Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Double Or Death


 HOW IT STARTED ! THREE WEEKS AGO!





A Beautiful and well dressed Black woman walked up to them...She was carrying a briefcase on a legal roller, so she looked and carried herself like an Attorney...She was.

"Hello...Olivia Bennett-Alexander, Attorney at law and your much heralded team... I see you just won a case in court." said the young lady, smiling.
"Well Yeah..Yes on both counts...What can I do for you?" said Olivia, smiling..


The woman passed Olivia something she was used to passing other people...A court summons..

"Olivia Bennett-Alexander..You have been served... I am suing you and your law firm on behalf of my father, Willie Crawley Jr.  For millions...you represented him and he ended up paying millions to women who falsely accused him...You also managed to get your niece and your now associate attorney a cool million dollars too..Well I'm suing you for it all and when I'm done with you, That nice duplex you live in will belong to me as will your firm and you all will have to get new jobs...Perhaps the Public defenders office will rehire you.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" she said.
"You're off your nut!" said an Angry Beverly West-East...


"Oh Am I? Here is a summons for you too Mrs. East...This is a seperate suit...Which means while you'll be fighting this suit...You can't help your auntie out....Oh and Ms. Josie Boyd..Here is one for you too!" she said.


"You're just full of joy today aren't you?" said Josie..

"Welllll look at it this way...I'm sure you'll be able to find work at several different firms....Maybe
Mr. East will be able to get you a job at his former firm, that is , if he can get his old job back." she said.


"So sure you're going to win this suit, put us out of business..." said Nelson.

"Ask about me...I'm from Atlanta....You have a cousin, Kayla Bennett, who used to work there..She knows who I am.. I've never lost a case...Never.." she laughed.

"There is a first time for everything.." said Donnie Ray.

"Don't Bet on it...Maybe you can get on the Philly Police force....Or if you choose to stay with Olivia..You two can open up a small office...Good day.." she said and walked off.


with her roller and her legal briefs...

"Auntay, she can't be serious." said Beverly.
"She's very serious...and she's right...Neither you nor Josie can assist me in this case...."said Olivia.
"I'll get started with our defense.,..
"I'll help..." said Bresha.
"No, you won't..Neither of you...Not by yourselves... Beverly, Josie...I suggest you get yourselves some lawyers.." said Olivia.

"Get ourselves Lawyers??" said an astonished Beverly.
"We are Lawyers." said Josie.

"And a lawyer who defends him or herself has what?" asked Olivia.





"A FOOL FOR A CLIENT!" said Beverly, Josie, Nelson and Bresha in unison...They had all heard the saying.

''So uh who are we getting?" asked Donnie Ray.
"I'm getting the finest lawyer I know, next to me of course..."said Olivia, smiling.

And that's how this whole thing began.

That's how Ms. Yvette became the lead Attorney for Olivia Bennett-Alexander, and her firm...our friends in this  lawsuit.. with assistance from Me, Keith Jones, my wife, Beatrice Evans-Jones, Sofia 
Garcia -Ahmed  and her husband, Kahlil Ahmed, with Ms. Jade as our chief Investigator, with assistance from Jessica Sanchez-Burrows and her husband, Charles "Chip" Burrows...









We were also getting assistance from 
Nelson East and
Bresha Williams of Olivia's team
and of course Olivia's husband, Donnie Ray Alexander..

In the past two weeks,



Beverly was successfully defended by her cousin Kayla Bennett -St. Jacques and our Neighbor and friend, Dabnis Coley..



and Josie was successfully defended by  Dabnis's wife, Jasmine "Jazzy" Coley and Kayla's husband, Ray St. Jacques.

HOW IT'S GOING! 


At a Press conference, Attorney Cheryl Drake announced that she was leaving the team and returning to Atlanta.
"Ms. Crawley is very disrespectful, very disrespectful to me and my colleauges the way she talks to us and I for one am not going to take it...I have therefore turned in my resignation to the team...I am returning to Atlanta tonight..I wish her the best...That is all guys." said Attorney Cheryl Drake.

