Thursday, June 16, 2022

A Face In The Crowd


 FRIDAY MORNING-

It was early, we were just getting to work... As was our habit.. We stopped off in our office first before going to breakfast...Today, we wouldn't have to....


A Delivery man delivered a Pastry Tray...Two pastry trays just for us..




along with coffee and orange juice and a bouquet of Yellow Roses....




"OUUUUUUUU LOOK AT THIS!" said Sofia...
"The Pastries and The Coffee and The O.J. is from Henry Lott Sr..  It says "For my brilliant legal team." said Jade.
"Ouuuuuu and these roses are from Jetty to you Ms. Virginia." said Bee Bee.

I knew that he really sent all of this to impress Ms. Virginia..We all knew by now that his attention was solely on her when he came up..
''Damn Ms. Virginia, you got any other male admirers with deep pockets?" asked Kahlil.

They all broke into laughter...

Ms. Virginia sighed...

"I wish I didn't." she said.. She whispered to Ms. Yvette..

"He had the nerve to stop by my apartment last night...before Jetty got there...He told me he wants me to come back to Chicago with him...Said that the Illinois Bar didn't suspend my license ,promised to set me up in my own firm just like Olivia's and promised another townhouse and a new car..." said Virginia.

"Wowwwwwwwww that is tempting baby girl....You going? You leaving us? " asked Ms. Yvette.

"NO WAY!!!  Vettie, he just wanted to get in bed with me...He'll say anything, offer anything to a woman to get them in bed, then when he's bored, he'll snatch it all from under you...He took everything from me, My car, My townhouse ,everything and replaced me with a new Black girl...Who must have been doing something better than me.. HE MARRIED HER! Now they're divorced ...She's dead and he realizes I'm out of prison and he wants me back all of a sudden...He didn't write me once or return any of my calls the entire time I was locked up... I wouldn't walk down the street with him.." snarled Ms. Virginia.

"He likes Black women, I've noticed that." laughed Yvette.

"His wife..His first wife..was white, blonde, busty, young... He had a son and a daughter with her..He always said she was demanding... What he really liked about Black girls is that , a man like him.. Mr. Moneybags approaches a girl like I was.. A young lawyer, fresh out of law school with student loans to pay and living in a small apartment suddenly has his interest... He paid my student loans, set me up in a townhouse and made me his personal attorney with a nice stipend and a new car and I was hooked.. I did anything he wanted...Anytime he wanted it...He took me around the world with him..." said Virginia.

''Did his wife know about it?" asked Jade.


"Not for a long time...but I'm certain by the time he moved his operation to New York and I along with him, she figured it out...She took him to the cleaners in the divorce.. I never saw Brenda Reid coming..
His second wife.. but by the time I got sentenced...She was living in my old digs and driving a new car." said Virginia.

"We are moving everything into the conference room Ms. Yvette." I said. I took the tray..
Kahlil took the Orange Juice..
Bee Bee took the coffee..
And Sofia took the Flowers, cut them , ran some water in a vase and put them on the desk in the front lobby.


"I could use a cup of coffee." said Jade.
"I could use everything...Come on Virginia...Join us." said Ms. Yvette.
''Okay, thank you." she said.

She really loved us.. all of us.. Her team...She felt a warmth , a togetherness she had never felt before..


We all gathered in our conference room and dug in, really enjoying our continental breakfast...Unlike the spread Jetty had given us a week before, there was only enough for the seven of us..



Speaking of the devil ,

Henry Lott Sr. hadn't exactly been sitting on his thumbs mooning over Virginia all last night..



He had spent the night with his other attorney, Brenda Jordan, who had hired us to represent him in this trial...


After flirting and hinting around to it for days, she finally relented and allowed him up to her condo...


"OHHHHHHHH..AWWWWW SWEEET BABY!!! UMMMMMM!" he moaned in between kisses...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHH, UMMMMMMMMMM HENRY....OUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" she moaned


"Brenda I've been wanting to get you in the sack since I first laid eyes on you....OHHHHHHHHHH!" he moaned..

She said nothing...She had heard this all before..


He slipped her thong off.....

"Ummmmm HENRY!!! OUUUUUUUUU!" she cooed.

"Sweeeeeeet Babyyyyyyyyy OUUUUUUUUUUUU!" he moaned silently.



"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! HENRY!" she cooed..

