Thursday, April 26, 2018

A Telling Fracture

I was sitting in Aqua Bar a few nights later...We had had two preliminary hearings that basically went no where...




Olivia and Beverly, helped out by Nelson and Josie argued "Diminished capacity..." saying the Judge was driven into a rage by his wife's public humiliations...which caused temporary insanity and led to him beating Carlton Campbell to death...

Most people would except this....ADA Rockland Cambridge didn't fight them on this...In fact he asked Olivia to make him an offer....
Olivia said she was going to try to get him acquitted on basis of temporary insanity....

Rockland just nodded....He looked as if he didn't even want to fight Olivia on this issue...Truth is...He didn't..

He was definitely a different guy from the guy we faced in court on three different occassions...for many reasons...but it seemed like the fight was out of him..
I was sitting at the bar....I was waiting for Cornel "Sea Biscuit" Jones...Another eye witness to the beat down...

Ray, The Manager of Big Rig 2 and the cashier, plus several people I had intervieed over the past week had basically told the same story that Judge Reynolds told....We knew that Carlton Campbell had put his hands up Patricia Reynold's dress..
We knew that the two had been talking quietly in a booth in the back prior to this...
We knew that the two had kissed by the door when her husband, Judge Reynold's surprised them..
Enraged...He and Campbell fought....The fight spilled into the street....The Judge took a beating before he rallied and knocked Campbell down and out!!!

Almost everybody said that Campbell was conscious and awake ,when the Judge and his wife left..

In the back of my mind, I suspected there might be more to this..

II-
I did a work up on the victim, Carlton Campbell...Born and Raised in Philadelphia PA.  He was educated in Philadelphia Public Schools...Did a stint in the U.S. Army after graduation...Honorably discharged..He did one year at Community College before dropping out...He had no police record....and was employed as a truck driver for a beverage company...

But another picture of him emerged as I interviewed his family and friends...and fellow employees..He was a bit of a bully...He borrowed money and didn't return it and had pummelled a few people who dared ask for their money back...

Two of his ex-girlfriends filed domestic abuse complaints against him...They were surprisingly dropped..It was said he intimidated them...

He had slept with Cornell "Sea Biscuit" Jones 's wife..and had not kept it a secret that he was..When Sea Biscut confronted him...He pulled a gun on him and made him leave his own house...

He bragged about it to several people, further humiliating him....

Sea Biscuit asked and won a divorce from his wife...He got to keep the house and his car and only had to pay a small amount of money to her...

Not a very nice person....


Olivia,Beverly and Nelson were in Aqua Bar....but not sitting with me...Since they knew him on sight...I was depending on them to nod when they saw him....I had gotten a good tip that he liked to drink in Aqua Bar..
Olivia was wearing a sheer yellow dress like the one she was wearing the first time I saw her....I couldn't take my eyes off of her...
Beverly walked over to me..

"There he is Donnie Ray....Coming through the door.." she said.
I smiled..

"Thanks Shortcake.."I said..

"You need any help D.R.?" asked Nelson..

"No...I don't want to spook him..."I said..

There was a nice crowd in here....

I walked over to him..

''Sea Biscuit right?" I said quietly...
''Who wants to know?" he asked.  He looked around, then he took off running...

Damn it...What was he running for?

I ran out the door behind him...but I didn't need to...Another man had him and slammed him up against the wall..

''Sea Biscuit...No Hello, No how are you doin?" said the man, who I had never seen before..

He was tall, light skinned and had beautiful green eyes....His demeanor said cop....

"I didn't do nothin...I swear..."said Sea Biscuit.....

"Then why were you running? Let's walk inside and sit down and talk like decent respectable human beings.." said the man...
I stood dumb founded...

"You're Donnie Ray Alexander....Investigator for Attorney's Olivia Bennett-Alexander and Beverly West right?... I'm Gary Lockwood...I'm an Investigator for the D.A.'s office...When I was a cop..I was quite familliar with Mr. Jones here...Isn't that right Sea Biscuit?" said Gary Lockwood..

The three of us walked back into Aqua Bar and sat down..

Olivia and Beverly saw us and walked over to our table with Nelson...

