Thursday, November 14, 2013

All Fall Down

I was sitting in Josies , a day later....Having a beer....Gus walked over to me...

"Hey kid...where you been?" he asked.

''You know me Gus...If I'm not working one end...I'm working another." I said.

"I hear your company is about to purchase a cable TV station...." he said.

"Wow Gus...No grass grows under your feet either....We already have purchased it...It may go live in a few months..." I said.

"If it's as good as your radio feed...You got my permission to run it in here..." he said,smiling...

"Thanks man.." I said.

"So what else you been up to?" he asked.

"Keeping tabs on a William Lundy." I said.

Gus looked at me funny...

"I remember him...I hated that bastard...He was a cop at one time...Hated negroes...always beatin somebody up...Beat up a minister and they finally canned him...What business you got with him?" he asked.

"Well, he tried to kidnap my client...and he tried to kill me...Which bought him two days in the hospital...Concussion...Now he's a chief suspect in a double homicide."I said.

Gus smiled...

"He's supposed to be like you...a P.I." said Gus.

"He is...but he's dirty...He's muscle for Angel Ortega."

"Really?  Boy Kid, you really get in bed with some nasty ones dont'cha?" he said.

"Don't put it like that Gus."I laughed...

Just then, I felt a presence behind me... I turned around and saw the big man...Walter "Kool Kat" Jones standing behind me..

"I heard that you've been busy on these streets bruh...Maybe you could use a little help!" he said.

''Gus, give the big man whatever he wants...on my tab." I said.

"Henny on the rocks Gus...Thanks!" said Kool Kat.

"As a matter of fact Kools...I can use your help... Tonight..."I said.

"What's up?" he said.

"Get in contact with Fathead..I'm going to need his safehouse...Call me when you hear from him..."I said..

"Hey ,where are you off to?" he asked...

"Gotta see a girl about something." I said.

Kool Kat and Gus looked at each other and smiled... Honey Brown stared at me..

"You are always off somewhere." she said.

"You know me...On the move baby."I said.

II-
Once again, I stood on the rooftop of the CID building with Lt. Sissy Van Buren... I passed her a tumbler of coffee...

"Did you uh get my care package?" I asked.

"Oh yeah...ADA Wallace is writing warrants for Albert Graves and William Lundy now for first degree murder and conspiracy....Maybe...just maybe we can flip one of them and get them to testify against Ortega.."she said.

"If you hold off...I can give you Ortega...and you won't have to make any deals with either of them..All three of these rats will be off the streets..."I said.

Sissy smiled at me...

"Chica, Rico,Duke ,Jimmy and Hazel told me what you said and I ran it by Keith..." she said.

"And?" I said.

"He said that we'll back off....And that if you can't deliver, we can still grab those two..." she said smiling.

"Great..."I said.

"So...What else did you come here for?" she said.

"Uhhh...Tonight...a friend and I are going to put Eddie C. and that girl, Renee in our protective custody..."I said.

''He's been hiding her?"she asked..

''Yeah...She came to him for help when she found out that Graves and Ortega were out to silence her...That's why he was there that night in front of the restaurant....But this guy Lundy is good...He used to be a cop...He may find out about Eddie C. and go after him...He's already killed two people..I want to make sure that they both are safe."I said.

"How come he couldn't come to me?  I'm the Lieutenant of Homicide?" she asked...

"That old street mentality...He wanted to handle it himself...You know how corner boys...even ex-corner boys like him are...But I just want you to know that, he wasn't cheating on you...Not at anytime...He's just trying to help a friend....and I'm telling you this as a friend."I said.

"You are soooo sweet Kevin...Your wife is sooo lucky...I believe you....and I trust you...I just wish that Eddie C. had trusted me enough to confide in me...but it's cool...I'll trust you to handle this right." she said.

"Sissy ,we are this close to cracking a double homicide and a cold case.." I said.

She hugged me and kissed me on the cheek.....

I held her and smiled at her...

Neither of us had to say anything..We perfectly understood each other...

III-
Eddie C. was surprised when Kool Kat and I drove up to his house....

He didn't argue...we drove them to Fathead's safehouse... Kool Kat walked Renee up to the safehouse...
I hung back with Eddie C.

"Hey look man..I squared things with Sissy for you....I think you're good...There is a clean phone in this safehouse.. Use it...Call Sissy tonight....If she means anything to you at all...Talk to her...and remember, you can not tell her where you are."I said.

"Thanks man...I just wanted to feel like I could handle somethin by myself..." he said.

"I know man...I explained that to her....I think she gets it...but she needs to hear from you..."I said.

"You care about her a lot don't you?" he asked.

"She's like a big sister to me...She's helped me out of a lot of jams..."I said.

"I understand...I'll call her. Thanks man" he said.

IV-

By now...Lundy and Albert Graves must have been going crazy.....Everybody they were looking for was missing...Judging by another live feed I heard ,I was proven to be right...