"Awww sweeet baby!" he moaned...as they made sweet love on her carpet....in her living room..



"HENRY....HENNNNNRY...HENRY..OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HENRY!" she screamed out

as they sat on the side of the bed...Kissing passionately, while she moved up and down, driving him to near delirium...

"AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW LAWWWWWWD GIRRRRRRL!" he moaned..


They finally moved to her bedroom where they made sweet love for the next EIGHT TO NINE HOURS.

"Ummmmm HENRY!!! OUUUUUUUUU!" she cooed.

"Sweeeeeeet Babyyyyyyyyy OUUUUUUUUUUUU!" he moaned silently.

The Bed squeaked something terrible and the headboard slammed hard against the wall...She experienced an intense orgasm that had her entire body trembling... His too!

Some hours later, He awoke, shaved and showered...Brenda was fast asleep, snoring lightly....


He made two phone calls... He ordered a Bouquet of Roses to be sent to Brenda's office..


in our old building...

She'd receive it when she got to work...


and the Pastry Tray, Orange Juice and Coffee to be delivered to our office..


Brenda was still sleeping quite peacefully when he left her condo...He was quite an operator.


II-

HOURS LATER-

Henry Lott Sr. walked into our office.... He looked pleased as punch...
Virginia sighed upon seeing him, but was relieved to see Yvette's Husband, Gary walk in...

"Heyy Gary." she said.
"Hey Virginia..was just in the area, thought I'd visit my wife.."laughed Gary...
''Awww How thoughtful...and here she comes.."
"Heyyyy baby." said a smiling,almost blushing Yvette.



"I was in the neighborhood ,so I figured I'd visit you..." said Gary as they walked into her office and she quietly closed the door

As soon as the door closed, they embraced in a slow sensuous kiss....

Bee Bee And Sofia were in the conference room/ law library studying depositions and witness statements and taking notes...as well as looking up predicates ,laws and past cases...
"This is the part of law that never gets seen on television or the movies." sighed Bee Bee.
"I know, but without it...We can't make a case." said Sofia ,Smiling.
In the media room..
Jade was looking at traffic cam and street cam footage from the day of the murder. Kahlil and I were going over witness statements and looking at the backgrounds of potential jurors and deciding on who we wanted, who we didn't want and a defense strategy...
"What you got goin on tonight?" asked Kahlil..
''Me and Bee Bee was thinking about  Chillin and watching TV..." I said.
"Hey Bee Bee, Sofia, Come in here a minute."said Jade.
"I need a break from this.."said Bee Bee.
"You can't wait until quitting time huh? To chill with your boo huh?  Just like me and Kahlil." said Sofia, who remembered a time when that was all the four of us could afford...
Jade showed us some footage from both Street Cams and Traffic Cams taken from the day of the murder.

We saw a man enter the Townhouse at  9:45am... At 10:15 he hurried out...11:00 am the Police and Coroners Office appeared and the same man was standing in the crowd...


Lt. Tragg and his men were taking statements from nearly everyone there..

Yet this man slinked away, never gave a statement...." said Jade

"I saw that guy before.." I said..

''He was in court, at the arraignment..."said Sofia.
''Yeah he was talking to Mr. Lott about something."said Bee Bee.
'We need to call Mr. Lott and ask him who that is." said Kahlil.
"No Need to call him.. He's already here...He's in the lobby mooning over Ms. Virginia." said Ms. Jade.
'And in the front office, Henry Lott Sr was indeed talking to Virginia..
"So you refuse to come to Chicago with me...Would you spend a couple of nights with me before I leave town?...You know where I'm staying baby. Girl I've been dreaming about you for months...I get an erection just entering this building." he whispered in her ear...
"No..Not a couple, Not One night...Like I told you...It's over between us." said Virginia..


"There you are...Hanky I've called you about ten times and texted you even more.. We've got to get this business with the townhouse dealt with...Now when can we sit down and hammer this thing out?" said Jack Broady..
"Broady what the hell are you doing here?" asked Henry Lott Sr.

"I followed you this morning when you left your lawyer's condo...We have to talk.." said Jack Broady...

Virginia heard that and knew that he didn't spend his night alone...He was with a woman...He was such a liar,such a womanizer, such a bullshitter, she thought.
Henry was furious that Jack Broady had come here and opened his big mouth and ruined what he thought he was doing..

