Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Down By Law


The hotel was beautiful....
Our rooms were gorgeous ...Beverly and Nelson were three doors down and Josie was at the end of the hall.

The laptops and law books were in our room this time... It wasn't fair to drop that on Josie , every trip..

Beverly bounced on the bed...

''Wow...Memory foam..." she said.
"Huh? What?" I said..

''Memory Foam...It means the bed doesn't have springs...It doesn't squeak.....And the headboard is small....It won't rattle.."said Olivia...looking at me slyly....

Nelson smiled at Beverly slyly....

We all were thinking the same thing...

Josie smiled and shook her head..
"Nelson and I are uh going to finish unpacking....and uh maybe take a nap....We'll talk to you later.."said Beverly , taking his hand..
Nelson smiled sheepishly....
''I'll see you guys later.." said Josie, smiling slyly...



II-
They weren't gone a good 10 minutes ,before I had the doors locked , had Olivia undressed and had her legs open and lifted up , while I thrusted away into her slowly and gently...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...Oh my god Donnie Ray......" she moaned..

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu girl...I couldn't wait.." I said as we made love up against the wall...

"I know, I saw how you've been looking at me all day!.... " said Olivia....

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...ouuuuu yesssss.." I said..

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Ohhh my god, ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." moaned Olivia...

TWO HOURS of this and soon I had her on the bed...


"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Alexander.....Lawddddddddddddddd!" she moaned....

The bed did not squeak...It didn't make a sound....and the headboard didn't rattle either...

FIVE TO SIX HOURS of hot sweaty lovemaking continued...

 "Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu , Donnie Ray... ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." moaned Olivia....

"Oh My God!  Oh My God!  Oh My God! Olivia! Oh My God....You're driving me crazy...."I yelled...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh MISTER ALEXANDER . Oh My God!   Oh My God! Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" she moaned..

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I moaned loudly

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." moaned Olivia....


Beverly and Nelson were three doors down kissing passionately and undressing each other...

"Take a nap...right!!!!" laughed Nelson...

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, I had to say something.."said Beverly softly...

They didn't pull the covers back, they just crashed on to the bed and began making sweet love...

 "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nelson...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" she moaned..

''Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Beverly, this is the best...the very best...I've ever had.." he exclaimed.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nelson...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" she moaned..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu girl...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, oUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...BEVERLY....OH MY GOD!!!!!UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" he moaned...


"Damn girl, you are driving me crazy..." he said...

"I make you feel good baby?" asked Beverly...

''Always..." he said..

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" she said..


FIVE TO SIX HOURS of hot sweaty lovemaking continued...They were getting their money's worth out of this bed.

Josie spent the next six hours wandering around New Orleans...She did a little shopping..Took some photos.

This was only her second time in New Orleans, but she liked it....She could get used to a place like this, she mused.

III-
Some hours later...We were all up and showered and sitting in Olivia and my room discussing the case...

Olivia dropped the file on the table...

''This is the case.....This is our client....His name is Mark Washington....." said Olivia..

I looked at the photo of a Reddish Brown African-American man with a bald head and a thick beard....

''He looks like somebody I busted...but go ahead."I said, passing the photo to Beverly and Nelson..

 Olivia continued..
''He presently sits on Louisiana's Death Row, which we will be visiting tomorrow..Convicted of the first degree murder of Lisa Gaye....A white female during the course of a home invasion...He has always maintained his innocence...They have a murder weapon...a .38 smokeless revolver, which he says is not his...It wasn't tested for DNA or prints during his first trial...They also found fingernails and hair that he also denies his...at the scene.. The D.A. said Washington's conviction was based on the testimony of two convicted felons who were after a $10,000 reward. One was Washington's former girlfriend and the other was his former cellmate...We have to find them and interview them..."said Olivia..

"I suspect this guy is no Boy Scout." I said..


Beverly leafed through the case file...

"No ,he's not...He's got a conviction for Burglary...He did five years for that and was paroled..and a conviction for Robbery, He did three years of a five year sentence for that and was on parole for that crime ,when he was picked up for this murder.." said Beverly....

''Feels like we are Public Defenders again." said Nelson..
"I know right? This was every other client I had for awhile..."said Beverly...

"That's why the three of us are such great trial attorneys...We've been down in the trenches, down by law.. before we got the big boutique cases..."said Olivia..

She was right...
Josie walked in with bags just then...

''Hey guys...How was your naps?" she said and smiled slyly..
"Ours was great, wasn't it boo?" said Beverly, hugging Nelson and laughing slyly...

"Yeah, I've never slept better..."said Nelson ,who passed Josie the case file....


''You went shopping eh Jo?  Let me see what you got?" said Olivia ,going through her bags like a little girl..''Ouuuu nice..."she said. "I hope you didn't eat...We are meeting Mr. Tackett for Drinks and Dinner in a little bit..." said Olivia..