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T FIND ANYBODY??  I PAY YOU TO DO A JOB...MAYBE I SHOULD HIRE SOMEONE ELSE?"

"It's weird...The babe ,Cindy Lyons is missing...I've turned this city upside down...nobody has seen or heard from her.... Renee has been missing and the guy...the do gooder who fought with Bobby and Vinnie is missing too...They all just vanished into thin air."

"The cops must have em or the federalis!!"

"Nah...Nah..If they did...You'd be in jail right now...Nah, they're scared and they're hiding...It's Bobby and Vinnie's fault...Their knucklehead play to gain points tipped their hand....now they've run off."

"Yeah well Ortega is breathing down my back...I fear he'll kill me if they aren't found and eliminated soon"

"Don't worry....I was a homicide cop for years...I'll find em...I think I know who might be behind their disapearence or at least know something." he said.

"I had a run in with another guy a few days ago...He was at Minks asking Cindy questions..."

"Who is he?"

''He's another private detective....He's tight with ADA Keith Wallace...His name is Kevin Morris...He hangs out in Josies..."

"Find him....find out what he knows...If he knows too much, kill him..."

"Exactly what I plan to do."

"Alright...get it done and call me or text me with some good news."

"I'm on it."

(Click)

I looked at Sean Jackson, Peeping Tom and Lockpick Johnson...

"What is your next move Kev?" they asked.

"I don't want him looking for me too long...I'll go to him." I smiled.

V-
The silent alarm in the office of Private Investigator, William Lundy went off .....and within a half an hour...like clockwork...There he was charging through the door, gun drawn and light flicked on!!!

I was sitting at his desk with my feet propped up.....There was a half eaten ham sandwich to my right and a cold cup of black coffee to my left...

"You know you ought to tidy up a bit in here....This place could be a fire hazard." I said.

He went to lunge at me, but this time ,I pulled my .38 smokeless out and aimed it at him...

"Now let's not go there pally...Last time you and me tangled...You wound up in the hospital."I said.

"What do you want?" he snarled..

At this point, Kool Kat stepped out of the shadows and aimed his .44 magnum at his head...

''You killer.!!!..You killed Vinnie and Bobby on orders from Graves...I know you did....Just tell me why." I said.

He was silent...Kool Kat cocked his gun...

"That aint a request buddy." he snarled..

"Graves lied under oath at Ortega's arraignment three years ago...Said that he was with him, drinking at some bar...Ortega murdered a bookkeeper..There was no physical proof , no eyewitnesses, willing to talk...and with an alibi...The cops had to drop the charges...While Graves was in prison for something else, he blabbed
about what he did for Ortega while having his teeth worked on...Vinnie Spano was in the dentist office in the prison at the time and heard the whole thing....He couldn't wait to get out of prison and tell Ortega all about it..Ortega was going to have Graves killed, but Graves said he'd take care of it." he said.

"By taking care of it...He meant having you get rid of the girl right?" I said.

"Yeah,only those two nuts tried to snatch the girl themselves....which messed everything up." he snarled..

"So you took care of everything else..??" I said.

"Yup."he said and pushed Kool Kat out of the way and slammed the door, which locked us in...

"I'll burn this place down you bastards.." he said...We heard him striking a match and lighting a fire...Then we heard the sound of a something metal and a struggle...

"AWWWWWWW DAMNIT..MY FOOT IS STUCK....AWWW! OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" came screams....We heard a scream and then the sound of a body falling down the stairs...and a loud crash!....

"Kool Kat...shoot the door." I said.

The big man shot the lock on the door and we both kicked the door open...

I took a fire extinguisher and put the small fire out....Kool Kat and I ran down the steps and there lying on the sidewalk was William Lundy!!!!

He had gotten his foot stuck in the wash bucket and tried to kick it off and had slipped and fell down the steps and crashed through the door....He had broken his neck....He was dead!!!

"Damn Kev...He's dead!" said Kool Kat....

"Yeah..he is...but uh...we were in his office days ago...Everything he said and did is on video...I'm going to send this to the police...It'll clear the double murder and give them Ortega..."I said.

Kool Kat laughed...

"So we are in the clear huh?" he said.

"Yeah."I said.

He smiled...

"You think of everything." he said laughing...

(CONCLUSION NEXT)

8 comments:

Tate 2 said...

I laughed until I cried...What a way to go...Can't believe this cold blooded killer died in such an embarrassing way~!

Angie B. said...

The ending was too damn funny!

Toni said...

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!

James Perkins said...

The last paragraph had me splitting my sides...

Sunflower said...

Incredibly funny without being very violent...The scenes between Kevin and Sissy remain very touching.

Halo said...

I agree,The scenes between Kevin and Sissy remain very touching.. They obviously love each other very much and I think it goes a little beyond friendship!

Vanessa said...

The ending had me spitting out my soda! That was funny!

Lisa said...

Another good installment, I can't wait for the conclusion!