The trial was now in it's eighth day...It was two days longer than both Beverly and Josie's trials combined.. A lot of old rehashed unpleasentries had come out.... Willie Crawley Jr. , Now living in Boston was furious...

Day after Day he had to speak to the press, not only about past allegations, but allegations that here to for had never been released to the press.. His business was losing sponsers left and right and he was at the point where he said he was no longer speaking to his daughter..

Maybe, but she was still employed as Chief counsel for his business interests in Philadelphia.
Erika Crawley was the lead Attorney...
Her "Dream Team " of Killers", Attorney Jerry Haney, former District Attorney ,out of Philadelphia suburb, Bayside, PA.
Attorney John Rocket, Former D.C. Judge and Assistant District Attorney at one time
Attorney Alexander Winters, a very well known litigator out of Atlanta, who had tried unsuccessfully to date Erika Crawley when she lived and worked in Atlanta and some say was still smitten by her.
and Attorney Audrey Payton, a top litigator out of Atlanta , who was promised a position with the Crawley Organization after the outcome of these trials....was said to be on "Thin Ice" with Erika now after they lost both Beverly and Josie's cases.. were proving to be no match for us.

Ms. Yvette had called the shots from top to bottom. She made sure each attorney on both teams was prepared with all the information they needed as far as cases, predicates, application of law and most of all information about all of the cases..It was a lot of stuff, but she drilled it in us.... Especially Me, Bee, Sofia and Kahlil..We knew what she expected..  Jessica and Chip were veterens of these kind of legal battles as was Nelson...Bresha , although the most inexperienced of us all proved she was up for the task..I had no doubt, she was going to be a fine attorney.








Ms. Yvette made sure that from top to bottom, we were prepared and each attorney knew his or her role..I was proud to be part of this team as were we all...We were fearless and relentless and as cut throat as could be.

We just overwhelmed the other team with facts and the law!



Ms. Jade, Donnie Ray and even Gary helped us out with information...

On the ninth day of the trial..

Attorney Anthony Winters informed the press that he  too was dropping out...

"It's a very toxic atmosphere..Very Toxic !!!Ms. Crawley is very difficult to work with...I'm afraid I am not up for this particular job...I have turned in my resignation and I hope to never ever work with her again." he said, showing a little more bitterness than Cheryl Drake. Apparently the thrill and infatuation was gone.

The Press was titilated.. Stories were going out that Crawley's team and her case was falling apart..Legal experts weighed in on television..
Our friend, B.L. Benz covered the trial all week on his show, HARD BOTTOM!


Olivia, Beverly and Josie felt weird, not arguing a case and actually being defendents..letting others talk for them...but they all agreed, Ms. Yvette and her team was doing a great job...

They let her know it every chance they got...Which made her feel good..

On The 10th day...The case went to the jury.,

They saw an exhausted Erika Crawley in the hallway, 

checking her phone..

Olivia was always very professional and never took these cases personal...But this case , she took very personal..It threatened her home, her livelihood, her finances..She had a deep personal dislike for both Willie Crawley Jr. and his daughter..She saw Erika and she called out to her..

"Heyyy Ms. Crawley, doesn't look like things are going too well for you lately huh? ..Lost two attorneys, lost two straight cases...Where is that confident smile now?" asked Olivia..

Erika Crawley ,for once , had no comeback...She simply walked away...She figured, she deserved that...She would have done worse....By now she knew she was losing this case and losing badly..

She had seriously underestimated Olivia and Beverly...They had mentored and befriended a very good network of attorneys...She was surprised to find that every single attorney involved in this case, lived across the street from them and all of them had some type of history with them.
 Beverly was astounded that her aunt had actually taunted an opponent..That was usually something she herself used to do.. Olivia had made her stop...So had Nelson. But she enjoyed seeing Erika's swagger  evaporate..
Yvette was a little surprised too, but she understood...She perfectly understood...She only hoped she had won this case..