"I did eat...but I'm down for some drinks...and a little music.." said Josie..
IV-
They say that New York City never sleeps....Well neither does New Orleans...It's one big party all week long it would seem...

Ronnie took us to the French Quarter and to another favorite haunt of us musicians...

There was a live band playing and lots of good food..
and drinks as well..Martini's for the ladies
and beer for the gents..

Beverly,Olivia and Josie loved the gumbo...

 "Oh My God, this is delicious..."said Beverly...
 ''Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss...oh my godddddddddddddd!" said Olivia..
''I'll sleep good tonight....Donnie Ray, you've got to bring some of this back with you.." said Josie.


Ronnie looked at me...

''Donnie Ray, you live with all three of them?? My god...How do you get any work done? Three fine women like that?" he joked..
"It's not easy, but I manage.." I joked... "I only live with Olivia and Beverly....Josie lives a few blocks away..."I added...

"I don't care....You got three dime pieces in your office everyday....That's more than I could take.." he joked..
Nelson weighed in on the gumbo...
"Man....I don't know how I missed this the last time I was here.." he said..

"They serve it down here every night man....Come on down after court and help yourself..."said Ronnie.. He then got serious...''Did you guys take a look at the case file?"he asked.

''We did, we have our work cut out for us.."said Olivia..
''He's like every other client we had when we were public defenders.."said Beverly...
"Yeah, he is...I sent him up both times he went up...For Burglary and Robbery......"said Ronnie.

"You know this guy?" I asked, incredulous..

"I do....and I know he didn't do this...He's a thief....yes...killer?? no!" said Ronnie..


"Wow!  You went from prosecuting him to defending him....I can't say I see that too often.."said Olivia..
''Me neither."said Beverly.
"There's a deep underbelly of racism and corruption in this town...A lot of guys like Mark Washington get railroaded....."said Ronnie..

"Guys with a record....repeat offenders."said Nelson..
"Exactly.....it probably happens in Philly too, more than you know....I was an Assistant District Attorney here for a number of years...I didn't relish sending people to jail...In fact ,I worked with programs to prevent crime, especially amongst the Black and the Poor...but it wasn't enough...Just band aids...Finally ,I couldn't stand it anymore....I left the D.A.'s office and got involved with the Innocence Program....Donnie Ray is a hero in the Black community down here..He didn't stick around long enough to see it...He was one cop they say...Who stood up, who did the right thing, who didn't turn his head when wrong was done...I felt  so sorry for your husband, when he turned in his Lieutenant and all of those dirty cops...including the three who murdered three people and tried to cover it up...I knew what was going to happen to him....I knew he was going to be a Pariah in the Police Force...and I liked him...He was a good cop...A stand up guy...Tough as nails, but fair...I was going to offer him a job as an investigator for the D.A.'s office, but my bosses said ''Absolutely not.",they never gave a reason, but they didn't have to...I knew why..." said Ronnie..

"Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww."said Olivia...who leaned over and kissed me on the cheek...

Beverly put both arms around me and hugged me...

''Well, everything turned out alright in the end huh?" I said..

"Hell, for you??...YEAH...Helllllllllllllllllll yeah, Look at you, Moved to Philly, Married this fox here, who happens to be a brilliant attorney,he said ,looking at Olivia, who blushed..

 and got these two other foxes working with you...He said looking at both Beverly and Josie..


"That's better than I could have offered you.."He said..

We all laughed and continued to chow down on that gumbo..

in between helpings he continued..

''The ADA who convicted him knew that he was innocent...He knew it...but he is about to run for District Attorney soon and he wanted to be seen as tough on crime and appeal to a certain segment of
his voting base if you get my drift..." said Ronnie.
"I read you loud and clear..."I said..

''We've dealt with a few guys like that back home.."said Nelson.
"Tomorrow....Can we visit our client?..." asked Olivia...

"Yes....I'll be by in the morning to pick you guys up...or maybe later...You guys are going to visit a few more clubs ...Have a little fun before the work starts aren't you?" asked Ronnie.

''Works for me." said Beverly, who took Nelson by the hand...

 "We'll take  a cab back Auntay..." said Beverly..

"I know a few spots from my last time here." said Nelson...
"Let me show you some spots, I saw earlier."said Josie as the three of them got up to go out..

"Be careful guys....Call us if you need a ride or something..." said Olivia...

Lonnie smiled..

"Youth."  he said..

''Yeah ,how about that?" I laughed.
"You bring your horn Donnie Ray?" asked Lonnie..
"He did...Next to me that's what he loves the most..."joked Olivia...

''Well at least he has the good sense to put you first sugar!"laughed Ronnie..
I smiled sheepishly.....and looked out into the New Orleans night...
But our night , which had started out so good with this great gumbo was not to be a perfect night..before Beverly, Josie and Nelson could leave, Two very ominous looking men stopped by our table.
A portly white man who I did not know and a man who I did know walked over to our table..
''Well, Well ,Well..Howdy there Mr. Ronnie Tackett...Now who are the guests of our resident trouble maker and rabble rouser this fine night?" the man said... He was white, portly, had on some horn rimmed glasses, was wearing a straw hat and a clean and well pressed white shirt...

''What do you want Hayley?  Why are you disturbing our dinner?" asked Ronnie..

"Oh Nawww, Nawww Ronnie...I'm just bein hospitable...Let's see...There is Donnie Ray Alexander, Home town boy, former Homicide Detective right...??? " he said..

I didn't say a word....I glared at him...

"I heard after you left the force, you moved all the way up to Philadelphia, married yourself a big time lawyer and became her investigator.....You didn't do too bad for yourself....Eh Donnie Boy?? And no one in the legal profession doesn't not know who your wife and her pretty niece are....Olivia Bennett-Alexander and Beverly West...

I knew that Olivia and Beverly were stunned to know this guy knew who they were and I knew they had no clue who he was...but I had a good feeling who he was...because the man with him was a former detective I once worked with, one of the few who didn't get caught up in the corruption sting, but one who hated my guts just the same..
''What do you want? We 're eating here.." said Ronnie..
The portly white man looked at Nelson and Josie..


Neither of who said a word...

"Them lawyers from Philly too?  My lawd, you sure brought a heap of lawyers down here to over turn that case....A five year old verdict...A man convicted by a jury of his peers...a man set to executed at the end of the month...You spent all that money bringing them down here for nothing.." he laughed..

"How do you know we are down here on a case?  My husband is from here...We might be visiting, Vacationing?" said Olivia..

"YOU LIE!!" said the other man, who I did know...

''Watch it Danny, Don't make me kick your ass in here!!!..." I said standing up abruptly....Beverly was a little nervous, She grabbed my arm...

''Donnie Ray, Easy honey...Easy...It's okay..." she said , glaring at the man...
"DANIEL!!! Where is your manners? Pipe down...Go outside and wait for me.." said the portly white man...

He stomped his foot and walked outside...

"Don't mind him, he gets a little irregular from time to time Mr. and Mrs. Alexander....I'm sorry for his childish outburst...Please accept my humble apologies..." said the man...
"He was a Homicide Detective back when I was on the force...I suppose he works for you now huh?" I asked..

''He does...I'm Assistant District Attorney , Hayley Cogswell Mr. Alexander...I was a Public Defender when you last worked here...Danny there works for me now as my investigator..He makes considerably more money as do you, judging by your fancy suits..." he said..
"It was nice of you to come over and say hello...Thank you kindly." I said with a fake smile..

"You're quite welcome....Mrs. Alexander, Ms. West and friends enjoy New Orleans, if you're just vacationing...but uh don't go wastin your time stirring up a hornets nest that should be left alone..I sure wouldn't want you pretty ladies to get stung...Good night yall..." he said and eyed our food...

"Ummmmmmmmmmm UMMMMMMMMMMph that sure is some fine Gumbo....If I had the time I'd order me a plate.." he said and left.

''Southern Men are so mannerable...EVEN WHEN THEY'RE THREATENING YOU!" said Beverly.
''And that's what that was wasn't it? A Threat??" asked Olivia.
"Yeah, it sure was....That's Hayley Gogswell...He was the ADA who prosecuted Mark Washington, who put him on Death Row... He's running for States Attorneyagain...He narrowly lost five years ago.. and he's leading in the polls...This case could overturn his apple cart..."said Ronnie Tackett..

''Well, I don't like being threatened...Let's Overturn that apple cart." said Nelson.

I smiled...

"I couldn't have said it better myself." I said.



(TO BE CONTINUED)



11 comments:

Sunflower said...

Loved this title, Loved this entire Episode!

Anonymous said...

Ouuuu Standing and Applauding and Throwing my panties!

Angie B. said...

@anonymous-When don't you throw your panties?/ Asking for a friend!

Cheryl said...

LMAO! @ last comment!

Toni said...

Me too Cheryl! LOL!

George S. said...

Amazing how we let one idiot throw the entire dialouge off...This story seems to be a constant theme of yours...Olivia/Beverly/Donnie Ray come to town to right some long ago judicial wrong and run into opposition from the police and the Prosecutor who put the person behind bars... At least you make it interesting!

Lisa said...

A word from the resident know it all.... You're doing an excellent job Keith, Keep telling your stories the way you want to!

Vanessa said...

Looks like Olivia/Beverly /Donnie Ray and company have upset the good old boy network...I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

Brenda said...

I look forward to seeing it too...Being Donnie Ray is home, but in hostile territory..I imagine he's not too popular down there...

Halo said...

Donnie Ray sent 22 corrupt police officers to jail..Three of them for first degree murder....He will get no help from local law enforcement..

Rita said...

I have to admit....I love the stories where the team leaves town the most!