Tuesday, October 17, 2017

And Two For The Show

Monique had news for us the next day...It wasn't good..

''We didn't get any prints or DNA off of the Gun...The killer used gloves..Latex gloves like ours..."said Monique..
"What about the Flying Car?" asked Monica.
"Negative,It was bleached down thoroughly...No prints, not even it's owner and no DNA...but we did get one thing...Footprints left in the mud by the docks...I had a plaster cast made....We know it's a men's size ten and it's a Lugs work boot...Several of them sold in the area.." said Monique..

''Arghhhhh, I'm going to check every retail store...See if any recent sales were made..."I said..

"And I'm going to put a team on the sewers and the trash bins...maybe we'll get lucky and find those latex gloves...turn em inside out we'll get latent prints and DNA.."said Monica...
"That's what I like to hear...My detectives working hard..."joked Lt. Cotton...
"We'll check the traffic cam and street cam...Maybe they picked up this guy after he ditched the flying car...I'll call the Helicopter Sky Patrol...They had to have seen something during our time line yesterday."I said.

"Once we get that in motion...We need to stop by that detailing place where you had your flying car detailed."said Monica.
"Yeah..."I said.

"Not to put any pressure on you guys....but the Mayor wants action on this and fast...Frank Bopper was one of his golfing buddies." said Lt. Cotton...
''We are on it Lou..Let's get some breakfast first partner..."said Monica..

"Okay.." I said..

''All this time and you still haven't brought this man breakfast yet....He's always bringing you coffee...Some partner.." joked Lt. Cotton..
"I'm a good partner...I give him more than the average partner gets." said Monica, smiling...

"I just know you do.." said Lt. Cotton, laughing...

"Coming Partner?" asked Monica..

"Right behind you babes." I said.

"You are so whipped.."laughed Lt. Cotton...

"Leave my brother in law alone...You've got ten minutes to get in your office, lock that door and drop your trousers." whispered Monique in Lt. Cotton's ear...\

Lt. Cotton blushed...
"Coming Frankie?" asked Monique, smiling wickedly...

"Right behind you babes." he  said.

II-

By the time Monica and I co-ordinated teams to be on the Traffic , Street and sky Cams and requisitioned Bloodhounds and a team to search the dumpsters and sewers for a 15 mile radius...and beyond..It was close to Nightfall...This murder was nearly 24 hours and we were working it hard , but finding no clues what soever...

''You know...Whoever committed this murder is good. Almost like they know what we'd be looking for and eliminated it.."I said.

''You mean almost like a cop huh?  " said Monica as we walked into the detail shop where I had my car detailed..

''Yeah...Unlike our average case, this killer has certainly left nothing to chance... He knows what we would look for too.." I said..

"I keep thinking of someone else we dealt with who was good like this..." said Monica.

We went inside....The manager, Joe Jones recognized me..

''Heyy Nate.." he said..

"Hey Joe...Yesterday...When I brought my flying car in to be detailed...Who were the guys that gave it the wash...The interior cleaning?" I asked..

"Oh yeah....Jose....You know Jose..." he said..

"Yeah I do...but wasn't there another guy? A guy I didn't know.?" I said.

"Oh yeah, Speck..Dick Speck....He quit today....He was a weird guy..."said Joe.

"You got an employee photo and an address?" asked Monica..

He looked around...

"No..I don't...he was supposed top turn in his Photo ID...He didn't..."said Joe.

"You have a phone number and an address?" asked Monica..

"Yeah, right here."said Joe... "He in trouble?" he asked.

"We need to talk to him.." I said.

I called his number....

"It's disconnected..." I said.

''We need to go to this address..."said Monica...Just then , her smartphone vibrated..

"Monica Nellis, Homicide.." she said.

"Hello Monica...."came the voice..

A video came on her phone....It showed a woman in an empty apartment being shot twice and then a third time...

The woman fell to the floor , dead!

"Did you see that?
ONE FOR THE MONEY
AND TWO FOR THE SHOW!
THREE TO GET READY
AND AWAY I MIGHT GOOOOOOOOOOOO...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Monica looked as if she'd seen a ghost..

''What's wrong Bae?" I said.
"I just got a call simullar to the one you got yesterday...I think our killer just dropped another body...Only I don't know where...but look at the video..." she said and showed me and Joe her phone...

A video came on her phone....It showed a woman in an empty apartment being shot twice and then a third time...

The woman fell to the floor , dead!

"Did you see that?
ONE FOR THE MONEY
AND TWO FOR THE SHOW!
THREE TO GET READY
AND AWAY YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOO...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Joe and I gasped...

"Holy Smokes" said Joe!

"Oh My God!" I said..."Well, let's go to this address....If Nobody is there...Then we wait and see if a murder is reported."I said...Seeing that murder was a bit upsetting...I was shook!
"Come on Partner, Let's go..."said Monica.... As she left she said to me... ''Partner, something about that voice...I recognized it..I've heard it before..but I can't place it..." said Monica.
"Well let's see if this guy can shed some light on what happened to my car yesterday." I said.

III-
Once we found the apartment of Dick Speck...The mystery of the location of our second murder was solved..

A woman was sprawled across the floor....dead....She had been shot three times....twice in the head and once in the chest....Blood was splattered across the walls....
Like the day before...A gun was left in the corner...With a home made silencer...


 Monica and I questioned everybody in the building. Nobody remembered hearing anything and nobody remembered seeing the tenant in room 665..The landlord said he was paid electronically...".but that he only talked to Mr. Speck on the phone." He never actually met him.

"This place smells like bleach...." said Monica.

 "That means no prints, no DNA..." I said.


''Dick Speck is probably a phony name...We've got only two people who have actually seen him and we haven't got a clue as to who he is.." said Monica.

"Call your sister...I want the doors leading to all the exit's checked...He might have touched something...and we'll pull some more people , get em to check the street cams , traffic cams, atm cams and business cams..."I said.

"Her Purse is in the sink..." said Monica...

It had credit cards, debit cards and about $750.00 cash in it...and her drivers license...Her name was Callie Jordan... It had her work id also...She was a waitress at the diner across the street from the car detailing shop..

They had cameras...Now we could get somewhere...

IV-


Monique and her team was here within the next half hour...They snapped photos and dusted the apartment for prints and DNA...Prints and DNA I knew they weren't going to find...

Monique observed the body...

"She's been dead about an hour, hour and a half..." she said.


 Lt. Cotton looked at Monica and me..

''Same M.O. huh? Killer called you Nate?" he asked.
"No..He called Mo-Mo.." I said.





Monica showed him her phone..

"Monica Nellis, Homicide.." she said.

"Hello Monica...."came the voice..

A video came on her phone....It showed a woman in an empty apartment being shot twice and then a third time...

The woman fell to the floor , dead!

"Did you see that?
ONE FOR THE MONEY
AND TWO FOR THE SHOW!
THREE TO GET READY
AND AWAY I MIGHT GOOOOOOOOOOOO...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"


 Even Lt. Cotton looked stunned...

"Oh My God...We got a nut on the loose....You guys have got to catch him...He's going to kill again...He's telling you he's going to kill again..." he said,.


''I swear...His voice sounds familliar...Like somebody I know...I just can't place it..."said Monica...


''Try Mo-Mo, Try...He's going to kill again and soon..." said Lt. Cotton...

We split up....
I notified next of kin and talked to as many of the waitresses family members as possible....None of them knew a thing...None of them saw much of her...
Monica and I went to the diner she worked in...We talked to her boss and all of her co-workers..They loved her , no one had a bad word to say about her...And nothing about her last day was out of the ordinary...

We both checked her financials, nothing out of the ordinary...She attended Community College...We interviewed her teachers and classmates and old boyfriends...Nothing...

We did get a ATM cam photo of her being caught at gunpoint and driven back to this apartment...I even got a license plate number of the car...It was reported stolen...

We found the car...Bleached down...No prints, No DNA...

I did pull a Street cam photo of a shadowy man , about six foot ,two, caucasion, exited the building and running on foot just minutes after we speculate the murder occurred...
Monique's team got the boot prints...Made a plaster cast out of them...They matched the boot print from the day before...

I was sure we were looking for the same killer..

"I cross checked Bae...This woman and our first victim didn't know each other and their paths never crossed...They were picked at random..." said Monica..

"Damn...This is really frustrating..."I said..

"You two have been working both of these cases around the clock..Go home, get some sleep...." said Lt. Cotton...


Neither Mo Mo nor I was inclined to argue with him...We were both beyond the point of exhaustion...72 hours and we had two fresh homicides and weren't even close to solving either of them...
Two things I was sure of...One ,We were looking for the same killer in both cases and two...before we caught whoever this was...someone else was going to die...It was not a good thought at all!

(DEFINITELY TO BE CONTINUED)



10 comments:

Toni said...

Ummm This is a nice juicy mystery....Love it!

Angie B. said...

This is a little unsettling...Somebody killing people at random and taunting two detectives...Definitely somebody with a grudge...Somebody we've seen before???

Sunflower said...

Definitely a little unsettling.

Lisa said...

I love Nate and Monica's stories....I'm guessing this is somebody we've seen before..If Only Monica could recognize the voice on the phone!

Halo said...

If Only Monica could recognize the voice on the phone!

Vanessa said...

I'm hooked now..Have to know who is behind this...

George S. said...

Somebody killing people at random and taunting two detectives...Definitely somebody with a grudge. Tried and true plot device....Let's see what you do with this..

Rita said...

You haven't written a stale story line yet, even when you have used old plot devices...

Brenda said...

True! He hasn't...and I like what he's throwing in the pot so far!

Cheryl said...

Considering whoever this is has left little to no clues at all...We know it's an ex-cop..I'm beginning to remember an old adversary of Nate and Monica's who was jealous of her sucess...It was from the beginning, before they got married..I believe!