At that moment.. Jade and I, Bee Bee, Sofia and Kahlil entered the lobby...


"We are going to lunch...You coming Virginia?" asked Jade.
"That's that same guy." I said.
''Sure is"said Bee Bee.
''Where is Ms. Yvette?? She must have stepped out..." said Sofia.
"Let's go...I'm Hungry.."said Kahlil...

"I'm putting the phones on hold.. Here I come." said Virginia, not even looking at Henry..
In Yvette's Office, She and her husband Gary were still kissing passionately....
''Ouuuu, you'd better go before you have my clothes off and have me on the couch." said Yvette, trying to catch her breath...
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that wouldn't be so bad." laughed Gary 

as they continued to kiss passionately..


III-


FRIDAY NIGHT- BAYSIDE ROLLER SKATING RINK.

We all wound up going to Bayside for a night of skating and fun... There were five D.J.'s from out of town spinning...

None of us had anything planned and Beverly called us all at the last minute just before we got off work.. We all readily agreed...This was in the words of Tony.. "Mad Cool"

''Mannn this was perfect...I didn't really have anything planned." I said.
"I know...I'm loving this."said Bee Bee.
"Five D.J.'s spinning too? Ouuuuuuuu!" said Sofia.
''Best way to end our week and prepare for trial on Tuesday..." said Kahlil.
"I know right? If Beverly hadn't called, we were just going to spend the afternoon watching TV and eating popcorn." said Jessica.
"I think everybody was planning to do that." said Chip.
"Thank God for Olivia and Beverly..." said Cousin Kayla.
''Damn, Olivia has her own law practice and she owns a bus service too!  It's just too much." exclaimed  Ray..."You Bennett women are ballers." he said. The Buses kept us from having to drive..Meaning we could eat and drink to our hearts content..
''I am loving this.."said Jazzy as she and the rest of us skated around the rink..
"I am too!" said her husband..
"Five D.J.'s spinning too? Ouuuuuuuu!"said Beverly....
"This is the bomb! Nice way to end a busy week." said Nelson..
"Fun, relaxing and No Lt. Tragg.." said Josie..
"Yeah...Don't mention him.." said Paris.
"This is so much fun, so romantic.." said Bresha, skating with her husband, Tony...
"I know I over say this...but it's Mad Cool." laughed Tony...

The "Adults" all sat at a Table where all the drinks and food was..

Martinis for the ladies.
Beers and waters for the guys.
Hot Dogs and Cokes
And Burgers and Fries..

"Oh this is great...I had no idea of what to do tonight.." said Yvette.
"I'm sure I coulda thought of something...but this is cool too!" laughed Gary...
"It was Bev's idea... It was soo last minute...I didn't know if we could catch everybody or not." said Olivia.
"Luckily she caught you guys before you left work.."said Donnie Ray..
"It's been quite a week...I've needed this." said Jade.
"Lt. Tragg has been to your old building four times this week and has been livid that you guys "are never in" He has pestered me about your wherabouts...It hasn't occurred to him that you're no longer working there...He is an idiot." laughed Danny Ho.
"I could have told you that." laughed Alfreda.
"We all could have." said Rockland..
"I'm so glad you came." said Virginia to Jetty.
"Girrrrrl , as hard as you made me cum last night, wasn't no way I wasn't coming." he whispered in her ear raffishly...

"Oh My goddd you are sooo nasty." exclaimed Virginia, blushing and laughing at the same time.

While we partied in Bayside....



Henry Lott Sr. knocked on her door and rang her doorbell...He realized that she wasn't at home.. It was a Friday Night..

He stuck his head in all of the night spots he knew that she liked to frequent..

JOSIE'S BAR AND GRILL
AQUA BAR!!
STOLEYS

THE MERMAID CLUB..

Neither she nor any of the young attorneys she hung out with were there tonight...A Friday Night.



and cruising through their neighborhoods...None of them appeared to be at home tonight either... Where could they all be? He wondered.


CURLEYS BAR!


ADA Denver Miller was drinking a bottle of Tequilla...


He was close to falling off the bar stool..


It's truly odd when Lt. Tragg is the voice of reason...

''Denver...Denver.. You've had enough... I'm going to drive you home....You do realize Trial begins on Tuesday Morning don't you?" he said.


