Monday, May 28, 2018

The Law Of Averages

It had been a long grueling couple of weeks of trial...A Murder Trial..A Capital Murder Trial.....The Judge, a stern humorless man with strict attention to detail and law had had no love fro my wife, Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander
or her niece and second chair, Attorney Beverly West.
who were vigouresly defending  Dr. Barbara Farber, An Anesthesiologist accused of poisoning her terminally ill aunt to death...An Aunt who was days away from being placed in hospice...She allegedly switched her bottle of a pain killer and sedative with cyanide...Making for a horrible death....

The city was shocked and outraged at the death of the woman... An eyewitness, The woman's caretaker said she saw a woman running out of the house in a trenchcoat...

The Trenchcoat was brand new...It ironically had been purchased by Dr. Farber just a day before...The coat and the heels were found a block away.....

It all looked Hokey..
I investigated as did Assistant District Attorney, Rockland  Cambridge's investigator,
Gary Lockwood...Like me an ex homicide detective, now working for the D.A.'s office...


Rockland didn't trust the arresting detective,
Lieutenant Arthur Tragg's investigation and wanted to make sure he had a case worth bringing in....

We didn't work together but we came to some of the same conclusions..

One...The trenchcoat, although belonging to Dr. Farber, who said she hadn't worn it yet had no DNA or prints whatsoever on it...The heels were run down, in fact, one heel on the shoes was broken...Like the foot was too big for it...

Why would Dr. Farber, if she did commit the murder wear her brand new trench coat and then ditch it a block away for the police to find??...

It looked very suspicious...Plus the Caretaker never saw the face of the alleged woman who was rushing out..and she saw the mysterious figure from a distance...


Points Olivia and Beverly argued vigourously....
Rockland on the other hand who was a little ambivalent about facing the two women who beat him two times and forced him to drop charges two other times gave his most ardent and brilliant argument to the contrary...

The Judge, Jeffery "Death Row " Jefferson had no more love for him than he did Olivia and Beverly...He hated the media spectacle that this trial had become...He hated Olivia and Beverly arguing back with him...He hated Rockland's courtroom theatrics....He hated everything about this trial...

Still it dragged on for three weeks....

At the last minute...I discovered that our client lied about where she was on the night of the murder...I told Olivia and Beverly ,who were incensed...
 "It's not your fault honey bunny, I don't believe her!! Lying to us....Is she trying to get strapped to a table?" asked Olivia...
"I asked her where she actually was and she wouldn't tell me...but she swears she didn't kill her aunt..."said an equally exasperated Beverly....
Josie, our Para Legal rushed in with some papers...but was told by the Judge to stand down...The jury was coming back with a verdict...She had gotten back too late..

''Everybody Stand"said the Judge...
"We still might have pulled this off."whispered Olivia..

"I don't know Auntay...I don't feel good about this at all.." said Beverly....

Rockland's white shirt, which had been so crisp and pressed when he came in was completely drenched with perspiration.....He had won 101 consecutive cases since he last jousted with Olivia and Beverly...He was deeply worried about keeping his streak alive..

The Bailif read the verdict and passed it to the Judge....

"Dr.Barbara Farber, a jury of your peers has found you GUILTY as charged of first degree murder....You will be remanded to the county lock up for women until next week when I will pass sentencing..."said Judge Jefferson.

"No...NOOOO!!!  YOU CAN'T DO THIS....OH FOR GOD SAKE...I DIDN'T KILL MY AUNT...I SWEAR...I'M INNOCENT...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LAWWWWWWWD!!!" she wailed..

Beverly looked like she was going to be sick...She sat down and put her head on the table..
My wife Olivia stood stoic and stone faced and said nothing...

Josie hung her head.....

Since I had come to Philadelphia and began working as their investigator, Neither Olivia or Beverly individually or together had ever lost a case...but the law of averages says you can't win em all...Oh they had lost some appeals and had to appeal some things to a higher court, but they had never lost an actual case that they had tried and here they had lost a big one...
Rockland Cambridge on the other hand was joyous...

"YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" he yelled out and did the cabbage patch right there on the courtroom floor...He leaped up, He tossed his papers in the air....He pumped his fists..

"I DID IT!!! I BEAT THEM...I DID WHAT SO MANY OTHERS HAVE FAILED TO DO!!...I BEAT THEM..YOWSAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" he screamed...

The Jury was astounded...but they laughed heartedly...

Judge Jeff Jefferson was not amused..

"ADA CAMBRIDGE....YOU WILL COMPORT YOURSELF AS AN OFFICER OF THIS COURT OR I WILL HAVE YOU TOSSED IN JAIL FOR CONTEMPT....Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the hell with it...COURT DISMISSED!" he said..

It was the girl's first loss since they started their firm....Why did it have to be to him of all people? Sometimes Life was cruel...




II-
Court was emptying out.....

Barbara Farber was being handcuffed by a bailiff...She looked at Olivia..

"Liv..Bev...I swear I didn't do this..Please, don't let them kill me..Please...I swear, don't give up on me..."she pleaded..Tears were running down her face..

Olivia was stoic. As stoic as I'd ever seen her....

"I'm going to try to keep you off death row...That's all I can do for you."she said coldly..She felt betrayed by her client who had lied to her...A lie that had proven to be fatal!

"Liv please...Appeal this...I didn't kill my auntie...I swear...Beverly....I love my auntie as much as you love yours...Could you ever harm Olivia?   I couldn't harm my auntie...and for what?  What would be my motive?? A $65.000.00 dollar inheritance...That's all she left me and my sister in her will....Liv, Bev, I'm a doctor...I make twice that much a year...come onnn." she pleaded as the bailifs dragged her away in tears..

Beverly was speechless...She followed her aunt and I out into the hallway where Rockland was putting on a show...Reporters were eating it up!!

Again, he was doing the cabbage patch and leaping to the sky!!  A group of young African -American women who were not jurors...joined him doing the cabbage patch...

"Go Rockland...Go Rockland..Go Rockland, it's your birthday..Go Rockland....ut..ut..ut..ut...ut, ut.ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" they screamed and laughed along with him...

I'll say one thing for him....The man could dance...

"Go Rockland...Go Rockland..Go Rockland, it's your birthday..Go Rockland....ut..ut..ut..ut...ut, ut.ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" they screamed in glee...

Rockland then did the moonwalk to everyone's delight...Well almost everyone!

The Press was eating it up...

I DID IT!!! I BEAT THEM...I DID WHAT SO MANY OTHERS HAVE FAILED TO DO!!...I BEAT THEM..YOWSAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" he screamed..."MY STREAK IS ALIVE!!!! 102 consecutive courtroom victories...OHHHHHH WILL THERE EVER BE ANOTHER QUITE LIKE ME??"he yelled out.
His investigator, Gary Lockwood looked at him in disgust...

"One of him is enough." he said quietly...but I heard him...

I heard him and smiled a little bit...He walked out of the courthouse alone...
Beverly's mother ,Alfreda was there...She was clearly embarrassed by Rockland's shenanigans....She looked at her daughter....She walked over to her and held her and rocked her slowly..

"I'm sorry baby..."she said..

"It's alright Mommy...You can't win em all...The Law of Averages says we were bound to lose eventually..We had a great run..." she said..

She saw Olivia and I...

 "Heyy Alfreda...How are you doing?" said Olivia, trying to manage a smile..
"Hey Lady...First time I've seen you since you guys went to New York.."I said, trying to manage a smile..
"I'm sorry about this...I'm sorry about the way he's acting..He's acting like an ass!" said Alfreda ,who was thoroughly embarrassed..
"Mommy, Auntay and I high five when we win big cases...I guess he deserves this...It's good for him maybe.."said Beverly...Who was surprisingly understanding!

