Monday, November 25, 2013

Whiskey Sour

I hadn't been in Philadelphia that long, but I already liked it here.....I was sitting in with Symphony Sam and his "orchestra" as he called it...a loose group of musicians who made up the Josie's House Band that performed when the regulars like Reed Nelson, Bone Hampton, Downtown Rob Brown ,The Liquid Love Band and others were either out of town or not scheduled for the night...

I was the new player in town, A Trumpet player by night....A Private Investigator for a new law firm by day...Me?  My name is Donnie Ray Alexander....I'm new here...
I was playing my butt off tonight...And for a good reason....My sweetie, who is also my landlord and employer was here tonight... Attorney ,Olivia Bennett and Her equally foxy niece, Beverly West...also an Attorney was in attendance...

Apparently they were enjoying my performance.....They were both smiling and clapping as was Gus, who owned the joint and was the chief Bartender...He was down front, clapping and snapping his fingers with the crowd...

Yeah, I could really like this place...This city....
II-

After my set...I walked over to the table where Olivia and Beverly was sitting... Olivia gave me a nice slow juicy kiss in the lips...


"You were fantastic baby." she said.

Bev laughed....

"Of course she's gonna say that."

"You didn't think so?" I asked.

"Yeah..You were good...but I aint gonna kiss you." she said.

''Better not smarty." laughed Olivia, giving her niece a fake side eye and giggling....

"You done for the night?"asked Olivia...

"Yeah, that was our last set...a D.J. is going to take over after the break." I said.

Just then, Barbara Huxley, who was running for Mayor walked in with her daughter and her boyfriend...She was one of Olivia's clients..She was a buxom, handsomely shaped  brown skinned woman with beautiful hazel eyes...Her daughter was nice looking too, but didn't look old enough to be in this bar....She sat next to her mother and her boyfriend quietly.

''Olivia...I didn't expect you to be here....How are you doing?" she said..

''Hi Barbara...Yes...I come here...Not every week...But enough....My handsome man was performing tonight." said Olivia...

Barbara looked at me almost lustfully....She had met me once...

"This is Mr. Alexander....Doesn't he work for you?" she asked...

"Yes...He's our investigator...and you know my niece, Beverly West...She's also an attorney with my firm." said Olivia...

"Pleased to meet you all...This is my daughter Zoey and my man, Charles Tackle...He's an investment banker." she said.

Charles Tackle had a quick smile and a quick handshake...

"Hey,How yall doin." he said as we all sat down again.....

A barmaid came by....

"I'll have a Whiskey Sour.." said Barbara Huxley...

''Me too." said Charles...

"Just a Coke for me." said Zoey...

"Grey Goose and Cranberry Juice." said Bev...

"Just water for me" I said

Olivia and Bev looked at me and laughed....

"What?" I said Innocently.
III-
Everything was  going along just fine... We were drinking, talking about the upcoming campaign and Barbara's impending divorce...Which Olivia was handling for her...When ,speak of the devil...Her soon to be ex-husband, William Huxley saw all of us and came over....

He was a tall, rail thin man, light skinned with a pencil thin moustache...Very well dressed with a great smelling cologne on...Olivia had once represented him too..and trying to ward off any tension...She stood and greeted him...

Considering, I used to be a Homicide detective...I have learned to observe everything about a person...One thing I observed was how nervous and off put young Zoey got when he arrived...

"William...How are you doing?" said Olivia with a smile...

"Cut the crap Liv....I am livid.....Barbara, it's one thing if you hang out half the night...but you've got our daughter out with you and..and...and in a bar! and drinking!! For christ sakes..what is wrong with you?"he said.

"William...She's twenty years old...She'll be twenty one next Friday and she's drinking a Coke...And further more...She's not your daughter...She's my daughter from my first marriage....Her father is deceased...You were only her step father for the five years we were married." she said.

Both Bev and I looked at each other...We wanted to be anywhere but in the middle of this...and neither did Zoey.
"May I remind you that we are still married." he said.

