Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Presenting Mr and Mrs. Nelson East

I drove up to the apartment complex.....This was where Paris and Blake, Chance Howard and Cole lived ...It was also where Nelson had been staying for a week...The week before the wedding...It was customary not to see the bride ...At least on the day of the wedding until they got to the church...Here in Philly they were overdoing it...I thought so anyway....

This was my first time ever being a best man at anybody's wedding...I wasn't nervous...I mean..It wasn't like I was getting married...I already was...

Nelson and his groomsmen were dressed in fine tuxedos....Tailor made for them by Sam the Tailor..who tailor made my suits...This was gift to Nelson and his groomsmen.....

Paris greeted me...

"Hey Donnie Ray....We ready man..." he said..

"I see..."I said.. My gut told me that they were all nervous....Nelson was the first one of them to do this...Chance and Anita Jenkins were engaged...but hadn't walked down the aisle yet...Cole and Nicole Butler were also engaged...but hadn't walked down the aisle yet....Both couples had been engaged for almost a year....Nelson and Beverly were engaged for all of ten weeks...They said why waste any more time?  They had been going together for four years and co-habitating now for the past year...(Even though Nelson had just formerly moved in a few weeks ago..)

Paris didn't look like he was close to asking Josie the question yet. I just smiled... Nelson had more courage than all of them...He was going to show em how it's done today!
Nelson was cheerful...

"I miss Bev.." he said.

"You haven't even talked to her...You two haven't gone a week without talking...." I said..

''Since I've known her...Even before we became a couple.." he said..

''WOW!" I said..."Well, come on guys...We got a wedding to go to." I said..

''What about Liv and Bev...How they gettin to the wedding?" he asked..
I smiled...

"They both have drivers licenses Nelson....They'll be there...You ready?" I asked...
"Let's Get it!" he said...

''Atta Boy.." I said smiling..




II-
We drove to the church....It was packed.....
Nelson's legs almost buckled as he peered at the crowd....

 My friend and fellow Private Investigator, Kevin Morris was there
with his wife ,Sepia and their cute little daughter, Kimberly... Her business partner, Bonita Foxworth

was also with them....

 The Attorney who had mentored so many of them, Hoagie was there with Bridget
Who had supplied almost every young woman in here with lingerie of some type at one time or another..
 Our friend and Attorney and Fellow Investigator, Bonnie Shay and her husband

Ronnie was also here...
 Attorney Celeste Tate Foster and her husband..
Attorney Soloman Foster was here also....
 So was Olivia's former divorce attorney, Zoey Easter and her fiance,
Lem....They were getting married themselves in two months....
 Attorney Arthur Trout
and his girlfriend, Samantha were in attendance..
 As was Millionaire playboy, Rollie Rollerson
and his wife, Jean....
 Beverly's ex-boyfriend, Dr. Wallace Anderson and his wife,
Ginger were also in attendance....
Attorney Calvin Hunt and his wife were in attendance as was our friends from Law enforcement...

 ADA Keith Wallace
His beautiful wife , Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace...
 Sexy Lieutenant Sissy Van Buren
and her husband... Eddie C.
 Our friend, Deputy Coroner and Forensic Investigator, Dr. Hazel Baylor and my main man, her husband
Detective Edwin "Duke" Baylor...
 Detective Sirena Pile and her husband...My other good friend,
Detective Tyriq Pile...
 Detective Angela Belton-Barlow
and Detective Jimmy Barlow, her husband... and FBI deputy Special Agent in charge, Sharon Ferrell -Hopkins , who was both Olivia's and my friend..
and her husband...Detective Antonio Hopkins , who had gone to law school with Olivia.


Rounding out the guests were our new friends...

Attorney Yvette Jones..
and her young attorneys, who she supervised now...
 Keith Jones
Bee Bee Evans,
Sofia Garcia and
Khalil Ahmed....

All there to wish the happy couple well....

One person who was definitely not there to wish the couple well was Attorney Larry North, he stood outside the church looking at his watch...as if he was expecting somebody...Maybe his plus one...

He had a can of beer...Unknown to me...It was his fourth...He drank it down and tossed the beer can in the trash can.

III-
 I stood with Nelson, he seemed calm...
I whispered to him...

"Almost over now...Soon you'll have your Beverly all to yourself.."I said... Remembering I had done this myself , three times and been stood up at the alter twice before Liv became the third and final woman I went to the alter with...She didn't stand me up...but I had my doubts up to the very end...I didn't wish that for Nelson...I didn't mention the possibility....

