Friday, October 30, 2009

Wonders Never Cease


A month later, I was laying in the bed with Cindy and I just happened to say non-chalantly...

"Man, Brinkley was sure pissed off that he got exposed and had to share his business with his ex-wife. They sold it and split the sale profit." I said.

"Oh really? " said Cindy perking up.

"Yeah and he blamed the whole fiasco on Mr. Foxworth...gave us the blackball..
We haven't had but one major client since that happened..."I said.

Cindy tried to supress a laugh...

"Wow..so Robert is in dire straits eh?" she said.

"Yup...I'm glad I'm getting my J.D. next month...I'm gonna take the bar and start sending out resume's because he might have to close up his office and get
a job with a firm himself..." I said.

"Oh my God..." she laughed.

"Everything we have is riding on this big client...uh er ..a Mr. Clerow." I said.

"Clerow? What kind of name is that?" laughed Cindy.

"You laugh ,but he owns a lot of real estate...Houses that he rents and apartments..He's getting a divorce from his wife Cora Beth, who is the real money...It's just like Brinkley almost...and , well...if we can swing this deal..we'll be back in business a little bit." I said..then I yawned and pretended to go to sleep.

Hours later..I met with Robert Foxworth and Kevin Morris at Josie's....

"You think she went for it?" asked Robert....

"Oh man..she was salivating..." I laughed.

"Okay..just slyly drop more information about our "client" " said Kevin , who couldn't supress a laugh himself.

Just then, Robert's Blackberry went off...

"Hello? Oh Hi Corrie...What? Already? Okay...just play along...Tell Clerow to be
in place tonight, okay? Thanks Baby and thanks to the both of you." laughed
Robert.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"That was Corabeth...She said an Attorney named Lee Holmes just contacted her about representing her in her "divorce" from Clerow. "laughed Robert.

"Oh man, how careful is your girl, Cindy Waters? She doesn't put herself in the plot..She gets another attorney to represent the other party...That way..none of this comes back to her...Gotta like her ." laughed Kevin.

"You ever hear of Elliot Spencer?" I said.

"Yeah..he's an attorney we both used to work for." said Robert.

"Well..he's the attorney who handled Mrs. Brinkley's case." I said.

"Want to bet she was getting information on that case from you and passing it on and probably accepted a fee from him for her inside information?" said Kevin.

"Can you prove that?" said Robert....

"I've been putting together enough evidence to prove that she or somebody hired private detectives and photographers to follow Brinkley and sell the photos to a couple of services...With what we have on the tape of her talking to Chance...We have just enough to make a legal review board take a good long look at her." said Kevin.

A few nights later ,I was over at Cindy's house ,in the living room watching a college football game while she talked on the phone.

"What? You've withdrawn your petition of divorce? Mam..We can win this,
We have photos of your husband coming out of a strip joint.....We have photos of him and somebody having sex in a hotel room..We can sink him...What?
What do you mean??? I hired a lot of people that I have to pay for their investigative work....Oh you can't be serious..Wait..somebody is at the door..
Let me call you back."

I turned the television off and sat back...This was going to be good.

Cindy Waters looked like she was going to faint when she saw Robert Foxworth
at the door.

"What are you doing here Robert?" she snapped.

"What Cindy, no hello, now how have you been?" he laughed.

"Get out." she said.

"I would like to introduce you to some people. This is Clerow..my client." he said.

"How do you do mam?" said Clerow.

"And this is his lovely wife, Corabeth...They have a beautiful one year old daughter and are not thinking about a divorce..That's why I had her call you from this cell phone, just outside your house. This here is her baby sister,Anita..
the uh "stripper" you photographed with Clerow and this is a wig...Corabeth was the one he was in the hotel simulating sex with." laughed Robert.

Clerow and Corabeth looked at each other sheepishly..

"Hey Robert..we wasn't simulating nothin." laughed Clerow.. Robert gave them both the side eye, then continued..I chuckled to myself.

"Cindy,Cindy,Cindy.....I have enough evidence here that if I turned this in to the
review board..you could be censored..."said Robert.

"So you're blackmailing me right?" she said. Robert frowned..He looked pensive for a minute then he shook his head.

"No...I've done enough to you already.....I'm not going to turn you in.....I'm going to apologize to you....I came on to you ,when you were young...I was married and I led you on...I was wrong..I have wronged you several times..and if it wasn't for me..you wouldn't be stooping this low....I'm sorry Cindy...I only hope that you can find it in your heart to one day forgive me." he said.

Me ,Clerow, Corabeth and Anita were all shocked...We just knew that Robert was going to rip her a new one. He didn't...He actually looked sad..I kind of felt sorry for both of them. I gathered my things and followed Robert,Clerow,Corrie and Anita out of the house. I knew that I would not be coming back..

I've seen Cindy Waters around, every now and then..at different affairs...Sometimes by herself, sometimes with a date..always looking lonely,always looking bored...I actually felt sorry for her, despite the fact that she spitefully used me.

A few nights later..I was sitting in Josie's with of all people..Sheena...

"Wow Chance..I never thought we'd be speaking again." she said.

"Yeah..wonders never cease." I remarked.

"Where you been?"she said.

"I was involved with another woman." I said..feeling no need to lie and not caring what she thought about it.

"Oh...what happened..yall broke up?" she said.

"It didn't work out..How bout you...you still seeing what's his name?" I said.

"Nah...that went south...He and his wife got a divorce...but he turned out to be a real asshole....I sent him packing..." she said.

"Hmmmph...aint that something?" I said as I downed my drink and got ready
to leave.

'So Chance..Where does that leave us?" she said.

"It doesn't leave us anywhere." I remarked.

"How about one for the road." she said and winked..

I smiled at her..She smiled back sweetly....

"That could work." I said.

18 comments:

Toni said...

Wow...What a surprising ending..Excellent Keith!

Angie B. said...

You flipped the script on this one
bruh...Good Job.

Sunflower said...

I loved the way you had Robert show compassion and remorse, when he could have destroyed Cindy's career..Excellent!

Brenda said...

I read this at Midnight..I had to get up to tell you that I' standing and applauding.

(Keeping my panties on though!-lololol)

Cheryl said...

Great conclusion Keith!

Lisa said...

I loved this story from top to bottom.

Halo said...

A true sign that you've gotten over someone is when you can get revenge and you choose not to.

Vanessa said...

Great story Keith..I think we all would like to be in a position to get back at someone and yet not do it. Robert showed that he was the bigger person in this instance.

Sean said...

Great Story Bruh!

Captain Jack said...

I was nearly in tears! Good story Keith!

Anonymous said...

Good Story, but couldn't you have shown Chance and Sheena getting down? Or had Robert and Cindy tearfully fall into the bed??

Simon Bastion said...

I really loved this story. Incredible and moral conclusion to Robert and Cindy's cold war...
Great point that you made.

James Perkins said...

Incredible ending...Perhaps young Chance learned something.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Ahhhhhhh Keith, you sly dog..You had Robert show some mercy and restraint..A true playa..He can still get them drawers from Cindy on demand...That's why he didn't throw the hammer down when he could.

Jazzy said...

Good Job Fam!

Swaggie said...

Good story, but I kind of wanted Robert to finish Cindy off..She deserved it for all of the stuff she's put him through.

Tate 2 said...

Have a good weekend Keith...Another good story..I can only wonder what's next.

Anonymous said...

Great ending. I liked that Robert broke the cycle of revenge. Great job as always.