Thursday, September 20, 2018

Deals Go Down

Rafer looked heartbroken....It occurred to me then that he really cared for this girl, She wasn't a side piece of his...
''Damn Frat, you serious man?" he said.

''I wouldn't lie about this..I got this video from her attorney..."I said.
"They've dropped all charges against her....She's in New York...She's had an abortion and supposedly she's in rehab..."said Bee Bee..

''And so that leaves me.."said Ray..
"That would have left you to carry the entire load my man....Except we have proof that she was driving...Photos lifted from the street, traffic and business cams and blown up..."said Kahlil..

"If the results of the second autopsy come back and match the first one...They'll have to take Vehicular Homicide off the table completely..That's the most serious charge."said Sofia..
"Yeah, you were facing up to ten years in prison for that...but the woman had a lot of Heroin and other opioids in her system...We think she was dead before you guys slammed into her car.."I said..

'But if I wasn't driving and it's not even my car..How could I be charged with Vehicular Homicide?" asked Ray...

"That's the basis of our entire argument.....Cheer up...The ADA doesn't want to prosecute either of you for this, Which is why a second autopsy was ordered...but you still are going to be charged with a DUI...Your third.."said Bee Bee..

''What am I looking at?" asked Ray..
''Six Month suspension of your driver's license....and mandatory time in Rehab..."said Kahlil..

"And she gets nothing? Doesn't lose her license? No charges at all..." said Rafer..

"Are you surprised?   Come on Man...How long you been a Black man in America?" I asked him..

II-
I showed him my ipad...


''ADA Rios..Lt. Tragg, I am Attorney Micheal Steele....I am representing Ms. Mills..." said Micheal Steele...
"I remember you sir...We were both on an Episode of HOT SUSPECT once.."said Lt. Tragg...
"Ms. Mills, tell us exactly what happened that night.. and don't leave out anything.."said Nina Rios..

A tearful Kylie Mills told a story that sounded amazingly familliar...


"That night was a blur....
Rafer and I were at a very expensive rooftop listening party 

 for a couple of new acts I wanted him to see.. We got high...We did a little blow, then we took uh some Fentynol to take the edge off...That was earlier in the afternoon..We took my car later...he was driving ,I was wayyy too wasted to drive...
We went to Josies...A Black club he frequented.
It was packed... and some hot bands he had told me about were playin....He sat in for one of The D.J.'s for a set...and then we left...
We hit Aqua Bar....Did some Salsa dancing...
That place was very packed too.., He did some more drinking...I told him he was drinking too much, but he kept on..
Finally we hit Stoleys....
We danced and drank some more......
Ray was so wasted....He couldn't even set up straight...I ran into a guy I knew ,who gave Rafer some more pills...We both took some with some water..

I couldn't drive anymore and Rafer insisted on  taking the wheel.."said Kylie
"Did you go anywhere else?"asked Nina.

"One last place....Red Bar...."said Kylie
I didn't have anything else to drink....I remember  talking to two guys there and a lot of laughing..Then I remember Ray putting me in the car on the passenger side and saying..
"I'm gonna take you home baby.."he said....

I don't remember the crash at all...All I remember is sitting on the sidewalk, lots of police around... Ray  was sitting next to me and our car was totaled, the other car was totaled and a lot of glass and wreckage...Next thing I remember was being handcuffed and put in a police car and told we had killed somebody.." said Hayley, who began to weep..

''You weren't driving, He was definitely driving right?.."asked Mike Steele..
he was purely playing this for the camera..
"Yes..He was driving..." she said and began to weep...

(Click!)
Ray was stunned..

"That's a lie...That's a lie..That's not what happened.."said Rafer..
''We know that....And now her Attorney ,Mr. Steele knows it...We showed him the photos that exonerate you.."said Bee Bee..
"He appears to be on board with us...He wants Vehicular Homicide taken off the table...And I really think it will be taken off.."said Sofia...

"Only problem....Lt. Tragg wants to arrest you again...Despite the fact the ADA clearly doesn't want to prosecute..." said Kahlil...
 Our Hot food arrived just then...Five steaming plates of Hot Grits with Sausage and Shrimps...
And five tumblers of hot steaming coffee...
 "Ummmmm it looks delish..." said Bee Bee..
''Eat Ray...Eat....I know it hurts...but eat something...Don't grieve on an empty stomach.."said Sofia..
"Yeah man...They're right.."I said..

"We plan to work out a deal where you'll do mandatory Rehab.....No points on your license and no suspension of driving license."said Kahlil..

''Word"said Rafer..
"It's the same deal she got!" I said..



III-

In the rooftop bar of his downtown law firm, Attorney Micheal Steel enjoyed drinks with fellow attorney Yvette Jones..

"I never pictured you for this type of drink..." said Yvette ,

marveling the "pretty " fruit tinged Margarita, Attorney Steel was drinking..

"You might not imagine a lot of things.." he said..

he passed her the Citris Martini..
She smiled.

"Mmmm thank you...This is delicious..
''So Yvette, they make you partner yet?" he asked..

"Not yet...I don't know if they ever are...They gave me more money, a larger office and those four brilliant young attorneys you met the other day to supervise.." said Yvette..

"They are good...Passionate....idealistic...The way we were when we left law school, remember?" he said..

"I do...I was starting to get jaded...until they came along..They were like a shot in the arm, They reminded me why I became an Attorney.."said Yvette..

"Maybe I need to mentor somebody..I"ve been Jaded for years..."said Mike Steel..

"You were Jaded in Law School."said Yvette..

They both laughed....
"Your old room-mate, Olivia is doing well for herself...