 Beverly's mother, Alfreda sat in the front row...She looked stunningly beautiful....I could see where Beverly got her good looks from...
Rockland sat next to her...Doting on her...Smiling from ear to ear....She looked at him and just busted out laughing and rubbed his hands softly.. They looked Happy if nothing else..
Malinda , who was married to Beverly's father , sat on the other aisle....She was beaming too...Happy to be a part of this...

The church was silent....Then the lights dimmed......The Wedding march was played and I saw my wife, Olivia..
She looked gorgeous....

She was followed by their cousin , Kayla...
Josie Boyd


and the rest of the bridesmaids....Cherish, Nicole Butler and Anita Jenkins...

Paris led the groomsmen in, Blake, Cole, Chance Howard and Nelson's Boss, Robert Foxworth..
 .and Kayla's boyfriend, Ray...



and then the music got louder.....

Big Jimmy West, Olivia's Brother...and Beverly's Father was the first person I saw...He was so big he practically towered over Shortcake..
But there she was...The cutest, happiest little bride you ever did see....Laughing and Crying...I'd never seen her this happy...
Nelson looked like he wanted to jump on her...ravish her.....

His Uncle, Fathead Newton, the former gangster said..

''Chill Out Neph...She aint goin nowhere...You got her now!"

The entire church exploded in guffaws of laughter....
Olivia cracked up laughing...
My sister Nell, Her Husband and my nephew and Niece were there too, They snapped photos of her...
Beverly laughed.....

Reverend Struthers preached a sermon about the meaning of marriage, according to the bible..

Again...the whole ceremony was in a crazy type of slow motion for both Nelson and Beverly.. I don't believe they heard a word of what he said...They just kept staring at each other...
"The rings please... Do you Beverly Cheryl West take this man, Nelson Sean East to be your lawfully wedded husband in sickness and in health, for rich or for poor, for better or for worse ,forsaking all others until death do you part?"


''I do.." said Beverly softly...

 ''I do!" said Nelson..

The Church erupted in laughter...

"Son will you give me a chance to ask you the question? " said Reverend Struthers...

''Sorry" said Nelson..

Which was met by more laughter...

Pastor Struthers smiled..


''She is a beautiful girl....I can't blame the boy...Do you Nelson Sean East take this woman, Beverly Cheryl West to be your lawfully wedded wife in sickness and in health, for rich or for poor, for better or for worse ,forsaking all others until death do you part?"he asked..

"I DO!" said Nelson..

Reverend Struthers smiled..

"Now you got it right Boy.."

The church erupted in more laughter....

''Settle Down...Settle down... BY THE POWER INVESTED IN ME BY THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA, I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU HUSBAND AND WIFE...LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PRESENTING MR. AND MRS NELSON EAST!!!"


The crowd exploded in cheers.....

Beverly and Nelson didn't wait to be told they could kiss..They kissed passionately...
They both hugged and kissed Olivia next...
"Liv, thank you for introducing her to me all those years ago...I never dreamed it would lead to this.."said an exuberant Nelson...

" I'm so glad it did...You've always been like the younger brother I never had.." said Olivia to Nelson..She hugged him...

"Thank You for making my niece happy!" she said, starting to tear up...

''Don't cry Auntay, you're gonna make me cry......I love you and Donnie Ray so much!" said Beverly...Now she was tearing up too...
 Alfreda and Jimmy, who  hadn't seen each other in years hugged briefly...

"Look what we made...huh?" said Alfreda...
''We didn't do so bad huh?" said Jimmy, smiling..  Alfreda, this is my wife, Malinda..."he said.

"Pleased to meet you.." said Malinda...
"Pleased to meet you too!...Jimmy she's gorgeous...This is my boyfriend, Rockland Cambridge.."she said...
"Pleased to meet you.." he said..

"Likewise.." said Jimmy smiling and shaking his hand.......

In the back of the church was Larry North...and he was with Attorney Annette Collins...She and Larry had arrived ,just as the vows were being said...
She insisted on coming up and hugging Beverly...Larry didn't want her to, but she ignored him....

"Congratulations lady...You too Nelson..." she said and hugged him also....She knew them both from her days as a young public defender...


"You finally got her...You got your Beverly...Nicely done counselor." she said, laughing...

"Thank You Annette." said Nelson.

"I'm so happy for both of you..It was a beautiful wedding and your gown is gorgeous  girlfriend!!! I Love it!" she said..

"Thank you Annette.." said Beverly, who didn't look Larry North's way...She knew that he came here with Annette Collins as a way to dig at her...but nothing was going to spoil her happiness today...She and Nelson were married..She hugged Annette and the two women laughed....

