Monday, March 14, 2016

Murder Drops In


 PHILADELPHIA, 2041-

A rare night on the town for me and my wife...I'm Detective Nate Nellis, Homicide...My Wife, the former Detective Monica Talbert is now Detective Monica Nellis, also with Homicide...She's my partner in crime and my partner in life you might say...

Tonight was that rare night that we weren't working, just out on the town...We had been to a movie and we had stopped for Ice Cream...Now we were just walking...

"Mo-Mo..Look at this high rise condo.."I said...

"It's beautiful Nate...It lights up...."said Monica...

"It's got a heliport on the top and a place for Flying cars.." I said...

"You checked it out didn't you?" she asked, laughing...

"Yeah ,when they first built it...When I was still married to Nyla...I dreamed of us moving in there...but I didn't make enough money and she was kind of job challenged then..." I said dreamily...

"Don't you like the duplex we share with my sister?" asked Monica..

"I love it...It's great..but this was before I knew you....I mean I had seen you around, but I didn't know you and I had no idea..you and I would be together..."I said..

Monica leaned on my shoulder and hugged me..

"I know bae...I used to walk by places and dream of living in them too...Too many places to name.." she said.

We had had a good run lately...We had cracked the Meat Packing murders just a week before and the week before that we had cracked a double murder at a payroll office...The Lieutenant had given us both a few days off and we had been making the most of it...

Going out dancing...Taking in movies...Eating out at all the places we said we wanted to go when we had a few days off and some lightweight shopping..Making love around the clock!!!

''We got another day Bae and then we return to work.." said Monica...

"Yeah, the city has been calm...Maybe we'll have a few quiet days in the squad room before another murder drops in our lap..."I said.

"We can only hope partner.." said Monica.

It was almost as if I was clarivoyant...No sooner than the words had come out of my mouth...a bystander looked up and screamed...

"OH MY GOD LOOK!"

Monica and I and everyone on the street looked up...

Someone screamed !

A body...a young woman's body came flying out of the window on the top floor of the condo and came zooming down into the street....

It crashed into the top of a parked car...

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" screamed onlookers...

"Oh My God!" screamed another woman...

A young man who witnessed the entire thing vomited on the side walk...

 My wife, Detective Monica Nellis looked at the gruesome sight...and then turned to me...

"Well partner...any more predictions?" She asked..
 I shrugged my shoulders and smiled uneasily......


II-

It was a mess....A woman, about 25 or 26, blond, Caucasion had either jumped or been thrown from the top of the very High Rise condo we had been marveling at...

Since we were actually at the scene..We called it in as soon as the first uniform responders arrived...

I looked at Monica...

"Did you call your sister?" I asked..

"Yeah...She's on her way...What a mess...." said Monica..

"I'd hate to be the owner of this car...Come down here and find out your car is smashed like this.." I said..

Monica checked the body....

"She was fully dressed ,except for her shoes.... She could have jumped...Or she could have been pushed...We know she fell from the top floor....There is a terrace up there...I just sent some uniforms up...As soon as my sister gets here..We'll go up and have a look see." said Monica..

"Wow...If she lived here...We can get her ID....Let me go talk to the building manager..."I said...
"Officers..,.get these people away from here..back this crowd up."said Monica..

"Yes Detective." said the officer.

The streets were crowded with people...I was so glad when my sister in law, Coroner and Forensic Investigator, Dr. Monique Talbert showed up...

 "Hi Brother in law." she said and kissed me softly....''Where is my sister?"she asked..

I pointed to the building...

"She's inside with some officers" I said..

She looked at the body of the deceased...Still inside the car...Her blue lifeless eyes staring lifelessly at us...

She motioned to two of her assistants....

"Get her out of there...get a stretcher..."

Monica walked up just then...

"Hey Sis.." she said...

"You don't have anything better to do on your day off...but catch murders?" she joked..

"You would think huh?  We were coming from the Ice Cream shop down the street, when she just dropped out of the sky and landed inside this car..." said Monica..

"Uh Huh...A likely story..."joked Monique..


One of the uniform officers ran outside of the building...

"Detective..We found the room and the terrace our vic was tossed from." he said..

"Come on Partner...Let's go up..."said Monica..

''Right behind you..Coming Monique ? I asked..."

"Awwww ,alrightttt!" she jokingly said...