''What has Nelson done to my daughter?" said Alfreda, trying to make a joke..
''She's right you know..This is all a part of the job....We don't take these things personally...Well most attorneys we know don't...Your boyfriend is in a different world.." said Olivia..with an uncharactoristic bit of rancor...
"Tell Me about it!" said Alfreda.

III-
Rockland wasn't the only one celebrating...Lieutenant Tragg who had now brought in his second good case in awhile mugged for the press..

"Oh I knew she was guilty...When me and my men arrested her she looked at me with those cold narrow eyes of hers and despite her being a doctor...I knew I was staring into the FACE OF EVIL!!" he said dramatically...

He and Rockland actually took a photo together, smiling....They were hailed as the two men who brought a wanton killer to justice..

Amazing...Just months ago...ADA Cambridge was trying to get Lt. Tragg dismissed from the force for being a bungler...

Olivia and Beverly were asked how they felt about losing a big case for the first time...

"This isn't a spectator sport...A woman has lost her life and her niece may possibly be put to death...This is a tragedy all around..."said Olivia..

"There is no need to rejoice here ,regardless of the verdict.." Beverly said..
I was getting ready to whisk them out of court when Rockland grabbed Alfreda and planted a wet sloppy kiss on her lips..
"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..lawd woman,you are sexy as helllllll..."he moaned..

"I can't wait to get you in the bed tonight!" he said loud enough for people to hear...

"Have you lost your mind?  You're acting like a fool...Okay you won your case...I get that!"said Alfreda..

"Not Just any case..I beat them....My nemesis's " he said..



Looking at Olivia, Beverly ,Myself and Josie..
"You do realize that Beverly is my daughter and Olivia is like a little sister to me?" asked Alfreda icily...She was clearly not amused by his behavior and his seeming taunting of us..
"But I'm your man..." he said..
He kissed her again passionately and whispered..

"I can't wait to get back to your place...Come on...The Judge has gone for the day...Let's go back in his chambers..There's a couch there.." he said...

"NO!!! Take your hands off of me...Stop it..What has gotten into you?" asked Alfreda..

"Come on baby,loosen up, let's celebrate!" he said..and grabbed Alfreda around the waist..

She slapped him so hard that even I winced...
When these things happen...It seems as if the entire world, as if time stands still...
Lt. Tragg stood in amazement..

"WOW!" he said and smiled....
Judge Jefferson said- "YOWZA!"

"OH MY GOD!" exclaimed Olivia...
"MOMMY? WOWWWWW!" said a shocked Beverly...
 "OUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" said Josie...


Olivia, Beverly and Josie all stood in shock....
Judge Jefferson shook his head and snickered a little bit and walked out of the building..

"Those Crazy Negroes." he said to himself ...

Rockland held his jaw and let out a scream that sounded like a woman and ran for the door.....
Lieutenant Tragg busted out laughing and walked out, shaking his head...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ,that was rich....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" he laughed....

Everyone was so shocked they didn't know what to do...
Alfreda walked over to us...

"Would you uh, could you give me a lift home?" she asked..

"Sure..."I said..

"Mommy,it's okay, really...Auntay and I don't care about him and his celebrating..For real..We weren't bothered by that..You should apologize to Rockland....I know you didn't mean that!"said Beverly..

Alfreda hugged Beverly and kissed her...

"I know...but I DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY HE WAS CARRYING ON!  HE WAS ACTING LIKE A PARK APE!! Mama is alright baby...I just need to go home and get some rest..In fact...Is it okay if I hang out with you guys for a few hours..?" she asked.

''Sure, in fact...Your daughter is cooking dinner tonight...Come on over....Crack a bottle of wine with us..."said Olivia..

"You sure?" asked Alfreda..
"Mommy, I have an extra room...Stay with me and Nelson tonight."said Beverly...

''Yall Newlyweds...I don't think that would be a great idea.."said Alfreda..

