Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Another One of His Lives


When I got to the Hospital...Only Gus, the bartender from Josies was there. Sean, Clerow and I walked in...Gus turned and looked at us grimly ,he shook his head...

"This guy got shot six times tonight and he's still alive....Ah caint believe it...Took two to the dome a few years back and he survived that....They just can't kill this fool......Ah told him about shootin off his big mouf about that money...Now you got people gunnin for you..ya damn fool." said Gus.

"Gus..Gus...it aint like I'm walkin round with that much cash on me...them killin me aint gonna lead em to it.Nah this bout somethin else...thas why ah called Kevin here." said Kool Kat , who was sitting up , and had one leg in a cast...

'What happened to you Kool Kat?" I asked. Gus looked at me like I was crazy and said-

''What Happened to him?, can't you see...somebody tried to kill him."

"I was wearing a kevlar vest Kev....but I got hit in my leg with the one shot....but it's kool...word on the street is that I survived six shots....My rep gon be powerful now..." laughed Kool Kat.

"Yeah man, it is.....What did you call me down here for?" I asked.

"Kev, I want you to get them two guys what shot me......They was driving a Black 2009 Thunderbird with the top down... I got off a couple of shots before I finnally fell in the street..tore they car up..and I hit one of em, cause I heard him yelp...like a little girl when he got hit." laughed Kool Kat.

"Man, where do I even begin?" I said.

"I knows the guys...One's name is Thomas "Lightfoot " Jefferson and the other one, the one I hit
is Alan "Sandblast" Johnson. Now they gon still be ridin around in that shot up car ,because they aint got sense enough to ditch it...and they prolly aint been paid yet, so they gon be layin low in
Southwest Philly....probably tryin to find a Doctor to stitch him up." said Kool Kat.

"Well there is only one Doctor , who I know will do that kind of job.....Arnold "Jackleg" Carnes."
said Gus.

"Who?" said Sean, Clerow and I in unison.

"Dr. Carnes lost his licensce years ago ,because he took to drinkin too much...I oughta know..I tossed him out of Josie's many a night, when he was practicin....Now...he takes care of the underworld or anybody that aint got Health Insurance that is willin to pay his fee..." said Gus.

"Damn Gus..Is there anybody in Philadelphia you don't know?" I asked.

"Not too many....You stake out his place...you're bound to find those two shooters....but be careful Kevin...Gettin involved in Kool Kat's mess is one sure way to bring on a world of un wanted trouble....And you ,unlike him may not have nine lives." said Gus.

"I know....Hopefully I won't need but this one." I said , As Sean, Clerow and I left. I pulled out my Blackberry and made two phone calls...Then got in Sean's car and drove into Southwest Philly and directly across the street from a ratty row home.

"This the place boss?" asked Clerow...

"Yeah...this is it...That must be the good doctor's office." I said, loading my trusty .45 and watching Clerow load and adjust his.

"Sean...keep the motor running...We may be coming out fast." I said.

Just then, as if on cue...A tan 2009 Thunderbird, with bullet holes in the side drove up....It seemed as if the two men sat in the car for an inordinate amount of time....Then the front door to the house opened and an old grey haired Black man, whose skin was the color of a brown paper bag emerged and walked toward the car. He looked around and then motioned the hurt gangster
into the house... His arm was wrapped in towells and he was bleeding profusely...The other man
sat behind the wheel....Just what I wanted.

I walked in front of the car, which made the driver,Thomas "Lightfoot "Jefferson open his door-

"Hey Player, where you going?" he said.

"He goin inside and you sittin right here with me" said Clerow who was holding a .45 to the back
of the man's head.

I smiled and kept walking inside of the Doctor's study....

'Stitch him up good Doc and then turn him over to me." I said pointing my .45 at both Dr. Arnold
"Jackleg" Carnes and the wounded Alan "Sandblast" Johnson..

"Who are you?" They both said in unison.

"A friend of a friend." I said...

Lt. Sissy Van Buren, Two Detectives and Two Uniformed Policemen arrived shortly thereafter.
They Took Lightfoot Jefferson off of Clerow's hands and took "Sandblast" off of my hands.. "Jackleg " Carnes got off scott free.

These two guys were not only driving the car described in the shooting, but they still had the guns used in the shooting.. In custody they would admit nothing....When asked who hired them,
they said they didn't know...that they were hired by someone they didn't know who showed and promised them a lot of money. I didn't believe them..but I knew nothing more was going to be gotten from them.

The important thing was...I had avenged Kool Kat's shooting. I went back to the Hospital to see Kool Kat.

"I knew you'd get em Kev....." he laughed....

"They wouldn't say who hired them." I said.

"They didn't have to....I know who it was...Ernie Lubbers." said Kool Kat.

''Ernie Lubbers? I thought you ran him out of town?" I asked.

"Well Kev, aint nobody gon stay away forever." said Kool Kat.

(To Be Continued.....)

1 comment:

Sean said...

Interesting!