More than any other case she had tried in her life, She needed to win this one.

II-

ONE HOUR LATER-



Judge Michael King looked at the jury foreman...

"Has the jury come to a decision?" he asked.

''We have your honor..WE RULE IN FAVOR OF THE DEFENDENT, OLIVIA BENNETT-ALEXANDER AND HER LAW FIRM ALEXANDER AND WEST, ATTORNEYS AT LAW"said the foreman..

"Thank You Jesus, this long nightmare is over!!!" said Olivia. She hugged Yvette...

"You are my best friend..My sister." she said..

"You're my sister too Olivia..I couldn't let you down."said Yvette..  The two women held each other tight and cried for a long while..


Donnie Ray and Olivia shared a sweet kiss..

So Did Gary and Ms. Yvette.
''Thank you Gary, for being my chief cheerleader." said Yvette ,who was still crying.

"I knew you could do it babe!" said Gary...


Beverly and Nelson held each other tightly..crying..

Josie and Paris held each other tightly, crying also...
Bresha was overjoyed..
Tony held her and rubbed her shoulders..

They all thanked us profusely...

"Anytime..Anytime...Especially if you cook us those great breakfasts.." I said...which was met with raucous laughter.
''All he loves is food Ms. Olivia...But you know Sofia and I love you dearly."said Bee Bee..
"Si " said Sofia..
"I will always be there for you guys...and for the great breakfasts too!" said Kahlil, which was met by more laughter.
"Just call on us Ms. Olivia..We'll be there." said Jade.
"You know I love you all...No way I was going to let you guys ,go out like that!" said Jessica.
''Same Here"said Chip.


We the attorneys who actually fought and won the case were congratulated and hugged by our heroes..Olivia,Beverly, Nelson, Josie and Donnie Ray , who had helped us all out so much in the past...
"You guys, every last one of you are the real dream team...We are forever in your debt" said Olivia.
"Our doors are always open to you guys...All of you, you need to work remotely..You need our law library or facilities...You just need to talk, blow off steam, need to run something by somebody, We are here for you." said Beverly.
''What my wife said, double that!" said Nelson , which was met by laughter.
"Thank you!" said Josie, nearly in tears..
Donnie Ray hugged her.
" No tears, No crying...We won today!!! I bought a cake..I knew we were gonna win this thing..Stop over the office for cake and ice cream..you're all welcome." said Alfreda..

Jade, Jazzy, Kayla, Dabnis and Ray were all there...
"Now you're talkin" said Jade...
"YAYYYYYY! Champaigne and Cake." said Jazzy.
"CHAMPAIGNE AND CAKE!!" said Kayla.
"Works for me!" said Dabnis.
"Works for me too! " said Ray.


It was a joyous celebration...

For some of us anyway...

The First attorney from the other side who spoke to the press was Audrey Payton,

"The Case was a disaster from the start... I remember a few years ago when Olivia and Beverly represented her father..I knew the man was a womanizer and a lot of nasty things might get out..I tried to warn that stubborn ,pig headed bitch not to persue this, but she wouldn't listen...And wouldn't hire a decent investigator...We were under the gun from the start..We got out lawyered...Ohhhh, I never want to work with that woman, that horrible woman again....Ohhhh my god, She was  so unprofessional. I can't wait to get out of here and get back to Atlanta...I'm already packed..." she said.

I suppose the job offer was off the table..
"This was a total shit show..All three trials. I'm sorry I was involved in it at all." said Attorney Jerry Haney who left the courtroom immediately and got in an Uber and pulled off.
"No comment boys." said Attorney John Rocket. "I'll meet you all at the bar in the Marriot...We'll knock back a few cold ones....How bout those 76ers? Boyyyy they gave my Wizards a thrashing huh?" he laughed with reporters, but refused to talk about the case..
As the cameras snapped.
Erika Crawley barely spoke above a whisper...