"Our door is soundproof and our bed doesn't make a sound...Please Mommy...We'll run you home in the morning...You shouldn't be alone tonight."said Beverly...

"Come on Alfreda..We insist."said Olivia.
Alfreda smiled..She looked at Olivia and Beverly....

"My two girls....I used to look after you both ,now you're looking after me...Ohh Okay...I don't feel like hearing his whining and crying tonight..."she smiled..

"Liv, Bev...I need to show you something...I was trying to get to you in time..but traffic and red tape stalled me.."said Josie..

''Have dinner with us baby....I'll run you home afterwords...We'll look at that when we get home!"said Olivia.


The five of us were the last people to file out of the courthouse...

IV-
Within a few hours we all met in Beverly and Nelson's place for dinner..

Beverly fixed us a delicious Spaghetti Dinner...She was just as good a cook as her aunt..

Her husband, Nelson arrived just in time to sit down and have a plate..
He kissed Beverly...

"Heyyy Luscious...I heard about your case...I'm sorry baby..." he said..

''Did you hear about how Rockland carried on?"asked Beverly...

"Sure did...Everybody is talking about it...But the media is talking more about the fact that you two lost a case rather than he is the one who beat you...He might not like that when he sees tomorrow's news coverage or tonight.."said Nelson as he quaffed down his food..
''Nelson, Mommy is staying in the spare room tonight...You don't mind do you?" asked Beverly...
"Now you know I love Ms. J." said Nelson..Who stopped eating for a minute to hug Alfreda and kiss her on the cheek...

"Don't slap me Ms, J.. I'm just being affectionate.." he joked..
Alfreda laughed... "I wouldn't dream of it.." she laughed and kissed Nelson on his cheek... " So you uh heard about that huh?"she said.

"Everybody heard about it at the courthouse and was talking and laughing about it..."said Nelson...
"I'm sorry I did that...I didn't mean to embarrass and humiliate him...but he was acting like such a jackass...He could have pumped his fist, said "YEAH!" , but doing the cabbage patch, tossing his papers in the air and dancing around like a fool with those girls, then hollering out all loud that he wanted to get me in the bed...That was too much, I just got angry and exploded.."said Alfreda..
"I'll say...I've never seen you like that before.."said Beverly..

"How is your case going Nelson?" asked Olivia..


Nelson and Calvin Hunt had been working a murder case themselves for the past three weeks..

''We got an acquittal.." he said quietly...Embarrassed that he and Calvin had won and Beverly and Olivia had lost..

"It's okay...Win some lose some.."said Beverly sweetly...
"I wish I'd discovered she lied about her alibi sooner.."I said..

"It's alright...She shouldn't have lied.."said Olivia..
''So you guys done or what?"asked Nelson, who wasn't around to help them pick the jury on this case..
''We are going to try to save her from the death penalty..Then we are done.."said Olivia..
"Good Luck with that...Your Judge is Jeff "Death Row" Jefferson...That's all he gives out is death sentences..."said Nelson..

"That's what I was trying to show you Liv, Bev... Donnie Ray, your FBI friend, Sharon Hopkins

 hacked into the street cams on the night of the murder


, a little after the murder...and look at these photos..

"Oh my god..That's Dr. Farber..."I said..

''Yes and look how she's dressed...She's got on a different coat and different shoes...Her car was parked outside of that hotel at Penns Landing for hours...And there she is with an unidentified man...Going into the Hotel...and look who else is in the hotel" said Josie.
"That's her brother in law, Her sister's husband..."said Beverly...

''She could have changed coats and heels in the car....but no way she could have killed her aunt and made it across town to Penns Landing and that Hotel in this time frame...And look ,not a hair out of place.."said Olivia..

"She really didn't do it...But why was she at that hotel with her sister's husband?" asked Beverly...

"She wasn't there for coffee that's for sure....Ohhh Lawd ...You two...Wake up!  That's why she lied!!!!..She didn't want her sister to know she was at the hotel with her husband.."said Alfreda...

''Even to save her life?"I asked..

"And to never be able to look her sister in the face again...I understand.." said Olivia..
"Baby you put your foot in this food.."said Nelson, chowing down...

Beverly smiled..

"Goofball!" she said..

Olivia and I, Josie and Alfreda cracked up laughing....

"If I had had this in time....We could have saved her....It's not your fault Josie...She souldn't have lied to us."said Olivia..
"Yes, she should have leveled with us.."I said...
"She's actually innocent..."said Josie..."This proves it!" she added.
"She's Innocent of something , maybe murder...." said Alfreda..
"So what does this mean?" asked Nelson...
"It means I'm not only going to fight a possible death sentence , but I'm going to appeal the verdict.."said Olivia..
We cracked a bottle of Wine , Willie "Sweet Dick" Jenkins had sent me from New Orleans...
V-

 A week later...Olivia, Beverly ,Myself and Josie were in court with our client..

"Your honor, we intend to appeal the guilty verdict...We have compelling new evidence that may point to our client's innocence ." said Olivia..

"That is your right..as her attorney..."said The Judge... "But because of the henious and cruel nature of this crime and special circumstances...I have no choice but to sentence you, Barbara Annette Farber to die by Lethal Injection!!" he said and slammed his gavel down..

"OH MY GOD!! LIV! BEV, I SWEAR I DIDN'T DO THIS!" screamed Barbara...

''We are going to appeal."said Beverly who stared daggers at a now composed ADA Rockland Cambridge..
Who sat quietly...There was no demonstrations, no dancing, no fist pumping...

Josie and I sat quietly as Barbara Farber was handcuffed and taken to the prison bus..She'd remain in County for a few days and then be shipped to the correctional center for women at Muncy... She wouldn't be executed anytime soon...We had several appeals...Olivia had assured me.
Rockland walked out quietly....It had been a week since he'd seen or talked to Alfreda...
He stood outside her apartment complex...her lights were out and she didn't answer his calls or texts...His victory over Olivia and Bev had not been without cost...
In victory, Rockland had become...a man without a home.. On the corner.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

10 comments:

Toni said...

Again, he was doing the cabbage patch and leaping to the sky!! A group of young African -American women who were not jurors...joined him doing the cabbage patch...

"Go Rockland...Go Rockland..Go Rockland, it's your birthday..Go Rockland....ut..ut..ut..ut...ut, ut.ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" they screamed and laughed along with him...

I'll say one thing for him....The man could dance...

"Go Rockland...Go Rockland..Go Rockland, it's your birthday..Go Rockland....ut..ut..ut..ut...ut, ut.ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" they screamed in glee...

Rockland then did the moonwalk to everyone's delight...Well almost everyone!

I am over here crying ,this was so funny~!

Angie B. said...

I nearly peed myself laughing!This was good...Somehow I know Olivia and Beverly are going to turn this around!

Sunflower said...

What was brilliant about this was you made us laugh and then broke our hearts at the end with the break up of him and Alfreda.

Lisa said...

I never thought Rockland and Alfreda was a good match...She's too old for him..He's too immature for her!

Halo said...

I agree with Lisa...Never thought that was a good match..Rockland and Alfreda..He did act like a fool in court...Can't wait for the girls to turn this around and hand him a defeat!

Vanessa said...

I never thought Rockland and Alfreda was a good match either...And I agree ,She's too old for him..He's too immature for her! Plus...He still has feelings for Yvette Jones, always sniffing around ,trying to find out if she's dating anyone...Why?? He doesn't know his own mind...Alfreda doesn't need that!

Rita said...

Rockland dancing in court was hillarious enough, but that Judge going Yowza and then saying "These Silly Negroes" had me in hysterics!

Cheryl said...

Keith,I'm over here crying, this was hillarious!

Brenda said...

A great beginning for my week,Loved this!

George S. said...

This title makes sense...I expected those two to lose sooner or later.