Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Bayside Bust

 TWO NIGHTS LATER- Josie's Bar and Grill
 Gus the bartender called us...It was 2:00 am..

"Donnie Ray, Liv...Thanks for coming..He was so drunk...I ordered my folks to stop serving him..I took him upstairs to the spare room...He got cleaned up...He should be coming down shortly.." said Gus.,
 "Thanks Gus.." I said..
 "Britt...what are you doing here and drunk? This isn't you.."said Olivia..
 "Liv....Frank Castle is missing...He hasn't been seen in 12 days...and somebody shot Bert Johnson to death a few nights ago...The Philly police think it's me..I swear...I didn't kill him..I was over there that night and we did have it out...Pretty loud.. I was going to put him through the door, but I composed myself and I left..This was around 9:30 and I swear, when I left him..He was still alive..In fact, he threatened to sue me.."said a very disheveled and distraught Assistant District Attorney, Brett Reid..
 "I told you not to go see him...I told you to let us handle it... We drew up summons for Bert Johnson, Frank Castle and Velma Blue..We were going to serve them....in a civil suit...I told you to let us handle this...Now Frank Castle is missing...He probably got wind of it, Bert Johnson is dead and Velma Blue has moved out of that condo..." said Olivia..

"I'm sorry Liv...I'm so sorry, what can I do?" asked Britt..
 "You're coming with us...You're getting cleaned up and you're spending the night..." I said..

''After breakfast, you're going back to Bayside  to your home, where you will stay until we can sort this all out...You're a murder suspect here in Philly...Not there yet.." I said.
"Auntay...Nelson is here with the car.." said Beverly..

 We saw our Car out the front window..
 "Gus, thank you so much for calling us...We'll take him off your hands." said Olivia..
''Don't mention it...I figure he'd be better off with you guys than the GREAT DETECTIVE...you know what I mean?" laughed Gus..

 "We know EXACTLY what you mean."said Beverly..
 "Thanks again Gus.." I said..
 "Goodnight Gus...We'll come back for your car in the morning...I trust it's in the lot across the street right?" said Olivia.
 "Yes.Thank you so much Liv."said Britt Reid..
"Come on guys...Let's get out of here.." said Nelson.

As we got in the car and pulled off..



II-

Britt stayed in the spare room in Olivia and I's domicile.. The next morning, he showered and shaved and got dressed..

We prepared breakfast for him...

 Pancakes
 Hash Browns
 Sausages
 Omelettes to order
 Orange Juice
and Hot Coffee.

 "Liv, this is a breakfast fit for a king...Do you guys always eat like this?" asked a now rejuvenated Britt Reid..
 "Most days no..The closest we come to it is breakfast at Sam Mother's Diner...but today, we have no cases on our dockets..."said Olivia with a smile..
 'Except potentially yours if you are charged with anything."said Beverly..
 ''Yeah...You might not even be a suspect in Bert Johnson's murder..It's been two days and we haven't heard anything..I have a contact at police headquarters and he hasn't heard anything."I said.
 "Relax...After we finish breakfast...I'll take you to your car and do like we said..Go back to Bayside and lay low...At your place.."said Nelson..
 "I'm sure everything will be fine.." said Josie..
 "Trust me...if it wasn't...We'd of been getting a visit by now."said Paris,Josie's boyfriend, thoroughly enjoying his food..
"I know that's right.."said Alfreda, our office manager..

Britt looked around and smiled..

"Liv,I love it..These nice domiciles..You and Bev and your spouses live here...And a great office downstairs...Big Law Library, 64 inch monitors and modern equipment..Why you never have to leave here ,except to go to court.." he marveled..

 "That's the idea.."laughed Olivia.
 "And such a beautiful staff...
 Beverly...who is like your mini me..
 And Josie here...
 and your Office Manager...I'm going to just have to steal her away from you.." he joked..

They all laughed..

''Sorry honey...I'm taken.."said Alfreda..
"Most beautiful women like yourself are.." laughed Britt,

He relaxed...he had no idea he was the subject of a two city wide manhunt..




III-

Nelson took him to his car and he managed to make it back home to the suburban city of Bayside out of Philadelphia..But his freedom was short lived..

One day later..Lt. Tragg and two Homicide Detectives from Bayside and Bayside Police raided his home and arrested him on First Degree Murder charges..

 "You gave us a good run pal...but I'm a patient man...I got you and as soon as your extradition papers are signed by your good friend, the District Attorney, who I understand you are running against..We'll be taking you to Philadelphia to stand trial for murder my good man...Your campaign is toast."laughed Lt. Tragg.

 The two detectives ,who knew and liked Britt were apologetic..

"Britt man, we are soo sorry.." they both said..
"It's okay...you have to do your job....I need to call my attorneys.." he said..

Bayside had their version of the "Fishbowl" an interrogation room... Lt. Tragg sat with Britt..

 He interrogated him for 8 hours... ADA Britt Reid didn't say a word..He looked at him and smiled, which drove Lt. Tragg bonkers with rage..
 Finally he spoke..

"You do realize I am an Assistant District Attorney...I've been in this room with Detectives and suspects doing the same thing that you're doing now...You know I know how the game is played..
Do you really expect me to give YOU anything you can use against me?' he asked.
 "Look, we have your fingerprints in Johnson's apartment... We know that Johnson and you had a loud argument that night and we've got the murder weapon.."said Lt. Tragg..
 "An argument doesn't mean he killed anyone and I understand the gun has no prints or DNA whatsoever on it..Seems kind of circumstantial to me." said Olivia..
 Lt. Tragg was startled..

"Olivia!!! What are you guys doing here?? This is Bayside..Not Philadelphia.."said Lt. Tragg.
 "Hmm last I checked.. Auntay, myself , My husband and Josie girl passed the bar in the
State of Pennsylvania. This is still Pennsylvania....Seems like YOU are the only person out of their jurisdiction my esteemed Lieutenant."said Beverly with that innocent smile of hers..

Lt. Tragg was livid...and red as a beet.. He stormed out of the interrogation room...
 Nelson brought a Thermos .
"Brought some coffee for you" he said..

"And some doughnuts...Alfreda made em...They're hot out of the oven.."said Josie..

pouring him coffee and setting the doughnuts on the table..
"I've been doing some digging... Seems like there was a lot of calling between a Ralph Halibut, Frank Castle and Bert Johnson during the days before Frank Caste vanished and Bert Johnson was murdered..but we can get into that later.Do you know Halibut?" I asked..

 "Yeah...He's a slime ball...He was Frank Castle's  silent partner in the Development business..He stays in the shadows in the background...I could never put a tag on him...but I was developing a case against Castle and Johnson...If I could have indicted one of them or both, One of them would have rolled on Halibut.."said Britt..
 ''We can't worry about that now...We've got to get you out of here..It's pointless to arraign you here..They'll just rearrest you again in Philly..Let your D.A. sign the extradition forms.."said Olivia..
 "Once you're transferred to Philly..We'll get you arraigned and bail posted.."said Beverly..
 "Once we get you out, We'll find a place for you to stay.." said Josie....
 "So sit tight man..We are on it."said Nelson...
"I see...I'm quite impressed with all of you guys.." said Britt Reid..

Lt. Tragg was fuming..

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!  Every damn case I get...They wind up as the defense...Like radar...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT...HOW DID THEY GET ON THIS?" he screamed and stomped his foot in frustration.

IV-

ONE WEEK LATER-

 "Olivia, I hope it's a reasonable bail I can pay...Or else I'm just going to have to get used to being locked up...I'm telling you the week I've already spent locked up has been harrowing at best, I'm going to have nightmares about the experience.."said ADA Britt Reid..
 ''Just relax...Let's just see who the judge is.."said Olivia..
 "Yes...It all depends on the Judge.."said Beverly..
 ''We've been pretty fortunate here lately.."said Nelson..
 "All good things come to an end.."cau
"Ohhh look who the Judge is." I said..

 It was Judge Percy Reynolds, who smiled at us and stared balefully at Lt. Tragg...

who knew what was going to happen...
 ADA Margaret Barnes fruitlessly argued why a fellow member of the court should be held without bail... He was charged with a class A felony, Murder in the first degree...




While Olivia, Beverly, Nelson and Josie argued that the man had an unblemished record and was himself an Assistant District Attorney, and no flight risk!


Judge Reynolds set bail at $900.00 dollars.. We wrote a check for $90.00 and ADA Britt Reid and us walked out of the courthouse...
Lt. Tragg who would normally have been livid could have cared less today...He had his hand completely up ADA Barnes skirt the entire hearing, except when she had to stand up...feeling her legs, rubbing her behind and softly tugging at the waistband of her panties...she was smiling and allowing him to do this..

 After the hearing they both retired into the Judges Chambers ...
 "Oh Arthurrrrrrrrrrrr, you are such a badddddd boy.." she cooed, rubbing her finger across his lips..
 "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" he moaned...
 He had her skirt up , running his hands down into her panties and she had his trousers unzipped, fondling him to the point of delirium...
They were kissing passionately....

 "Guys, I can't thank you enough for getting me out...So what's the game plan..?" asked ADA Reid..
"We are going to book you into a Hotel under your real name..and you are to stay there, except when we need to meet or a court date." I said..

''Whatever you guys say..I'm just relieved to be somewhat free again.."said ADA Britt Reid.

 "Good , give us a chance to sort things out and build you a credible defense," said Olivia..
 "Once you get situated...I'll bring you a Portal...so we can communicate on a regular basis.."said Nelson.
 "It's going to be alright Britt."said Beverly...
 "Yeah...don't worry Britt, we'll get to the bottom of this.."said Josie...
"I feel better already.." said Britt.

I looked toward the sky...I saw a rainbow.. I smelled rain...That could be both a good and bad omen..


(TO BE CONTINUED)



No comments: