Monday, August 22, 2022

Dinner and A Murder


 MONDAY MORNING, COURTROOM C- 12:00 noon

We were awaiting the verdict in our murder case....We had finished our sumnation Friday and the jury had went into what we thought would be a quick deliberation..It wasn't... Here it was Monday at noon and they had just come to a decision.



"This doesn't look too good does it Ms. Yvette?" I asked.. "Friday afternoon I would have said the jury was swinging our way." I added.

"Keith, remember our first case together? Same thing happened.. Jury deliberated over the weekend and we got an acquittal..Relax. You guys did an outstanding job...Research, Predicates, Laws, Like cases and certainly enough compelling evidence to lead an intelligent jury like this to reasonable doubt." said Yvette.
"Yeah, I remember THAT trial...but this is THIS trial." I said.  I always worried when juries took too long to come to a conclusion..
My wife, Attorney Beatrice Evans rubbed my hands softly...That always had a calming effect..
"It's going to be okay." she said softly...
"I'm certain we got this." said my friend and fellow attorney, Sofia Garcia-Ahmed..
"I'm certain the jury went our way too!" said my good friend and fellow attorney, Kahlil Ahmed.
"I wish I had been able to get more evidence." said Jade.

"I wish you could have too Ms. Jade.  I'm telling you....I didn't kill anybody..."said our client, Jacob Chandler...accused of killing his former boss at the Jewelry store he worked at.... He had a record of having been in Juvie...Juvenile Detention a few years, but no adult arrests or offenses....For all intents and purposes...he had had an exemplary work record... I hoped that this trial wouldn't stain him regardless of the verdict..


Naturally Lt. Tragg , who arrested him, jumped to conclusions and arrested him solely on his past Juvenile record....despite the fact this young man had worked there for five years and got glowing evaluations and was liked by everyone.. Most of the charactor witnesses we got ,were fellow employees at the jewelry store and former customers...They couldn't believe he was capable..  We didn't believe it either when we took the case as a favor for Judge Percy Reynolds,


 who knew the boy's family.


Judge King banged his gavel....

"Okay, let's get this over with..." he said.


Assistant District Attorney Susan Knight had really put on a show...She hadn't lost a case in over a year and she was trying hard not to lose this one... She was trying as hard as she was trying to keep Lt. Tragg's hands from under her skirt..

"WOULD YOU PLEASE!! CONTROL YOURSELF!! I'M NOT GOING TO ASK YOU AGAIN!!"" she said..



He had a goofy ,pleased as punch look on his face....It had been a year since they had worked together...The last trial , which ended with them both pretty angry with each other was a distant memory....

Olivia Bennett-Alexander, her niece, Beverly West-East, Beverly's husband, Nelson East, Josie Boyd and Bresha Billips and Olivia's husband, Donnie Ray Alexander had taken her through a grueling trial..








in which a client named Honeywell was first falsely accused of the three Queen Village Rapes and then of a murder..  Olivia and her team had got him cleared of and acquitted on both charges... In the case of the rapes...Another man was captured and confessed...In the case of the murder, he was acquitted and another suspect arrested... She blamed the whole thing on Lt. Tragg's shoddy police work and vowed never to work with him again....And yet here she was a year later in a similar case...working with him again.,


Lt. Tragg had cornered her by the Judges Chambers the first day of this trial..

"You know, you've got quite a nice figure....I really admire it.. and I admire you counselor... I think a nice dinner with two thick ,juicy steaks or some lobster and a couple of drinks and some quiet conversation is in order..." he whispered..

"Thank you, now would you get out of my personal space and out of my way please?" she said.

The entire trial...She struggled , removing his hands off of her legs and from under her skirt...




"Has the Jury come to a conclusion?" asked Judge King.

'We have your honor." said the Jury foreman..

The Baillif passed him the verdict... He frowned a bit and then passed it back..

"Read it." he said.

"IN THE MATTER OF COMMONWEALTH OF PENSYLVANIA VS. JACOB CHANDLER ON THE CHARGE OF MANSLAUGHTER-NOT GUILTY

ON THE CHARGE OF SECOND DEGREE MURDER, NOT GUILTY

ON THE CHARGE OF FIRST DEGREE MURDER, NOT GUILTY

AND THE FINAL CHARGE OF USING AN INSTRUMENT OF CRIME TO COMITT A FELONY, NOT GUILTY"


"YESSSSSS!" said Jacob, high fiving Kahlil..


"I told you ,I told you we had this buddy..." said Kahlil...



"Thank you so much, Bee Bee, Sofia.." he said, hugging them both..


"Awwwwwww, you're welcome Jake." said Bee Bee.
"Awwwwwww, you're welcome Jake." said Sofia.
"KEITH!!! MY DOGGGG!  THANK YOUUUU.." he said , high fiving me also..
''All in a days work my man." I said.

''Ms. Jade, Ms. Yvette, you guys are the best.." said Jake.
''So glad we got you off." said Jade.
"Now that you're a free man, what are your plans?" asked Ms. Yvette.
''Well, I plan to try and get my old job back." He said.

Just then we heard a loud slap!!!!!

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? YOU ALMOST RIPPED MY PANTIES!!! WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU THINK I'D BE THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED IN YOU??...YOU..YOU BOOB!!!
THIS IS TWO CASES I'VE LOST AND BOTH INVOLVED YOU!!!." screamed Assistant District Attorney Susan Knight..."I never want to work another case with you again....You are the absolute worst...Oh My God!!!" she snarled..



She grabbed her legal briefcase and roller and stormed angrilly out of the courthouse...


Lt. Tragg stood there looking bewildered.... He heard the loud laughter from behind him...






Bee Bee,our client, Jake, Sofia, Myself, Kahlil and Jade were howling with loud laughter.... He might not have liked it..but there was nothing he could do about it.. Couldn't arrest us for laughing..




Ms. Yvette was on the phone with Ms. Virginia....We had wrapped up this court case...but we had another litigation to attend to tomorrow... we had to go back and get ready for it.. A Lawyer's life..

II-


TUESDAY- The Bridge Building..  The satellite office of McCluskey/Cozen/Connor & Pratt 


Office Manager, Virginia Shaw, once a high powered attorney, now disbarred was talking to our guest.. Attorney Sean Shotwell... They had known each other back in the day...Had worked together and against each other in court and at the litigation table.. They had great respect for each other.

"I had heard you had a little trouble , seven years worth... Glad to see you landed well...." he said..

"Mr. Shotwell.....The last time I saw you was at the Legal Ethics Board... You were defending your client, Judge Merlin Merkins... 

How is he doing?" asked Ms. Yvette sarcastically... We had successfully gotten the Judge removed from the bench and disbarred.


"You mean my former client....You do know I'm suing him...He never paid me for my services last year.." said Sean Shotwell..


"Really?  Wowwwww!" said Ms. Yvette.


''Yeah...After hearing the verdict on him in Pennsylvania, He was subsequently disbarred in New York, New Jersey, Deleware and Washington. D.C.

He moved to  Maine and passed the bar exam there with flying colors and applied for a law license ..

It was denied.

He started seeing a young woman, also a disbarred attorney...They started a consulting business. That didn't pan out...They were at each other's throats after awhile and the business dissolved..She has since been re-instated by the bar and is practicing law again...He has dropped out of sight.. I intend to get my money....." said Sean Shotwell..

"I hope you do....Let's move into the conference room....Your client called...Said he is running late."said Ms. Yvette.


They moved into the conference room where we were all seated..


"Ohhh it's Attorney Shotwell.." said Bee Bee/
"Last time we saw you, you were representing now former Judge Merlin Merkins..." I said.
"The Minister of Offense." said Sofia.

Kahlil and Jade laughed...


"Minister of Offense....I like that." said Attorney Sean Shotwell laughing...

"Well for you guys information...I'm suing him... He's my former client.. As I explained to your supervisor...After hearing the verdict on him in Pennsylvania, He was subsequently disbarred in New York, New Jersey, Deleware and Washington. D.C.

He moved to  Maine and passed the bar exam there with flying colors and applied for a law license ..

It was denied. Apparently the word on his shenanigans traveled fast....

He started seeing a young woman, also a disbarred attorney...They started a consulting business. That didn't pan out...They were at each other's throats after awhile and the business dissolved..She has since been re-instated by the bar and is practicing law again...He has dropped out of sight.. I intend to get my money....." said Sean Shotwell..

"Well, good luck to you." I said.
''Yeah I hope you take him for every remaining cent he has left." said Sofia.
"Ditto." said Bee Bee.

"Well here are our clients." said Kahlil...



Our Client, Former Tennis ace, Mike Hudson, husband of wealthy Novelist, Jessica Hudson was being represented by us....He was standing in for his wife , who was suing Sean's client..