IV-
The reception was loud and rambunctious...Lots of dancing and drinking..Ralph Scallion and his daughter Roc did a wonderful job of catering, Along with Mabel,Victoria  and Corabeth Jenkins and their staff......

Chris and Chess supplied the hall and were there in tuxes as well...

and partying....

Larry North stood in the corner, drinking one drink after another ,While Annette Collins


 talked to old friends, Celeste Tate, Soloman Foster, Robert Foxworth ,Arthur Trout,



Keith Wallace, Rollie Rollerson and Hoagie....

 Old friends she hadn't seen in years.... Larry North was more than annoyed that except for Celeste Tate, all of them were men!

Olivia looked at me..

"Husband...why don't you and I book a room somewhere tonight and let Beverly and Nelson have the house?


 They haven't seen each other in a week...I'm pretty sure it might be noisy tonight.." she said and smiled..


''Way ahead of you Liv..I booked us a room at this hotel.."I said.
''That's why I love you..Let me go tell Beverly ..." said Olivia..
''Yvette Jones is that you?" asked Jimmy...
"It's me...How you been Jimmy?" she asked..

"I've been doin pretty good ,Got Married , I Live out on the west coast now...San-Francisco...I 'm a Free Lance Photographer..How bout you?" he asked..

"I'm not married yet...I am seeing someone...It's just starting to get serious...He couldn't make it tonight....I'm at Mcclusky Law Firm...Tryin to make partner.." she said..

''Well, you look good...Glad to see you're doing good..." he said.

Larry North stood in the back of the reception room with Annette Collins..watching it all...
''So uh Annette, how about we go back to my hotel and uh get reacquainted...I have a nice Vintage port on ice..."said Larry North..

"Sorry Sweetie...I have to be back in D.C. tomorrow..I'm leaving tonight..." she said..

"But Uh Annette...we didn't really get a chance to get ahhh reacquainted." said Larry North...

"You mean we didn't get a chance to sleep together?  Sorry darlin...Maybe the next time we get together.." she said..

She had no intention of sleeping with Larry North or getting started up with him again.She rushed out of the church to a waiting cab...

"Deuces" she said alluringly!


Larry North stood there looking like he'd swallowed a can of paint...Seething with anger...

He turned around and saw Beverly and Nelson, just a few feet from him!!!

Beverly and Nelson were in a corner, kissing like it was going out of style...

"OH GET A ROOM!" he grumbled....I doubt if either of them heard him!
 Oblivious to everything and everyone around them....


''Let's go back to the house..We're already packed....We got the house to ourselves...Auntay and Donnie Ray booked a hotel for tonight.."said Beverly to Nelson in between kisses..

Larry North was now consumed with a white hot rage upon overhearing that!!!!

"You lead the way babes.."said Nelson as Beverly led him by the hand to her car...

People cheered and tossed rice at the happy couple as they drove off into the Philadelphia Night..

They didn't notice Larry North standing by the door as they left.. Fuming!!!

It made him want to vomit......

He stomped his foot and stumbled out of the church and into the street...He kicked over a trash can and hurt his foot...

"OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!" he moaned....
I noticed him and said to Olivia...

"Another Happy customer huh? I keep wondering why he'd even come to Philly during this time..He knew they were getting married...All he's done is make himself miserable as well as everyone around him." I said.

''I don't want to think about or discuss  him....I just want to go somewhere and be alone with you..." she said and we both laughed..
There was a full moon out tonight...

Shortcake and Nelson were married now...

And for now...All was right with the world...


(TO BE CONTINUED)


11 comments:

Toni said...

Wonderful! They're married at last!

Angie B. said...

So glad they tied the knot and their day wasn't ruined by Larry North.

Sunflower said...

Oh Joy! Nelson & Beverly together at Last!

Lisa said...

INCREDIBLE STORY! LOVED SEEING THE ESCAPADES UNIVERSE!

Halo said...

Who wasn't in this episode? Only reason we didn't see Nate & Monica is because they haven't been born yet!

Vanessa said...

INCREDIBLE EPISODE...LOVED IT!

Rita said...

Very Sweet Episode....At times hillariously funny!

Brenda said...

To His Credit...Larry North did not do anything to disrupt the wedding like I thought he was and his plus one didn't play his game...She didn't upset Beverly and she didn't sleep with Larry...A total defeat for him.

Cheryl said...

Speaking of Larry...Where was Sylvia...Was it a writers error? I noticed Sylvia was absent from the wedding ad she said that she was coming..

Yvonne Anderson said...

Nicely written and plotted...I loved Seeing all of the other Escapades charactors!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Another Classic Escapades Wedding...Nicely written!