"I'm as you can expect , very disappointed...Very disappointed in the uh outcome...No, I uh will not persue this any further...Even I found out things about my father that were very uh disconcerting...I have nothing personal  against Olivia and Beverly and their staff...I thought I was uh righting a wrong...Guess I wasn't..They had an incredible team of attorneys in all three cases....I wish I could say the same...That all guys" she said.
Erika Crawley had now lost three straight cases here and four if you included the one in Atlanta..She was in debt over 2 million dollars..She had bet on the outcomes, she had doubled up on the bets..Now she had to flee...

She wasted no time in leaving the courthouse after the press conference.

I would like to tell you our story ends here.. A Happy ending... It doesn't..This was the halfway mark in the case..


III-


Erika Crawley got in her car and took off...She was terrified at this point.

She dialed her phone as she drove
"Greg...Greg listen to me..I need some money....tonight and airline tickets to anywhere..I've gotta get out of town, please...When I get to where I'm going...I'll explain it to you...Please." she said.

"Damn Erika, I follow you from Atlanta back to Philly and now you're leaving me again?" asked Greg Garland..
"I promise you, when I get to where I'm going , I'll contact you,,,We can be together...Just not now, right now...I need to get out of town ...Please...Bring the money and airline tickets...To anywhere..Meet me at my place at 11:00 pm sharp..."said Erika..

"Okay baby...anything you say...I'll be there..." said Greg..

"You 've probably heard...I lost the case...Your friends, Olivia and Beverly are safe. Lost all three cases...I underestimated Olivia and Beverly and the network of attorneys they've mentored and befriended. Your old girlfriend, Yvette Jones is really pretty good..." said Erika.

"I told you.....Erika, did you bet on the outcomes again?  How much money do you need?" asked Greg.


"More than you can lend me!"said Erika.


Meanwhile at Olivia and Beverly's place.



Bottles of Champaigne popped...

And a beautiful cake was served....



Olivia and Donnie Ray were over near the wall kissing passionately....




As were Yvette and Gary.....


"Drink Up....Have some cake...It's a celebration" gushed Office Manager, Alfreda..

"We can't thank you guys enough...You've proved that we are more than just colleauges..and friends..We are truly a family.." said Beverly, to loud cheers...
''We needed help and you guys came to the rescue like the calvary, same as we'd do for you..Thank you again." said Nelson.
"You guys are the absolute best...Love you." said Josie..
As her boyfriend Paris, hugged her and smiled.
"I'm so proud to be doing an internship with these great people and being mentored by even more of you great people." said Bresha.
"Yall is just mad cool." said her boyfriend, Tony Billips..
"Here Here." said Jessica , pouring a glass of champaigne and slicing a piece of cake for her and her husband.
"You guys really know how to throw a party." said Chip..

"I'll say." said ADA Rockland Cambdridge...

I raised a glass

"To Family!" I said.
"To Us" said Bee Bee
"To Us All" said Kahlil.
"Us" said Sofia.
"Us" said Kayla.
"US" said Ray..
"Us" said Jazzy...
"Most definitely, US!!!" said Dabnis..
Ms. Jade and Danny Ho came in with a bottle of Wine.
"We brought Wine, in case you ran out of champaigne." said Lt. Danny Ho.

We all busted out into raucous laughter at that.

Happy Ending right? For everybody in this room, Yes....but for everybody in this story...No!


IV-

The Day was over, the trial was won...Ms. Yvette was at last home, with her husband, Gary...


Yvette sat on the bed...she bounced on the bed like a child..

"Come on over here...I know I've been busy the past few days...Let's make up for lost time" she whispered softly...She was wearing a Victoria's Secret night shirt that came to her hips..




She slipped he panties off.....
Gary's eyes practically bulged out of his head..

"Ohhhhhh my goddddd!" he said..


Yvette eased herself down on him as slow as she could....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my godddddddddddd, Vettie....Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!" moaned Gary.

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU GARYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! YOU'VE EARNED EVERY BIT OF THIS! UMMMMMMMMM!" she cooed...


