Thursday, November 26, 2009

Jive Turkey


"Hi Mistah Kevin...What are you doin around here so late?" Said Lucy Dallas as I walked toward her.

"I was coming to see you..I need your help." I said.

"Is that your girlfriend Mr. Kevin?" she asked.

"That's my wife, Sepia." I replied.

She gave me the thumbs up..."Nice job...She way outta your league, but you must be doing something right." she replied. I didn't have time to be insulted..I needed her help, so I let that remark slide.

"This is my sister, Lynda...you kinda met her the other day." laughed Lucy, alluding to the sounds coming from her bedroom window. The other girl didn't speak, she just kind of gave us both the side eye.

"Look Lucy...Your mother is about to toss out some stained bedsheets, I need them..I need you to get em for me." I said.

"Stained sheets? That guy must have come over here again...." she remarked rather matter of factly.

"Guy? You mean you know who it is that is seeing your mom?" I replied incredulously.

"I don't know who he is...but I know he makes a mess everytime he over here...Shoots his wad all over the place....Mama always have to throw the sheets out." she said.

"What is going on here?" I asked.

'Come on Mister Kevin...you KNOW what is goin on here...My Mom and my sister are in buisness... My Mom was an exotic dancer or well, stripper...I followed her into it for awhile,but it just wasn't my thing...but my sister followed her into it and then followed her a step further into the "pleasuring business." she said.

"What?" I exclaimed.

"We worked straight jobs for years..Someone was always threatening to cut off our electric, cut off our gas, cut off our phone...evict us....My daddy was out hustlin and got his self killed and what was we gonna do? Huh...Don't judge us Mister Kevin, not til you been in our shoes...We pay our bills on time, We can eat and we aint hurtin nobody..." she said.

"Okay,Okay...look..I don't care about what you, your sister and your mother are doing...but I think the killer of your two classmates just visited her..and I need those wet bedsheets...That may be the only way to catch him." I said.
"Yeah? wow,isn't that a kick...he comin over here, messin up mama's sheets and here he might have been screwin a teen aged girl too...what a horndog..." she exclaimed.
"Yeah...that's about the size of it." I said.

"So Ramon is innocent?" she said.

"I'm pretty sure he is." I said.

"I'm glad...I like Ramon...Maybe he'll give me some of his time." she said without the faintest bit of shame. Ramon was a good kid, as probably, the slain Cross Rivers was. Both boys deserved better than either of these girls I thought to myself.

"Oh and Lucy..You said you saw Renee being driven home late at night in a car right? What kind of car was it, you remember?" I asked.

"Yeah...it was a dark green Cutlass...an old school car." she said.

"Did you ever see who was driving it?" I asked.

"Nope...Never got a good look...Since it was so old, I just assumed it was Cross River's that was driving her home." she said.

''Well ,it wasn't..He couldn't drive and he didn't own a car."I said.

"Ohhh snap, this gets deeper and deeper." she laughed.

"Yeah,it does...now could you get me those bed sheets?" I asked.

"Oh yeah,yeah..sure thing Mister Kevin." she said and with that, she and her sister went into the house. Sepia just laughed and shook her head...I looked at my wife and winked.



Sam Mother's Diner is down the street from the Criminal Investigation Divison building. It is Philadelphia's best kept secret...They make the best sandwiches in the city for my money. A week later, Lt.Sissy Van Buren and I were enjoying some of their delicious sandwiches and a couple of tumblers of coffee.

"What you got there Kevin?" she asked.

"A Turkey and swiss, with lettuce,tomatoes and mayo on Jewish Rye."I replied.

"Oh I'm getting a Reuben. I gotta tell you Kevin, when you brought me those bedsheets loaded with semen, I was convinced you had lost your mind...but they were a godsend....and the DNA was a complete match for what was found in Renee Jefferson's body." she said.

"Yeah...so that means we got Principal Harkins in a box right?" I said.

"We got him for Statutory rape...but not murder...That just means he had sex with her..it doesn't mean he killed her and it doesn't put him in for Cross Rivers." she said.

"Okay Sissy...get a warrant for his car...I'll get you the rest that you need." I said.

"Kevin...don't-" she said.

"Relax....the man likes talking to me." I laughed as we continued eating.

I strode into the office without knocking just in time to hear Principal Harkins putting down a line to a very pretty young teaching assistant.

"So hey pretty mama, what has a guy like me got to do to get next to a fine young thing like yourself?" he laughed.

"I'd say thank the lady for her time and for not laughing in your face at those tired lines from the 70's." I snickered as he turned around startled and the young woman hurried out of his office.

Needless to say...Harry Harkins turned towards me in an angry rage.

"YOU AGAIN? I'M GONNA TEACH YOU A LESSON,ONCE AND FOR ALL." he snarled.

"Like the one you taught Cross Rivers? He found out about you and Renee Jefferson, didn't he?

So he had to go....and then Renee was telling everybody that she was pregnant...and you couldn't have that getting out could you? That you impregnanted one of your students?? You could go to jail, lose your job.....be disgraced...so both of them had to go, didn't they? You know what the funny thing was? She wasn't pregnant..She was just saying that to blackmail you. Cross Rivers knew the whole deal...You should have let him live..You killed that boy for nothing." I said.

"You can't prove a damn thing...not a gotdamned thing. Ya Jive Turkey!" he said.

"You know...Mrs. Dallas told you that you should have used a condom the other week...You left quite a bit of DNA on her sheets....It was a perfect match for the semen found in the body of Renee Jefferson....and I have an eye witness that will testify that they saw you bringing her home late at night on numerous occassions in your Cutless...The same Cutlass I saw you in at the Dallas house the other night. You know...Mrs. Dallas was right...a guy like you, really should use a condom....It's a wonder you have any bedsheets at your house." I said. This seemed to infuriate him even more.

"Think you're smart huh? You can't prove nothin.... Yeah, I did em both and for the reason you said...I couldn't have it gettin out...but lawd...you seen her..that was a fine young thing and she was hot stuff in bed too..I'm gonna miss her...I used to pull her in this ofice and shut the door and close the blinds and we would go to town right over there on the couch...Her skin was soo soft, her breasts so large, so firm...and she was experienced too...made love like a pro.."He said as he pulled a gun out of his drawer and aimed it at me. "And you aint gonna live long enough to repeat none of that." He said.

"Put that gun down Mr. Harkins...it's all over." came a voice in the hallway. It was Lt.Sissy Van Buren and five Philadelphia Policemen. Boy was I glad to see her.


"You got it Kevin?" She said.
"Every word....Surprise Harkins..I was wearing a wire....You were easier to catch than most. You were so sure, so smug..I like the smug ones like you...you fall so hard." I sneered.

"We got a warrant and searched your car and your home and guess what we found? a huge belt that matches the marks on both Cross Rivers's and Renee Jefferson's necks..and a bloody baseball bat wrapped in cloth, that I bet will reveal blood and brain tissue from Cross River's bashed in head.....At any rate, you're under arrest for both murders Mr. Harkins." she said.

He put the pistol on the table and an officer handcuffed him...He looked at me with disdain as he was led out of the school in handcuffs. "Jive Ass Turkey" He said, getting in one last dig.

Lt.Sissy Van Buren looked at me and winked-

"Nice seeing you again Kevin....The next time we meet, lunch is on me." she said as she left the school.

Cock Robbins walked up to me, laughing and patting me on the back...

"Man, you did it again.... Cracked another case....I'm tellin you Kevin, let me write a screenplay
and see if I got some director friends of mine and I'm sure we could put together a big deal...and we could do a movie of your life..we'd make a killin. Make a pile of money."he said.

I just laughed..."Whatever Cock...whatever" and got in my car and drove away.

I drove past Lucy Dallas's house... I rolled down my windows...I heard the bed springs squeaking in the front room very clearly....

"Ohhhhhhhh, ohhhhhhh gawddddd, ohhhhh my lord.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...it's so damnnn goodd babyyy...ohhhhhhhhhh....you hittin my spots...ohhhhhhhh." came the sounds of a woman.
I didn't know if this was an act or if it really was that good to her....

In the back of the house...I could hear more loud noises....This time it was a man...

'Awww suck it...ouuuuuuu,oh baby, you do that sooo good,ohhhhhhh...awwwwwwwww..." came the sounds... It sounded as if both mother and daughter was busy...I drove on down the street and I saw Lucy Dallas getting into a car with a much older man and driving off into the afternoon.

I felt a sadness come over me at the thought of what these three had reduced themselves to with the false notion of surviving. I finnally wound up at Josie's and sat down to have a beer. I looked up and to my surprise...My wife,Sepia sat down next to me.

"Your case is over babes?" she said.

"Yeah, They got Harkins for both murders." I said.

"That's good.. now, buy me a drink." she demanded.

"Buy you a drink? Yeah? If I do, does this mean it might lead to something?" I joked.

"It could....Why? You feelin lucky tonight?" she laughed.

I put my arms around her waist and kissed her on the cheek..She giggled like a school girl..and for now, for me at least...that was the only remnant of a school girl that I wanted to think about.

(For Iman)

2 comments:

SLC said...

Yeah I should be cooking but....
Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family, and the that jive turkey principal. I pray his cell mates will knock him out of this '70's time warp.

Here's wishing you Love, Peace, and Sooooouuuuullllll

SincerelyGo said...

ahhh I miss these stories. I'm kinda on a better schedule with my blog reading expect me around more ofter. Kevin you are a great writer!!!

Sincerely,

Go