Hillary Clark, a former winner of Ms. Panties, who claimed her likeness was used in a novel.


While we litigated.... Judge Jetty Dukes paid our Office manager, Virginia Shaw , a visit....

"They been in there for two hours....What's going on?" asked Jetty...

''The Woman that won Ms. Panties, a few years back...Hillary Clark is suing Jessica Hudson...She claims her likeness was used in a novel that's a little too close to the truth." said Virginia.


"YESSSSSSSSSSS...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSss...I remember Ms. Clark....I was uh one of the Judges in the Ms. Panties pageant and have been for the past five years...I've read some of Jessica Hudson's trashy novels.... When on a long flight to another city of course....and they have uh parodied quite a few notable people....It's a wonder Ms. Hudson doesn't get sued a lot more often..." said Jetty...


"You are truly a horn dog supreme.....Judging the Ms. Panties pageant.....and reading trashy Jessica Hudson novels..You probably skip to the steamy sex scenes don't you?" laughed Virginia, shaking her head...


"I've used a couple of those moves on you.." said Jetty ,taking Virginia in his arms and kissing her..


"UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, AWWWWWWWWWWWW LAWWWWWWWD!" he moaned....

"OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" Virginia squealed, being taken by surprise...


"Jetty chill I'm at work...." said Virginia, prying loose from his embrace....

We were all coming out of the conference room then...

"Thank you Mr. Shotwell, at least you got me something...Not as much as I wanted, but something." said Hillary Clark.
"I just couldn't get them to admit wrong doing or guilt....I feel like we got the booby prize." said Sean Shotwell...
"Yvette, you and your guys are worth your weight in gold... I want all of you to have dinner at our place tomorrow night....Please..." said Mike Hudson..
"Ohhhh thank youuuu, you guys down?" asked Ms. Yvette..
''Sure...Free meal, why not?" I said.
"Oh hush up....Yes Ms. Yvette, we are coming." said Bee Bee.
''We are coming too!" said Sofia.
"We'll be honored to attend." said Kahlil...

"Thank you for the invite." said Jade.


"Thank you guys for the modest settlement....I know they wanted to bankrupt us...but you guys put a stop to that...We'll see you guys tomorrow night..." said Mike Hudson....

''He's a nice guy....I've heard that his wife is a real bitch on wheels." said Sofia.
"Oh My Goddddd....I met her many years ago...I had one of her novels...I ran up to her, all in fangirl mode and introduced myself...I told her I was an attorney and that I (at the time) had read all of her novels and I asked for an autograph...She looked at me like I was dirt and said "Normally I'd be impressed but right now I am pressed, sorry darlin..." I was fit to be tied...Truth be  told, I didn't want to take this case and if Mr. McCluskey hadn't of personally asked me to intercede for him ,so he and his wife could go on vacation...I wouldn't have taken it..  I'm glad her husband filled in as a proxy for her.."said Ms. Yvette.
''Yes...he seems like a real nice guy, too nice for her." said Bee Bee.
"I was thinking the same thing....I've seen her on Television talk shows...She doesn't come off as very nice." I said.
"She'll be gracious tomorrow night...We just saved her a bundle..." said Kahlil.

''Don't bet on it." said Jade.


''At any rate...This ought to be good for a laugh." said Ms. Yvette.



III-


Jessica and Mike's house near the outskirts of the city was incredible...



We were greeted by Jessica's sexy personal assistant Kathy Morrison.

"Do come in...We've been expecting you." she said with a bright smile.

"This house...This House is like like something out of a dream...It is off the rails." I said.
"Oh My God....It's beautiful..." observed Bee Bee..
"WOWWWWWW! What a house!" said Sofia..
"Talk about Split Level..Josie Boyd has an Architect's Degree in addition to her MBA and Law degree's...I wish she was here to see this." exclaimed Kahlil..

"This Josie Person seems like somebody I ought to know, with all of those skills and accolades... When you're finished being in awe of my house...Dinner is about to be served.." said Jessica Hudson, amused by the four of us...
"Oh Jessica, stop being such a snob...Leave them alone..." said Evie Harden, her best friend. Maybe the only friend she ever really had. Evie Harden, real name, Evelyn Harden was also an Attorney with a Harvard Law degree. She represented Jessica exclusively.
"Oh Evie...I'm not being snobbish...I'm just being, well me...." said Jessica Hudson, who took a long look at Ms. Yvette... " You're a Managing Partner now of McCluskey/Cozen/Connor & Pratt, but I seem to remember you.... I've been on retainer for your firm for years....I met you years ago....You weren't a partner then....You were just starting out...You wanted an autograph....I was busy...." said Jessica. She picked up a copy of her latest novel and autographed it.. "To Yvette with Love- Jessica" and passed it to Ms. Yvette. "Im not too busy now." she said, again with a fake smile.

