Friday, November 22, 2013

Tears Of A Clown

I wanted no chance of this investigation being further compromised...So I sent word to everybody to meet me in The U.S. Courthouse in one of our courtroom...
Sissy, my wife, Detective Carlotta Wallace, Detectives Tyriq Pile, Jimmy Barlow, Edwin "Duke" Baylor, Sirena Pile and Tony Hopkins joined me along with Forensic Investigator, Dr.Hazel Hunter-Baylor and FBI Special Agent, Sharon Hopkins...Me, I'm Assistant District Attorney, Keith Wallace...

Sissy, Lt. Sissy Van Buren was the boss...So she convened the meeting... I looked around at the detectives and they all looked happy...Something I hadn't seen from any of them in days...


"Okay guys....what have you got?" asked Sissy...

"We had an amazing day Boss Lady...We found three of the stores where the GPS's and electronic equipment was purchased." said my wife, Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace.

"He got sloppy...He used a credit card to purchase the GPS units, the bugging equipment used in your office, the police radio, probably being used in his car and a device which can jam signals...The very device that Sharon told us about...We got credit card receipts with his name on it...All items purchased within a few weeks before the murders began." said Tyriq.

"And even better than that...We got video from all three stores of him making the purchase...and in one, he's wearing a work suit that resembles the grainy video we have from the Jordan Murder scene." said Jimmy....
"Outstanding..." said Sissy....

"We got lucky on our first go around..Hop and I went to that Walmart out on Deleware Avenue and we got a credit card reciept from Mr. Beavers for the purchase of bleach, rope, three knives that match the type of knife, Hazel told us was used to slash the throats of our victims..." said Sirena.
"And Like Carlotta, Tyriq and Jimmy...We have store video of him purchasing all of these items...Pretty weird stuff for a reporter to be purchasing.." said Hop....
"Is that enough for a warrant counselor?" asked Sissy....  I smiled...
"It sure is... I'm going to start writing a search warrant right now." I said.

"Our boy really got careless with the murder of the pizza delivery guy." laughed Duke...
''We have  video of him, clear video of him from the parking lot, entering the building with a pizza that night...In the same work suit in the other video...We didn't think to look at the other camera...and he must not have been aware that it was there..." said Sharon.
"Sissy...Call him...Tell him you'll go out to lunch with him...Put a tail on him.....The rest of you....I'll have the search warrant within minutes... Hit his house and try to find us that stuff...Here is a list. You guys did great work...You never gave up, you kept digging..If I committed a crime...I would not want any of you after me." I said.

Everybody high fived each other...They deserved to be happy...This had been a brutal and seemingly baffling case, that in the hand of lesser investigators, would have gone cold...
Amidst the celebration...Carlotta walked over to me and whispered in my ear...

"You know...When you operate with such authority...it makes me very, very horny...." she said.

My eyebrows raised...

"Does it now?" I asked.

Carlotta didn't crack a smile...

"If I had the time, I'd drag you into one of these empty courtrooms and ..." she said..

"Well look...Let them go ,tell them you'll stay behind to handle logistics or something." I said.

She smiled...

"I can't do that papi...Tonight....I'll take care of you...I promise" she said and gave me a light kiss on the lips....I was so turned on...I had to sit down, to get myself together... I stayed seated as they all cleared out...

II-
Carlotta, Duke, Tyriq and Jimmy entered the front of the complex with ten uniformed policemen...

Lt. Ed Cantrell agreed to pinch hit....and with Detectives Sirena Pile and Tony Hopkins, he entered the back of the complex with five uniformed policemen..


It didn't take them long to find what they were looking for.....

"Jackpot....Here are the knives...just like Hazel said...There's blood on two of em...He hadn't cleaned them off yet...bag em and tag em Hop." said Jimmy...

"Look, here is that work suit....it's got blood splatter on it." said Carlotta...

"And look, bloody sneakers....a size 13." said Sirena..
"This is too good to be true...But this is the jammer...The machine that jammed the video camera's signal.." said Tyriq.
"Damn, you guys got a box load of evidence.." said Lt. Cantrell...

"Yeah, let's get this stuff to Hazel.." said Duke.

III-


"Damnnn Lt. Van Buren, you are one hot chick." said Richard Beavers as he and Sissy sat in a very tony bistro and waited for their food.

''Is hot your favorite word?  I notice that you use it quite a bit." she said and smiled.

"I uh ,I uh imagine I do...but you are something...I'm really surprised that nobody has snatched you up like the other women in your unit.." he said.

"I have a boyfriend..." she said.

"Yeah, well he'd better step up to the plate and take you off the market...I imagine a lot of men hit on you." he said.

"Like you?" she said.

He smiled...

"Yeah, like me.." he said..

Their food arrived  and they began eating... A bottle of champaigne arrived also...Sissy's eyes got as large as saucers....

"Wow!" she said.

"Nobody has ever treated you like this before huh?   You deserve it...You're a beautiful woman." he said.

Sissy found herself blushing...She didn't want to...but she was...He noticed it...

"I hope you don't take offense to this, but are you of mixed racial heritage?" he asked.

"My Father is white.. My mother , who is now deceased was African-American." she said.

He smiled...

"I thought so...." he said.

"Is that a problem?" she asked.

"No...No.. You're just like the President.. Look, I love Black women..."he said.