"Not for long, thank god..." she said and looked at Olivia..
"William..calm down...You've been drinking..." said Olivia calmly....

"YES I HAVE....I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HANDLING HER DIVORCE!!!!......YOU WERE MY ATTORNEY!!!"he bellowed...

"William, stop shouting." said Olivia...

He pointed at Charles Tackle...

"YOU WILL NOT TAKE MY WIFE FROM ME!!!" he screamed....

By now...People were looking and Two beefy bouncers, Eddie and Albert came over....

"Is There a problem over here?" they asked...

"Nah man...we good...He just had a little too much to drink...We got it." I said and I grabbed William Huxley by the arm and ushered him outside of Josies....

He looked at Barbara and Charles and yelled one last time...

"YOU WILL NOT TAKE MY FAMILY!!! BELIEVE THAT BUDDY!"

I hustled him outside of the bar..Whistled for a cab and pressed a few bucks into his hand...

"Cabbie...Take him to where ever he wants to go." I said, then looked at him and went...

"Get it together man,." and walked back inside...

Barbara was very aplogetic...

"I am soooo sorry...He is such a drunken asshole...That's why I want to be done with him before my campaign for Mayor kicks into gear." she said.

"That's alright Barb..." said Olivia...

I walked back in.....Olivia took my hand...

"You handled that quite well Mr. Alexander..." she said.

"I did...didn't I?" I laughed...

III-
A well dressed young man with a fresh haircut and a pork pie hat had caught Bev's attention...He was standing within an ear shot of us talking and smiling...

"Baby...do you have a phone?" he asked.

"You don't have a phone?" she asked...

''I do...but I want yours...I told my mother I'd call her the day I fell in love." he said....

"Oh My God, that was lame " said Olivia, looking at me in disbelief...

"I already don't like this guy for using a tired old playa line that...That line is older than he is." I said as me and Olivia giggled.


"Really playa? Really?  That line is so corny,it's kind of funny." laughed Bev..

"Did it get me over?" he asked.

"You got some gaul...Yeah, I suppose it did...My name is Beverly..." she said laughing...

"Leroy...Leroy Love." he said.

"Come on Playa.." she said giving him the side eye.

''Leroy Peyton...I work at the DMV....I'm a floor manager..." he said, smiling...

"Oh My God...My niece always falls for guys like that....Oh my God..." said Olivia...

"Forget about it...He isn't getting anywhere....Besides....you haven't been up to my room in a few nights."I said.

"It's only been two nights...I've been working on some briefs..." she said.

"Well tonight ,I'd like to show you my briefs..."I said looking at her salaciously...

''Stop looking at me like you want to take my clothes off....Even though I know you do."she said.

"It's Friday night...."I said.

"Okayyyyy...Okay..I'm coming up." she said laughing...

"Bring an overnight bag."I said.

She just shook her head..

Bev looked at her aunt....

"Auntay...Leroy and I are going to Aqua Bar...D.R. can you take my Auntay home?" she asked.

"Sure babes...You know I'd like nothing better." I said.

"Thanks D.R." she said and winked as they left Josies...

"My niece and her choice of men...." said Olivia...

"She'll be fine...besides...that clown aint gettin none of that.."I said.

"I sure hope not...but I can't be too sure..."said Olivia...

"Come on...Let's go home...you pack some things and come on up to my spot...just in case I'm wrong." I said laughing...

"Yeah...just in case." said Olivia..

(TO BE CONTINUED)



5 comments:

Sunflower said...

Ohhh,I am slowly flling in love with these new charactors!

Lisa said...

.I told my mother I'd call her the day I fell in love." he said....Oh brother, that the lamest line I ever heard! LMAO!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Wow, She gave a guy some play that used that line...Imagine if I had been in that club!

Angie B. said...

Yeah Grover,Just imagine? LOL!

Tate 2 said...

Bev seems like a smart girl...She is after all a lawyer...But I recall in a Kevin story, she allowed a guy to shoot some nude photos of her and the guy tried to blackmail her...She really needs to pick a better quality of man!