They kissed passionately......



They began making slow, sweet , smoldering love on the new bed... The bed was soft and smooth and it moved with their every movement, which made the experience even more tantalizing for both...

The next NINE TO TEN HOURS.... They both were near delirium......Yvette's body trembled...the result of several orgasms...and tears flowed freely down her face...

Gary's eyes rolled up into his head...until he came and came hard....


Yvette continued kissing him and rubbing his penis until he was hard again...

and they began making love again....

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" he moaned..

"Oh Gary, this feels so goood...Ouuuuuuuuu! YOU FEEL SO GOOOD..OUUUUUU!" she cooed..

"OHHHHHHHH VETTTIE, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD YOU FEEL...OHHHHH!" he moaned..

Another THREE TO FOUR HOURS continued....
.
 A nice way to come down after an intense trial.

11:00 pm , That same Night..



Attorney Greg Garland arrived at Erika's apartment...All of the lights were out and she wasn't answering her phone.


He found her door open....He walked in...It was dark...

"Erika....Erika?? You here?" he asked.. Something, probably a sap hit him in the back of the head..

He suddenly felt excrutiating pain in the back of his head like he'd never felt before..

"UGhhhhhhhh!" he moaned..

He fell to the floor unconscious...The last thing he remembered was a liquid being poured on him.

3:34 AM

Clad in only her panties and bra.. One bra strap ripped...was Erika Crawley...Her lifeless eyes stared at the ceiling...There was a bullet hole between her eyes and an exit wound in the back of her head..
There was another bullet wound in her chest...and an exit wound in her back...The entire carpet under her was crimson red..

"The victim is a Black female..late thirties, early forties maybe...Oh here is her purse.. Her name is Erika Crawley....That's that lawyer babe, that's been on T.V." said one of the CSI guys.

"Yeah, tried to sue Olivia Bennett-Alexander and Beverly West...Lost the big case and gets murdered the same day...Damn...not your day today is it baby?" said another Crime Scene Investigator..

Dr. Hazel Baylor, Coroner and Forensic Investigator ignored their gallows humor.

"Cause of death was simple, Two gunshot wounds One to the chest and one to head, right between the eyes.." said Hazel..."Judging by body temp, I'd say she died anywhere between 10:30 pm and 11:00 pm last night. This heat doesn't help...Rigor is already setting in." said Hazel..

"I recognize her...That's uh Willie Crawley Jr.'s daughter, Erika Crawley..She sued uh Beverly , Josie Boyd and Olivia.. Lost all three cases...Lost the big one earlier ....Geez and somebody put her out of her misery....Hmmmmmm....Who's he?" said Lt. Tragg...pointing to Greg Garland, who was waking up...

"He's an Attorney, Gregory Garland...from Atlanta...We found him here knocked out, smelling like a saloon."said one of the police officers..

Greg Garland was in the corner, rubbing his head, which was bloody....

"Ughhhhhhhhhh, my head...." he moaned..

Someone had hit him from behind, poured gin all over him and placed a gun , the murder weapon in his hands..


a .40 caliber...


"Get him in cuffs and get the body out of here." said Lt. Tragg..

''Now Wait a minute...You don't know what happened here..Why don't you at least hear his story?"asked Hazel.
"Hazel, I know you're married to a Detective...but you are not one...I'm the Detective here." said Lt. Tragg.
"That's the rumor." said Hazel, which was met by snickers..

The Body of Attorney Erika Crawley was wheeled out on a gurney...Like I said.. It wasn't a happy ending for everybody...

(TO BE CONTINUED)


4 comments:

Toni said...

Damn, This Story is Good!

Angie B. said...

Just when I thought it might be over ,it's taken another twist!

Sunflower said...

I had no doubt her lawsuits would fail..but her being murdered?? I didn't see that.. She was a good antagonist, I actually wanted to see more of her...Wowwww!

James Perkins said...

Got me on the edge of my seat with this story Keith...