"You love women period." said Sissy..

"Yeah, I guess I do..but you, I really like.." he said.

"You don't know me.." said Sissy...

"I know more than you think...and I like what I see." he said and smiled...

"You loved Stella Jordan didn't you?  You lied to us about knowing her and Jett Skyler, but you did know them didn't you?" asked Sissy.

"Ahhhhh, now you're in cop mode...Yeah I knew them..." he said laughing...

''She humiliated you and she lied to you and you never got over it...That scarred you so bad that even when you were in the police academy, you couldn't shake it...They washed you out because of that." said Sissy.

"You're a good cop Lt.Sissy...You guys knew more than I gave you credit." he said.

"Well if you're going to get to know me, we might as well put all our cards on the table." said Sissy...

"So you're going to get to know me ?" he said looking hopeful.

"I already know enough about you...I think you killed Stella Jordan, Jett Skylar, Peg and that poor innocent pizza delivery boy." said Sissy still smiling...

He laughed...

"Oh you do huh?   Well, you nor your detectives can prove it....and I figure you're wearing a wire thinking you're going to get a confession out of me since you have nothing else...but that is not going to happen." he smirked...

"I didn't figure it would...You're much too smart for us...You out smarted my best detectives...humiliated us...We may never solve this case." said Sissy...

"Oh well, sometimes it's just like that.....Now...enough shop talk ..What about me and you baby?" he said.

"What about us? This is just lunch...I told you, I have a boyfriend..." she said.

"If he was that important to you, you wouldn't be here." said Beavers..

Just then, Sissy's phone rang...she listened and she smiled...

"Good...Great." she said.

He looked puzzled...

Sissy smiled..

"Well I hate to eat and run, but I have to go....Thanks for the lunch." she said.

"Heyyyyy wait a minute...how are you just going to get up and run like that?" he said.

"Oh it's not me...It's YOU!  You're going to jail." said Sissy...

He looked around him...Tyriq and Duke pulled him out of his chair...Hop handcuffed him and Carlotta read him his rights as Sirena, Jimmy and Sharon looked on...

"Under Arrest? You got nothing....You have no proof!!" he protested...



"If we really had nothing ,do you think I'd be here?  I think you better call a lawyer and find out just how much evidence I have against you." I said.

"This is bullshit!! You guys are frontin, you got nothing...nothing!!!" he screamed...

Three beefy uniformed policemen came and dragged him out, kicking and screaming...


"Wow!  Four murders closed...Great job....Chica, Sirena, Rico, Duke ,Jimmy, Hop...Take a few days off, you guys earned it...I'm going to ask Doc Gibbons and Frank Cotton to give Hazel and you off too Sharon." said Sissy.

"Awww thanks Lou...Thanks Boss Lady!" they said in unison...


"Heyyyy What about me?" I asked in jest....

"I'll call the Mayor." laughed Sissy..
I howled with laughter.....

"Hey Boss Lady...How was lunch?" asked Carlotta smiling and giving Sissy the side eye..

"Believe it not...It wasn't bad...He's no cheap skate...He ordered expensive champaigne...The food was great...and if he wasn't a deranged serial killer, he wouldn't have been such a bad guy..."said Sissy.
''Seriously Boss Lady?" asked Sirena..laughing.

"I'm serious...Nobody is all bad." laughed Sissy...


''So Should Eddie C. be concerned?"  asked Carlotta with a slight grin..

"Come on Chica...Let's not be ridiculous." laughed Sissy.

Sirena, Sharon, Carlotta ,Tyriq, Duke, Jimmy  Hop and I all laughed heartily along with Sissy.

EPILOUGE:


Richard Beavers was convicted on four counts of first degree murder and sentenced to die by lethal injection...He was completely surprised that we had caught him...He honestly believed that he had outsmarted us...For a minute ,it looked like he had.

Carlotta and I stood in our living room kissing...she had kicked off her high heels and I had taken off my suit jacket and my tie......

"So glad that case is over.." she said.

"I am too...I took a few days off too." I said.

We continued kissing...

"You know.. No matter what kind of case we get, I so love going to work...How many people get to work with their absolute favorite people in the world and the person they love the most?" she asked.

"Not many." I said in between kisses...

 "You know, Beavers was always so cheerful, so cocky...I think beneath it all , he was hiding a lot of pain...."
said my wife Carlotta...

''What made you think of him?" I asked.

"That smirk on his face...I keep seeing it...and behind it...I keep seeing tears....His secret pain.." said Carlotta.

"Like the tears of a clown right?" I said.

"Yeah...when nobody is around." said Carlotta...

"And you say that I get deep after these cases." I said.


We both busted out laughing...

(For SLC)



8 comments:

Toni said...

Another good one Keith!

Angie B. said...

Good story All around!

Sunflower said...

I so love these charactors....Their closeness, Their devotion to each other...

James Perkins said...

Good story, but I didn't see where the title had anything to do with the story...Unless you were just using it as an excuse to use Smokey's classic song at the end.

Lisa said...

Can't believe it's been a year and these guys are not only still together, but have grown as a unit...Love em!

Halo said...

You've got a great group of investigators here...I want to see them really put to the test.

Keith said...

Funny you said that Halo...In the next story they are in.. They will be put to the test...See you in two weeks.

Vanessa said...

Loved this one!