"Oh My God...Ms. Olivia, Ms. Beverly, Nelson...Am I glad to see you guys..."said Sea Biscuit...

''Why Cornell, you need a lawyer?" asked Olivia..."Hi Gary, long time no see?" said Olivia..
So Olivia knew this man...
"Heyy Liv...Beverly...I see you guys are still hanging out with Nelson...No, in fact..Nelson and Beverly are married now...Yall is family.." said Gary..

 ''That's right Lieutenant Lockwood."said Beverly..
"Hey Gary.."said Nelson..

"I see you've met my husband, Donnie Ray Alexander.."said Olivia.

''I have...  Former New Orleans Homicide Detective...I uh was a Lieutenant with IA and Robbery-Homicide..Now I'm an Investigator for the D.A.'s office.." said Gary...

'
''So you know my niece

 and I have our own private practice now?" said Olivia.


"Who doesn't know that? You two are on TV all the time and the mention of your name sends my boss into a panic.."laughed Gary..
"You work for Rockland Cambridge?" asked Nelson...

"Guilty as charged...Look..We want to get to the bottom of this as bad as you do.. Lt. Tragg made the arrest...but Rockland doesn't trust him...He sent me to find out if there is anyway we can resolve this..So in effect we are working for the same purpose..."said Gary, who slipped me some files..

"What are these?" I asked..

''Crime Scene photos...Arrest report...Lt. Tragg would have made you get a subpeona to see these..but he has to show them to me...I made copies...I figured you could use these..."said Gary...

"Thanks man.."I said..

"Cop to Cop..We both used to be on the job!" said Gary...
''What yall want with me?" said Sea Biscuit , who seemed more relaxed now that he knew he wasn't being arrested..
''We just want your version on what happened that night..."said Beverly..
"You and Nelson are married huh?" asked Sea Biscuit...

"Yes.."said Beverly...

''I aint surprised...The way he used to stare at you every time you walked by, back when yall two was Public defenders...I knew he had a thing for you..He wouldn't admit it.."laughed Sea Biscuit...
"I wouldn't admit it to you...You were her client and you had a blabber mouth, you would have told her.."laughed Nelson...

We ordered drinks and we talked...Sea Biscuits story was no different than everybody else's... I was afraid Judge Reynold's might do some time for Manslaughter...

A shame to end such a sterling career over some punk like Campbell, who by all accounts had a reckoning coming...
"Mr.Jones...I have to ask you...You and Campbell had history...He was sleeping with your wife before...He caused the break up of your marriage...You didn't like him did you?" I asked..

"I DESPISED HIM!!!! HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED!!" spat Sea Biscuit, who's entire demeanor changed...
Gary looked at me...
I looked at him and said no more...






III-

Back at our home.... It was night time....Surprisingly...
Josie was waiting for us...

"There were no calls...I looked up a few more precedents...I don't know if it will help us or not.."said Josie..


"Probably won't....but thanks anyway Jo..." said Olivia...


 "I'm going home tonight....I miss sleeping in my own bed...I'll see you guys in the morning.." said Josie..
"I'll run you home Jo...You wanna ride with me Honey bunch?" asked Nelson...

''Sure...Let's stop by Jake's get a hot dog ,after we drop Josie off.."said Beverly...

''See you guys later.." she said as the three of them left..

''See you tomorrow Josie.." said Olivia..

Once they were gone I pulled Olivia to me..We kissed softly...

"Damn, you were wearing this skirt the night I first met you...So soft, so sheer, I could almost see your panties underneath it.."I said..
''You could not..but you were wishing you could.." she said and smiled ..
We continued kissing passionately...

Olivia and I had moved into the kitchen, where we continued kissing...


"You are driving me crazy..You always have....You always do.." I said..


"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....That's a good thing..Isn't it?" said Olivia, smiling ,in between hot smouldering kisses...



"Yes..."I said....I slowly opened her blouse....she was wearing a green and pink floral bra...



She smiled shyly..



"You like?" she said.

"Yessssssssssssss..." I said smiling...

"Of course you do." she said smiling...


I turned her around and unzippered my trousers....I ran my hands up her sheer yellow dress and I slipped the green thong down she was wearing

"Ummmmm,I like these even better..." I whispered...

"No surprise there..." she whispered in my ear and giggled......


 and continued squeezing her breasts gently and kissing her neck..

"Ummmmmm, this feels so good..."I moaned..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Donnie Ray...Yes it does...Yes it does....Oh my god.." she moaned..

"I can't keep my hands off of you."I moaned..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuu...you're good and hard..." she said...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..I am indeed!" I moaned..

I bent her over the small kitchen table,lifted her dress up partially and softly entered her...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.." I moaned..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she softly moaned as I moved in and out of her...and softly ran my hands through her hair....

She was soft and very wet.....I was delirious....

"Ummmmmm, this feels so good..."I moaned..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Donnie Ray..ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god.......Oh My Godddd!Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....boy ,you are showing off!!" she moaned..

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph" was all I could manage to muster...I was feeling so good.

 "Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..You are sooooo badddd! Ouuuuuuuuu!" she softly moaned as I moved in and out of her...and softly ran my hands through her hair....

I had her bent her over the table and was stroking her from behind at this point, slowly...She was pounding her hands on the table...and turning her head from side to side..

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmph.."I moaned..

"Oh my godddddddddd!...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" she squealed... TWO HOURS passed by too quickly...

Olivia had this intense orgasm , right in front of me...Sweating and crying at the same time....

I came so hard...I almost lost my balance...

We fixed our clothes...
"I think we'd better go upstairs..." Olivia whispered to me..
I straightened my clothes....I was out of breath..

"I think that's a good idea..." I said..
"Just so you know....This is the same dress I was wearing the night we first met..." said Olivia..
''Damn, I thought soo.."I said..
"You obviously had the same reaction...and I got the same results..." she said and smiled...


We both looked at each other and laughed...We held hands and locked the office up and walked up the stairs to our floor...
Beverly was returning just then....

"Hey guys...Gary Lockwood called our work phone...I had it in my purse by accident...He wants you to meet him at the Medical Examiners Office in the morning Donnie Ray.." she said..

"Hmmmm, something new must have come up..." I said.."Thanks Shortcake..." I said...
Nelson was on the stairwell behind her...

"This case just gets murkier and murkier..." he said..

''Doesn't it though?" said Olivia..


IV-
The Next Morning...I arrived at The Medical Examiner's office...

''Donnie Ray...Thanks for coming.."said Gary Lockwood, who passed me a tumbler of hot coffee..

"Thanks for calling me man..."I said..

"I thought you'd want to hear this..." he said.
"Hi Donnie Ray, Gary...Come here....You both need to see this.."said Dr. Hazel Baylor..

Hazel led us into the lab...and showed us x-rays...X Rays of Carlton Campbell's skull...

"At first I thought he died of injuries sustained in the fist fight...but upon further examination...He had a fractured skull...caused by a blunt instrument.."said Hazel...

"Maybe he hit his head on something when he fell..."said Gary Lockwood..

"That's what I thought...but he didn't...We surveyed the area...There is nothing he could have hit his head on.....and this injury is to the back of his head..." said Hazel..  "And not by a human fist!!" she added..

"But the Judge didn't hit him with anything...This had to be administered after the fight, just moments after the Judge and his wife left the scene"I said..

''So this isn't manslaughter.....This is MURDER!" said Gary....
''That's exactly what I'm saying and if the Judge had left as everybody says....Then somebody else struck him, while he was on the ground, dazed from the fight!! I'm ruling this a homicide!!" said Hazel...

Hazel had opened up a whole new can of worms...Here nearly everybody assumed Judge Reynolds had beaten this man to death....

And now his death was being upgraded to murder!!!  Somebody else had landed the death blow, but who????

(CONCLUSION NEXT!!) 



4 comments:

Toni said...

I don't think it's going out on too much of a limb to say...I think Sea biscuit Did it!

Angie B. said...

He has motive...The man did sleep with his wife.

Sunflower said...

He was standing out there alone with him after everybody left...He had opportunity!

George S. said...

Listen to my little attorneys!LOL!