''And you do realize this is Friday Night? A Far cry from Tuesday Morning...Heyyyyyyy Artie... What I need you...What I need youuuuuuuu, Hiccip! What ,What, What I need you to do is to go back over that crime scene...See if you can scare up some witnesses who ACTUALLY SAW SOMETHING OR SOMEONE....If you can find some prints or DNA that the guys might have missed...THAT, THAT WOULD..That would..That would be very helpful...Hiccup.." he said.

Even drunk ,he made valid points...


But like anyone else trying to talk to Lt. Tragg, it was a waste of time , as if no one had said anything at all....He had no intention of doing those things at all.. As far as he was concerned...He had brought in a good case.

"Join me in a drink Artie." said Denver..


The two men sat down and finished off the bottle of Tequilla.


IV-

MONDAY MORNING-

We had all had a great weekend.. we were putting the finishing touches on our defense... The Preliminary hearing was tomorrow.
"We are as ready as we'll ever be guys." said Ms. Yvette.
"Henry's alibi checks out and we have Credit Card receipts, Debit card receipts and  Traffic Cam, Street Cam and Store cam footage to verify everywhere he said he was and the time period."said Bee Bee.
"Lt. Tragg could have done all of this and we wouldn't even be here right now." I said.
"We found Balki and Karen and they verified his whereabouts and have agreed to testify." said Kahlil..
"Plus Henry said he hadn't been to the townhouse in about a month ,since his wife got the restraining order..There are no prints of his or DNA in that townhouse at all...and not one witness said they saw him there...We could wrap this up in a few days.." said Sofia.
"Good stuff, we are ready to go...Jade?" said Ms. Yvette.
''That Face in the crowd we saw...His name is John Broady, Known as "Jack"
JOHN "JACK" BROADY

Born and raised in Philadelphia PA.

Educated in Philadelphia Public Schools.

B.A. - Business Administration- PENN STATE UNIVERSITY...

Realtors License -Pennsylvania.

Owner Broady Real Estate -Philadelphia..

Had undergone both a personal bankruptcy and a business bankruptcy...

Was charged two years ago with tax evasion, corruptly endeavoring to obstruct the internal revenue laws, making a false statement to a bank and failure to file tax returns,

After a lengthy trial...Charges were suddenly dropped.

Was in negotiation with Henry Lott Sr. for his townhouse...The money from this Townhouse and a suitable renter would put him back in the red financially...

''He needed that Townhouse.. but Lott couldn't sell it to him as long as his wife held on to it..She hired some good attorneys who could have possibly of won and then nobody, not he ,nor Lott would have had that Townhouse." I said.


"With her dead...There is no suit to be fought...All that's left is for Lott to work out the deal and sell the townhouse to him.."said Kahlil.
"Which he could have done...but he's been so busy sniffing around Ms. Virginia he hasn't had the time."said Sofia.

''We have film footage of him at the Townhouse and leaving the Townhouse that co-incides with the murder and of him in the crowd as the body was brought out...He slipped away before Lt. Tragg or his men could interview him...Looks mighty suspicious to me." said Bee Bee.


"Looks like this Face in the crowd is very interesting... He needs to be subpoenaed before the end of today if at all possible." said Yvette.


THE OFFICE OF ATTORNEY BRENDA JORDAN-


"Okay Mr. Broady...The papers are all drawn out... You sign here and Mr. Lott will sign here..

"HOT DIGGITY DANG....YOU DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!" said a jubilant Jack Broady..


"Oh I can imagine." said Henry Lott Sr. drolly....

Both men signed the papers..


"And with that..the Townhouse officially belongs to Broady Real Estate." said Brenda.


"I've got two potential buyers lined up." said Jack Broady, smiling..

Virginia walked in just then and plopped the subpoena in his hands..

"Mr. Broady...This is a court summons for you to appear in court as a material witness in the Henry Lott Murder trial." she said.
"WHAT? WHAT THE DEVIL IS THIS? WHAT HAVE I GOT TO DO WITH THAT?" he protested.
"Jack, what is this about?" asked Henry, knowing his attorneys must have a damn good reason for subpoenaing him as a material witness.
"DAMN IF I KNOW HENRY!" said Jack Broady.


"Virginia!! What is this about baby?" he asked gently..


''You'll find out in court." she said as she walked toward the elevators.





"Damn! That's a sexy woman!" thought Henry Lott Sr.

(CONCLUSION NEXT!!!)

No comments: