Friday, October 6, 2017

Old Ghosts

Our celebration was cut short... Prostitute, Brenda Robinson was found dead...in the same hotel We had just interviewed her in hours before..

The Street cameras had been disabled...Nobody had seen anybody enter or leave and the only prints in the room besides Brenda's was mine and  Ronnie Tacketts.

I looked at the body and gave a positive identification...I showed the Detectives my identification and told them I had been with her just hours before..

'"We know..We got photos of you and her in the bar and then going up to the room we found her in."said one of the detectives...

Now how did they get that information that fast? I wondered.

"I was with him too!...we have a complete recording of the entire meet in that room...I'll turn it over to you guys.." said Ronnie Tackett..

The detectives knew him, knew he was a former ADA...They trusted him.
A crowd gathered around as the body was put in the Medical Examiner's wagon...

 Olivia walked over to me...She had an envelope with her...She looked angry....She pulled out a glossy of me talking to Brenda and her walking up to my room in that hotel...

"You've got a lot of explaining to do big boy?" she said and then busted out laughing..
''Awww Auntay, you can't keep your composure for nothing...We was gonna have you going Donnie Ray"laughed Beverly, who hugged me..
"I know..I know..I'm sorry..."laughed Olivia, who knew where I was and what  I  was doing there...

She whispered in my ear...

"No way you could have been with her and had the energy to put it on me like you did last night...Woooooo, My legs are still shaking a bit." she said and hugged me..

Just thinking of the night before and what we did in that bedroom got me aroused again..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Donnie Ray you're as hard as an Iron Pipe....Ouuuu,oh mah lawd...Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she moaned...

"You make me that way.."I said..

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..." she said..

Her skin was soft and silky smooth like a newborn baby and she smelled great....Her kisses were butter smooth.

I was losing my mind as Olivia kissed me and moved up and down and moaned softly...
"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Donnie Ray....Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, you are hitting my spots just right....Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she cooed..

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lawd!!" I moaned...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,oh my lawd!" she moaned...

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmm girl....ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.."I moaned..

Her kisses got slower and more sensual....I felt like I was going to melt.....

Her body was so moist ,so warm.....

SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS gently passed by as we continued making love in that comfortable chair by the window....No bed rattling and squeaking, just slow sensual lovemaking...

I came so hard...I thought I might go blind.....Olivia was crying like a little girl, tears just running down her face...her body trembling...Mine trembling too! She kissed my shoulder and my chest....

"Girl, I want some more..."I'd said..
"You're a greedy man mister...Awww come on..." Olivia said and took me by the hand and led me to our bed..

Where we resumed making sweet love....I guess our noisy neighbor wasn't home..no banging on the walls..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuu Sweet sweet mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn.." moaned Olivia...

"Damnnnnnnnnnnn girl, you are driving me crazy..." I moaned...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuu lawdd,Donnie Rayyyyyyyyyy..ummmmmmmmmmmmm..." she moaned..

I was cumming so hard, I couldn't breathe! I had fallen asleep on Olivia's chest...



It was a nice memory ,But the fact remained...somebody was trying to frame me...It didn't take a guess as to who....This was the handy work of that slick and slimy Hayley Cogswell..

Hayley Cogswell had no idea we had a video tape recording of the entire meeting and a signed deposition..There was a copy in a safe deposit box downtown...and We had a copy..We would give a third copy to the Police and the District Attorney's Office.
"How was she killed ?" asked Ronnie Tackett...

"She was choked to death, Strangled..."said one of the detectives...

We walked back to our car....Nelson and Josie were standing there ...

"I don't understand...We won..We got his conviction overturned basically without her testimony..Why kill her?" asked Nelson.
''Yeah, why kill her?" asked Josie.
''Because...The cornerstone of their case was the sworn testimony of two witnesses..Two who are now deceased...He can still use their original testimony to bolster his case when he plans to retry..."said Olivia.
"But we have an ace in the hole ...Her recorded testimony and a signed deposition."said Beverly...
"Yeah, but juries are funny...It would have been much better if she was alive "said Olivia.
"Their plan to frame me and cause a little division in my marriage was dirty pool....So I plan to have a little fun with Mr. Cogswell."I said.

''What do you have planned..?" asked Olivia.
''Nothing you need to know about sweetheart...Nelson, drive Livy back to the hotel...Shortcake...I need you to make a phone call...You too Josie, but not here in New Orleans..We are going for a ride ,out of town..."I said.
"Ouu this sounds like fun.."said Beverly..

"Yeah" said Josie..

II-
"AH Don't Know what you're talkin about...This is my opponent trying to scandalize my name and sling mud.." screamed Hayley Cogswell..

"Is it true...That you knowingly hid evidence in the Washington Case and FOUR OTHER CASES..You had the dead prostitute knowingly commit perjury??"asked reporters...

''What dead Prostitute?? Ah Didn't know any dead prostitute? No of course not...Ah would never ask anybody to perjure themselves..This is all lies, all part of a plan to scandalize mah name!" he protested...
Danny Graber whispered in his ear...

"The calls came from Baton Rouge around midnight boss.....They came from two burner phones sir, untraceable...And the cops have a video of that broad telling Tackett and Alexander that you got her to perjure herself, not only in Washington's case, but in four others..." he said.

"WHATTT???Baton Rouge???....Get on the phone ,call our guy there on the BRPD...Get on top of this....You still got contacts in the NOPD, get in there and get that tape..We need to nip this thing in the bud!" said Hayley Cogswell..

"I'm On it.." he said.

But it was much too late...Somehow or other , That tape was leaked to the press....

They had a field day with it and it was shown on CNN, NBC, ABC,CBS, FOX and other news outlets...The New Orleans Police Department denied leaking it...We denied leaking it...and he couldn't prove we did since we had our copy or one of them at least in our possession...Social Media had a field day with it too!  Try as he might...Brenda Robinson, even in death was doing a number on his reputation...

The incumbant States Attorney who been losing in the polls to Cogswell, suddenly got a boost in the polls and vigourously  called for Hayley Cogswell's law license to be suspended as well as indictments on Obstruction of Justice charges...

Four other cases were re-opened and with evidence tainted by perjury...Four men were released from prison....

Hayley Cogswell called it political posturing on the part of his opponent...He swore that Ronald Tackett was on his opponents payroll,but the public demanded that something be done...Try as he might to deflect the story, it would not go away and the Ghost of Brenda Robinson loomed over the city....More calls were made for Hayley Cogswell to be fired and disbarred...

Hayley finally had nothing left to do...He packed some things...Got a passport....Emptied a safe of $100K in funds 'packed the money in his gym bag and caught a taxi out of New Orleans...
Hayley Cogswell was arrested by Louisiana State Police trying to cross over into Texas...

''Ah don't believe it...I'm goin to jail...Gotdamn Ronnie Tackett, he couldn't leave well enough alone...He had to pull up that old damn case...If that boy was innocent of that, you can bet he was guilty of somethin...Ah did the city of New Orleans a favor! " he spat  as the cuffs were slapped on him...
His career was over! There was the public humiliation of being disbarred and being linked to a dead Black prostitute who claimed he asked her to perjure herself in five separate cases...Four additional cases of his were now being re opened and up for review... He was going to jail...Where he'd sent so many people, some innocent, some guilty...I'm certain they couldn't wait to see him...

The Ghost of Brenda Robinson had got her revenge!  In death her voice was louder and clearer than ever and helped to nail the coffin of Hayley Cogswell's career....

III-
We celebrated by having Brunch at the Commander's Palace...

They really laid the food out for you...

"I'm going to miss all of this good food.." said Nelson...

"Me too ...I'm sure going to miss New Orleans...despite all the work...We did have fun at night.."said Beverly..

''Yes indeed." seconded Josie...
''Donnie Ray  brought me here the morning after we got married ...we had our first meal as husband and wife here.." said Olivia..
''Yeah, I love this place.." I said..
Ronnie leaned over and kissed Molly in the lips..
"Mmmmmmmmmmm MMMMMMMMMph."he said.
"Ronnie stopppppppppppp.."said Molly..

 ''Ohhhhhhhhhhh, what is this?" asked Olivia..
 ''You guys are more than just colleauges..." said Beverly..
"Yeah that was a bed room kiss.." said Josie.
It was indeed! I smiled...I already knew these two were at least sleeping together...I didn't say anything because I didn't want to distract from the case..But now it was out...
"So How long has uh this been going on?" said Olivia..

"Yeah," asked Beverly...

"He's been after me since I left the NAACP Legal defense group and came over to the Innocence Project...At first I kept blowing him off when he'd ask me out to dates....but eventually I went out with him...and..."

''He put that thing on you right?" whispered Olivia in her ear..
"Ouuuuuuuuuuu girlllllllllll! I know you know!" laughed Molly....
"Not in front of the young people here." joked Ronnie..

We all busted out laughing...
"If they decide to retry,  you call us and we'll be back down to help you in any way you need us Molly.."said Olivia..

''With Cogswell indicted and dis barred...I seriously doubt they will retry...I got it on good word from a friend in the D.A.'s office that they more than likely will drop all charges..but we do want you to come back in a few months though.."said Molly...

''Another Death Row case." I asked.
''Oh Nooo.."said Molly , who then showed us her ring..
Her engagement ring..

''Whoa"said Nelson...
 ''OH MY GOD!!"said Beverly
 "Ouuuuuuuuuuuu girl, you're engaged..."said Olivia.
"Congratulations!" said Josie..

"Turned in your playas cards huh?" I said to my good friend, Ronnie Tackett.

''Yeah man, I want what you got Donnie Ray...Happy Wife, Happy Life.."said Ronnie...
"Congratulations Molly girl...You call us and we'll be down..." said Olivia...

Relieved that we were done and headed back to Philly the day after tomorrow...
As we were enjoying our food, I noticed someone else a few tables over ,also eating breakfast.
Detective Danny Graber...

I excused myself and walked over to his table..

"Great food here isn't it Danny?  Now that your boss is in jail, Who are you going to whore yourself out to now?" I asked.

"I'm eating my meal, get out of my face!" he bellowed.

"I'm going...My whole crew is leaving the day after tomorrow..Our work here is done...I know about your boss blackmailing the desk clerk and you getting the keys to our rooms and finding out about the judges...I know your boss blackmailed them...which is why they turned down my wife and her niece's appeal...And that was a sloppy frame up job on me you tried to pull....I wish I had the time to stay here and prove it...I wish I had the time to prove you choked the life out of Brenda Robinson ,so I could personally put the cuffs on you and send you to death row, but fortunately for you...I'm no longer a cop and I have to go...You lucked out this time...but one day....justice is gonna demand you pay up. Bye Danny."I said..
"I'm going to tell you once again..I'm eatin...Now Get Outta my face..." he said.

He continued eating....He was beet red though..

I wanted to punch his fat face into oblivion....but I smiled, turned and walked away...It would have served no good anyway...

"You alright?"asked Olivia..
I smiled...

"Never Better." I said..
I Put my arms around Olivia and Beverly and called to Nelson and Josie..



"Come on, let's get out of here....We got a days worth of shopping and partying to do before we go home."I said..


Molly and Ronnie were kissing passionately...
Oblivious to us...

EPILOUGE-
Hayley Cogswell was disbarred and convicted on five counts of obstruction of justice and sentenced to ten years in federal prison...

He's serving his sentence in Texas at the Federal Correctional Facility outside of Austin.

Dan Grable soon became an investigator for another Assistant District Attorney....

Molly was right...The state decided to drop all charges against Mark Washington and not retry him...

Eight other people, all African-Americans, 7 males...one female had their cases overturned and were released from prison.....

Both the murders of Lisa Gaye and Brenda Robinson remain unsolved....
A few weeks later... Olivia had finished up three cases of her own as had Beverly...The three of us were relaxing in the office..

''My since New Orleans we've been pretty busy huh?" said Olivia. In addition to those three cases ,She had paid Robert Foxworth back for allowing Nelson to work with us so often... She and Beverly served as second and third chairs on a case with Chance Howard and second and third chairs on a case with Cole...

"I'll say ...whew, Can we go back to New Orleans?" joked Beverly..

Beverly and her Aunt worked as second and third chairs with Calvin Hunt again on a case

and second and third chairs on a case with Robert Foxworth himself..

It was nice to be done with all of those outside cases and back with her Auntay...
I laughed...

''I wouldn't mind..How bout you Josie?" I asked.

''Sure would...and without it being work related." she said. I know she was tired...Like me..She worked on all ten of those cases with Olivia and Beverly...Since New Orleans the four of us had seldom all been here in the office at the same time..
''Yessss...You gotta come to San Francisco with us Josie...Next time we have an opportunity to go."said Olivia..
Nelson walked in just then...

"Hey guys...I'm exhausted...I just wrapped up a killer case today.." he said as he sat down and pulled Beverly on to his lap...He had seen both Beverly and Olivia at his office in the past few weeks and in passing in court..It felt funny not working with either of them..after New Orleans...It was nice to have a break in cases and be reunited with them again...
''Auntay and I finished up our cases today too." said Beverly...
They kissed each other passionately for a few minutes...
"Ahem!...Come up for Air you two! " said Olivia, smiling....

Just then, another guest walked in...The Portly Attorney ,Slim Johnson..

''Sooooo, this is where you guys work..Huh? Very nice and cozy...I understand you guys live here too?" he said.



"Donnie Ray and I live on the top floor and Beverly
Lives a floor below us... Josie and Nelson don't live here...

Though sometimes it seems like it.." explained Olivia..


Both Josie and Nelson had spent the night with Beverly a few times while Olivia and Beverly were working on their separate cases....

I saw Paris ,slipping out early in the morning a few times....I imagine with Beverly and Nelson in one room and Paris and Josie in the spare room, that second floor was pretty steamy....

"Good Show...Good Show..You guys did an excellent job in New Orleans...We just wanted a stay of execution, you got the entire thing thrown out...Excellent...Nice to see an innocent man go free...I'm here to tell you there is a bonus check in your accounts...A thank you from us..And we want your firm on retainer on a refferal basis if we have any other such cases...Is that alright?" asked Slim..

''Fine with us...As long as we get to go to New Orleans."joked Olivia.
"Your next case might involve Miami, Florida...I'll let you know."he said..
''Josie gurllllllllllll"said Beverly...

"Bathing suits..." said Josie..

"String Bikinis??" asked Nelson, his eyes popping out of his head at the thought of Beverly and Josie in string bikinis on the beach.....

"You have to excuse my staff, they're so uh dedicated to serving the cause of Justice.." Olivia said sarcastically, before laughing hysterically...

''Oh My, I see."laughed Slim Johnson.
Now it was my turn to laugh!


4 comments:

Toni said...

Great Story....Got a feeling it's not over!

Keith said...

It's not over...Next week Olivia/Beverly/Donnie Ray and company visit Miami....

Angie B. said...

I can't wait to read that!

Sunflower said...

Great...I'm loving this story line so far!