She and I worked at the same law firm for a few years ,then she left and formed her own practice with her niece...

and look at her.. I saw her and Beverly a few weeks back, She's got another young girl with her

...I suppose she's mentoring her..."said Mike.."You ever see Liv?" he asked..

"All the time...I live across the street from her and her niece..









They come by here from time to time, Her niece, her husband, her niece's husband ,He's an Attorney too. and that girl you were talking about...That's Josie..She's a para legal...about to attend law school...."said Yvette..

''Oh Good...You two were inseperable in Law School..I figured you'd keep in contact..."said Mike Steel..
"Sooo you think they'll drop Vehicular Homicide Charges ?"asked Yvette..

"Of course....That woman had as much if not more illegal substances in her at the time of death...They didn't kill her...And ADA Rios is a pretty fair woman...Your client has no criminal record...A few DUI's..Offer to send him to rehab....No License suspension..No Jail time...I'm sure she'll grant it...It's the same offer I proffered to her for  Kylie.."said Micheal Steel..

 "That's our game plan.."she said..


"Good Job.."said Mike Steel..."So tell me..Your Investigator..Jade...Jade Lee isn't it?
I find her extremely attractive...is she dating anyone seriously?" he asked..


Yvette smiled and continued to sip her drink..

"You'd have to ask her that!"said Yvette.

IV-
Mike Steel and Yvette were still talking, drinking and laughing when his phone rang..
"Excuse me Yvette..I have to take this." he said..

Yvette smiled...
Mike Steel's demeanor got dark..

"WHAT?   HE DID WHAT? WE HAD A DEAL??? NOOOO...I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM!"said Mike Steel...

AN HOUR BEFORE!

Philadelphia International Airport...
Kylie Mills stood with her carry on bag, awaiting the announcement of her flight...

Lieutenant Tragg and eight uniformed police officers walked up on her...

''And where do you think you're going missy?" he said.
"Oh Hi Lieutenant Tragg...I'm on my way to  New York City...I agreed to enter Rehab there......Six Weeks and then I'm home free.." she said , smiling..

"I don't think so...I looked at Street Cam Photos of the night you said you were out...And it appears you lied....Johnson wasn't driving...YOU were driving....YOU LIED!!!" said Lt. Tragg...

She smiled...

"Oh Okay...but uh...all of the charges were dropped...I agreed to do six weeks in Rehab and that's it!"she said..

"News Flash...I'm charging you with Vehicular Homicide and Driving while under the influence....I saw your Tox reports ...You and the Johnson boy had enough Cocaine, Fentynol and Boos in you to juice the city...and it WAS YOUR CAR...."said Lieutenant Tragg...

"Yes, but you knew all of that.. My lawyer made a deal with Assistant District Attorney Rios...plus I heard the woman was already dead before we hit the car...So there was no Homicide.." said Kylie.

"A second Autopsy is being done on that woman....I'm one hundred percent certain the outcome will be that she was alive."said Lt. Tragg..

''Well shouldn't you wait until the results of the second autopsy come out?" said Kylie..

"You're gonna wait darling, you're under arrest....Officer , read her her rights..."said Lt. Tragg..

One officer handcuffed her...

Another read her her rights..

As usual the press was there, snapping photos..

"Lt. Tragg, what about the other passenger...?" asked a reporter..

"He wasn't driving...therefore he can't be charged with Vehicular Homicide...but he was under the influence...Drug charges are going to be brought against him..." said Lt. Tragg....


And at the rooftop bar...

"Mike what happened?" asked Yvette.
"That Jackass TRAGG!  He's arrested Kylie at the Airport...Charged her with Vehicular Homicide..The results of the second Autopsy aren't in...WE HAD A DEAL.!!!...I cut a deal with the District Attorney...All charges against her were dropped...She agreed to do six weeks of rehab!" said Mike Steel..

Now Yvette was flabberghasted...

"Just six weeks?  That's a slap on the wrist...They were going to send my client up for ten years if they can! And even with just  the DUI...they wanted to suspend his drivers license for six months and send him away to six months rehab!" she said, now angry beyond means.....But not at Lt. Tragg,but at the obvious racial disparity in sentencing...
"I'm sorry Yvette...I had to get the best deal I could for my client...That's why they pay me..You know how the game is played..How deals go down...."said Mike Steel..

"Yeah, I see."said Yvette ,dryly..

"Yvette..come on..We are Attorneys...This is what we do..We make deals...."said Mike..

"Yes we do...."said Yvette.. She tossed a few dollars on the counter...

"Bye Mike..Have a nice life."she said and walked away...

"Yvette, Yvette....Come Onnnnnnnnnnnn!" said Mike...


(CONCLUSION NEXT!)


10 comments:

Toni said...

Leave it to Lt. Tragg to muck things up! LOL!

Angie B. said...

Why is he so hell bent on a second autopsy?

Sunflower said...

He wants the Vehicular Homicide charge to stick so that he can make a major collar!

Lisa said...

Yvette has been in the game long enough to know how the game is played..Mike Steele was right...You guys are Lawyers...You make deals...That's what you do!

Halo said...

Yeah Right! I didn't understand why Yvette was upset...She had some inkling of a deal being made by the other side already...

Vanessa said...

Yvette was upset at the racial disparity...They wanted to throw the book at Rafer and he wasn't driving...It wasn't his car...And yet they were willing to cut a sweet deal for the white girl...

Brenda said...

This type of thing happens everyday...Deals are always made...Yvette and her attorneys should be in Nina Rios ear trying to cut a simullar deal.

Rita said...

Wow! "Deals Go down" was the appropriate title for this story!

Cheryl said...

Wasn't it though?

Sean said...

Keith you are making viable political points in these stories....Way to go champ!