Just then Lt. Cotton and Detective Kylie White drove up...As usual ,he pinned a Gardenia on Monique's dress and gave her a kiss....His kiss lingered a little and he attempted to run his hands up under her dress, she laughed and moved his hands...

"You are sooo bad Frankie....I told you...Not in public.." she giggled..

"I'm always gonna try." he laughed raffishly...

"I know."laughed Monique.

''What do we have here?" he asked.. He then looked at our victim ,and the crashed  roof of the car...He shrugged and then he grimaced...

"Ugggh..She did a header from up there?" he said... Then he looked at us..."What are you two doing here?" he asked..


''Lieutenant...Nate and I were walking from the Ice Cream shop down the street when she just dropped out of the sky and landed inside this car..." said Monica..

 "Just dropped out of the sky huh?" he said smiling...

"Lieutenant, that's what happened.."I said...Then I looked at Kylie..."What are you doing here?" I asked.

"They called me soon after this happened...before you two identified yourselves I suppose.." she said.

"You want this case?" I asked..

"No, you two got it...I'm getting ready to have a few days off, starting tomorrow...And you two are due back..." she laughed...

"Well since we are all here..Let's take a look at the dead woman's room at least.."said Lt. Cotton.

III-
''Wow...Nice spread...What do you think a place like this goes for Nate?" asked Lt. Cotton ,looking around..


I scanned the room...Very expensive clothing and accessories...Whoever our victim was..She had money..

"You could swing it Lou." I joked...

Lieutenant Cotton and I both busted out laughing...

''She either had a live in boyfriend or a frequent visitor "said Monica..

"And you know this how partner?" I asked..

"I found a pair of male's shoes under her bed...and two toothbrushes in the bathroom....Kind of like my apartment was ,when we started dating seriously." she said...


Monique and Kylie snickered a little...

"There was a fight in the bedroom....I found blood on this end table...Lots of it and she was tossed off of that terrace outside of her bedroom...My guess is she was dead before she hit the ground..."said Monique..

"The killer had to be somebody she knew...There is no sign of forced entry..." said Lt. Cotton..

"Well I know our victim's name...I found her pocket book and her phone... It's Yvette Smallwood..She's twenty nine...and she's an attorney...She's co-counsel for a very affluent lobbyist...Cal Winston.."I said.

"I know him...or at least of him..He's friends with the mayor..."said Lt. Cotton...

"I found a second phone...with only one number in it...and apparently a slew of calls, the day before uh, this happened.."said Monica...

"Ouuuuu this sounds juicy....Glad you guys got it...I like the simple ones...Easier to crack." joked Kylie..

"Kylie...You gone make me and Nate take this case? We will just be getting back to work...I thought you was my girl?" joked Monica..

"Now Mo-Mo girl..You know I love you and your sister more than I do my play cousins...but I need a few days off..BADLY!!!" she said..

"More than your play cousin...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA."laughed Monique...
"That's okay..Me and Mo-Mo got this...It may be real simple...I'm bettin we crack this in 48 hours or under.." I said.

" A dollar says you don't...This looks like it's going to be complicated..."laughed Kylie..

"I'm in...I'm with my hubby...48 hours or under..." laughed Monica...

"I don't believe this...Some respect for the dead....My detectives making cheap wagers like that? If you're going to bet..Let's make this wager interesting...and let me get in on this...$100.00 dollars on Nate and Monica.." he said.

"Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..you're on..you guys down?" said Kylie..

 ''We down, you with me bae?" I asked Monica
"I'm with you until the end of time bae." said Monica and we high fived each other..
Monique shook her head...

"I don't believe what I'm hearing......but since we bettin..I'm gone go wit my girl Kylie...This looks complex.....Here's my $100.00...This may take longer than 48 hours to crack.."said Monique..

"Sis?" said Monica..

"Kylie has to have somebody on her side." said Monique shrugging..

And thus one of our strangest cases began....

I looked out the window...It was a beautiful night...Spring would be starting in a week or two..Already the air was lighter, warmer...

And somewhere in this teeming city was a murderer..A murderer my wife and I were pledged to capture and bring to justice.

(TO BE CONTINUED)


3 comments:

Toni said...

I just love these two.

Angie B. said...

Nate and Monica are cute...I love their cases!

Sunflower said...

What's with people dropping out of windoww? Didn't Sissy and her detectives have a simular case?