Ms. Yvette smiled. "Better Late than never..huh?  Thank you." she said , taking the book. The truth was...After that incident, she was so hurt, so angry ,that she never read another one of Jessica Hudson's novels again and tossed the ones she did have in the dumpster behind her apartment complex...
She had told her husband Gary about it and he had smiled..
Jessica looked at our racial make up....

Me and Bee Bee, Two African-American Attorneys.
Sofia, a Latina Attorney with a thick accent.....
Kahlil, an Arab Attorney
And our investigator, Jade , an Asian woman...


All lead by this little Black girl, who had since made Partner and surrounded herself with people of color and remarked....


"You're just a regular United Nations in that Satellite office aren't you?" a snarky and racist remark that didn't go un noticed or challenged by Jade. 
"Ms. Yvette tries to be all inclusive...." she said...
"Anything wrong with that?" asked her husband, Lt. Danny Ho.
"Oh No...No...Nothing at all." said Jessica with a fake smile.


"Dinner is ready, let's retreat into the dining room." said Kathy, trying to break the tesnsion.

"Uh, Dinner is being served guys..." said her husband, Mike, embarrassed by his wife's crassness.


As could be expected...The Dining room was huge......





We were served Lamb Shanks...They were wonderfully seasoned and delicious... Along with Candied Sweet Potatoes, a nice salad and Lambrusco... The meal was worthwhile..
"Mrs. Hudson, everything was delicious." said Bee Bee.
''Yes it was..Thank you for inviting us." said Sofia.


"Thank you dears...They are sooo well mannered." said Jessica to Yvette as if she were speaking of children...



''Why wouldn't they be?" asked Yvette, who had had about a snootful of Jessica Hudson and her racial micro aggressions' tonight.

Gary hugged her and softly rubbed her back,.....He could tell.





Kahlil and I, Jade and Danny cringed at that remark...



So did her husband and Attorney Evie Harden.....


There was a Dogwood plant in the room.....



Kathy's eyes began watering and she began sneezing,,,,,


"Kathy, cover your mouth!" said Jessica.


"She's having an allergic reaction to something..."said Mike..


"The Dogwood....The Dogwood...I'm extremely allergic to it...." said Kathy....


"Michael.....Don't stand there like a jackass....Go grab my allergy pills...They are in the medicine cabinet..." screamed Jessica.


''They're prescription....I don't think that's wise.." protested Mike.

"That's the problem, you don't think...Grab the pills like I asked you." said Jessica....



Mike did as he was told and fetched the pills... Kathy was given a glass of water and two pills...

The pills didn't make her any better, she began to wretch and shake violently and fell to the floor..

Both Gary and Danny Ho ran to her side..

''Call 911!" said Gary.
''There is no need for 911 Gary.......She's dead!" said Danny Ho.

IV-


The Crime Scene Investigators and Police officers on the scene  snapped photos and took statements from everybody...









We being Attorneys and investigators as well as a Lieutenant from Robbery-Homicide were trained in how to testify ,observe what we saw and the like.
Mike Hudson was a mess, he couldn't believe Kathy was dead and had died right in front of him....He was devestated..
Evie Harden tried to comfort him...
Jessica Hudson was as cool as a cucumber, showing zero emotion and answering all of the questions being asked.


"The Subject, Kathy Morrison  did indeed have an allergic reaction to the Dogwood plant...but that's not what killed her... It was these prescription allergy pills... See? Look at the blue vomit around her mouth... Smell." said Dr. Hazel Baylor, Deputy Coroner..


"Arsenic...." said Lt. Danny Ho...

"That's right....I've cut open a number of them....They're all laced with Arsenic....These pills were stepped on, probably after they got here, I don't know...but this gentlemen is MURDER!" said Dr. Marcy Martin, also a Deputy Coroner..


"AND THAT'S WHERE I COME IN...Step aside..Step Aside." came the voice of Lt. Arthur Tragg, homicide..


''What are you doing here? I was on the scene... I was a dinner guest.." protested Lt. Danny Ho.


"You were huh? That means you're off duty Lieutenant....And since I have seniority and am the superior officer...That makes this MY CASE!" said Lt. Tragg, who was surprised to see us here..

"Yvette...you and your snot nosed kids were guests...HERE??" he said.

She hated him calling us that..

"Yes, why is that such a surprise??.. The Hudsons are our clients...We were invited after a successful litigation.
"Litigation...That's a negotiation...Do you understand that?" said Bee Bee mocking him and also angry about being called "Snot Nosed."
"You got a Napkin Sofia??.. I may have to wipe the snot from my nose."I said Mockingly...
"No, can't say that I do...My nose is not running." said Sofia.
"Mine neither."said Kahlil..

The four of us laughed.
"We 're Well behaved Snot Nosed Kids." said Jade, wanting Mrs. Hudson to hear it and to know we didn't appreciate it..

Lt. Tragg hated being the butt of any joke..His fragile ego couldn't take it.. He railed at us mocking him....

"Alright, Alright... I need to question everybody here." he said.

Gary realized it was part of procedure.

But Mike, Evie and Jessica didn't...
"We've already given statements to the officers." said Mike.
"Yes...We've already given statements to the officers." said Evie.
"We've already given our Statements." said Jessica.


"WELL NOW YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE YOUR STATEMENTS TO ME!" Lt. Tragg bellowed.

Despite the fact that we had already given statements...He took us one at a time into seperate rooms and got statements from us again.


He came out and looked at Mike.

"You picked up your wife's prescription yesterday didn't you?" he asked.



"Yes , I always pick up her prescription...Why?" asked Mike. I knew where this was going....


"You stepped on these pills didn't you?  You killed the wrong person....The real target was YOUR WIFE!!!  You stand to inherit her 30 Million dollar fortune ,plus the 1 Million dollar life insurance policy don't you??" snarled Lt. Tragg.


"THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!!! HOW DARE YOU MAKE SUCH AN ACCUSATION!" screamed a livid
Mike Hudson..


"Buddy, you're under arrest, Murder one...Book him Danny!" said Lt. Tragg.

"I'm off duty, remember?" said Lt. Danny Ho snidely.

"You do this all the time Lt. Tragg, you jump to conclusions and arrest the wrong person...We haven't even finished our investigation yet....YOU DON'T KNOW ALL OF THE FACTS!" said an angry, Dr. Hazel Baylor.


"LET ME REMIND YOU ONE MORE TIME DOCTOR!!!! I AM THE DETECTIVE HERE!!! I MAKE THE CALL.......NOT YOU!! IF WORKING WITH ME DISPLEASES YOU SO MUCH, GET ANOTHER CAREER!" snarled Lt. Tragg.


''YOU SHOULD GET ANOTHER CAREER, CROSSING GUARD...YOU PROBABLY COULD ACTUALLY EXCEL IN THAT! " SCREAMED AN ANGRY  Dr. Hazel Baylor..





Somehow the thought of him helping children cross the street hit the four of us as funny at the same time and we all laughed hysterically at what Hazel said.


Lt. Tragg's fragile ego was again bruised... He was livid!!


''Hazel, Hazel, calm down...Just walk away." said Dr. Marcy Martin quietly walking Hazel away..Trying to tone down the temperature.


"Michael Hudson, you are under arrest for the murder of Kathleen Morrison..You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.. You have a right to legal counsel, an attorney...If you can not afford one, which in your case is highly unlikely, one will be provided for you...Do you understand these rights as I am rciting them to you? Of course you do...Hook him up boys..." said Lt. Tragg.


''You know....Anybody in here could have stepped on those pills. why don't you let the M.E.'s office conclude their investigation first?" said Yvette.


''Vettie, you're a lawyer...a very good lawyer...I never speak to you on legal matters...I AM THE DETECTIVE HERE!!! I MAKE THE CALL......You work your side of the street and I'll work mine. Are you thinking about reppin him?" asked Lt. Tragg.


"We just finished a big murder case as you know....and a big litigation yesterday involving The Hudsons, which is why we were invited to dinner.. I believe they have a lawyer..but you know, anything is possible." she said.


"This is a stone loser...I'd stay away from it." said Lt. Tragg.


We watched as the body was removed and poor Mr. Hudson


was marched out in handcuffs...


What a night this turned out to be.


I kept looking at Mrs. Hudson....I almost thought I detected a slight smile.

(TO BE CONTINUED)


No comments: