Monday, April 20, 2020

The Devil Is Busy

I was called to the Curran-Frohold Correctional Center by the Warden...
 ''Warden Creighton we got here as soon as we could.." I said.. I am Keith Wallace, Assistant District Attorney-Philadelphia..I prosecute Major crimes..I was here with Lt. Sissy Van Buren of the  Criminal Investigation Division..
''This involves Cyril Jenson?" asked Sissy...



"It does...I'm afraid he's dead!" said Warden Creighton...

 "Dead?? But how?? Why?? He just got here....You think it was a hit?" I asked..
''Yes...Did he have any enemies??" asked Sissy..

"No...Nothing like that....I'm afraid this guy died by his own hand...Let me take you guys back to his cell...We haven't changed a thing..."said Warden Creighton...






We walked back to his cell and there he was...Cyril Jenson...A triple murderer who terrorized the city until Sissy and her detectives..

 Which included my wife...
 DETECTIVE CARLOTTA RODRIGUEZ-WALLACE
 DETECTIVE TYRIQ PILE
 DETECTIVE JAMES "Jimmy" BARLOW
 Tyriq's wife..DETECTIVE SIRENA PILE
 DETECTIVE TONY HOPKINS
 DETECTIVE EDWIN "DUKE" BAYLOR
and Jimmy's wife- DETECTIVE ANGELA BELTON-BARLOW  brought him to justice and arrested him... on three counts of First Degree Murder...


I prosecuted him with help from ADA Karen Page, who was my second and he was convicted and sentenced to three life terms with no possibility for parole..

He was convicted of the brutal slayings of three women he had been romantically involved with...He had taken 2 million dollar insurance policies out on each woman and had then killed them...Stabbing one woman, shooting another and strangling yet another. He attempted to collect on the policies too soon...That and a tip from a sharp Insurance Company Investigator..Bonnie Shay led us straight to him...

He was set to be transported to the new super max State Prison tomorrow.... I suppose the thought of spending the rest of his life behind bars was too much for him...

He committed suicide...

II-

 Duke's wife, Dr. Hazel Baylor , Deputy coroner and Forensic Investigator surveyed the scene..

"Looks like a suicide to me..  He left behind a long rambling suicide letter and that is his handwriting " she said..
The Crime Scene Investigators and Forensic Lab Technicians looked over his cell...

"I didn't think I needed to put him on Suicide Watch." said Warden Creighton...

 "It's okay.....He was an odd sock...Good riddance to him..."said Sissy..
"It's not your fault...Forget about it.."I said..
"Can we release the body?" asked Hazel..

I looked at Sissy..

"Yeah...This case is over in every sense of the word.."said Sissy..

"Okay guys...Wrap him up...Let's get out of here.."said Hazel..

The body was put in a body bag...and carted off...

It wasn't often that killers like Cyril Jenson, who had taken the lives of three young women took their own lives...but he had and we were glad to be done with him!

It seemed like the end of a case...but actually, it was the start of another one...We just didn't know it yet...

II-

THREE DAYS LATER-

 My wife, Detective Carlotta Rodriguez-Wallace stood over the body of an attorney named Robert Cobb!

She had on latex gloves...She kneeled down and observed the body....He was lying face up in the parking lot of the Public Defender's Office..

"Two gunshot wounds to the chest..." she said..
Her partner, Detective Tyriq Pile concurred...

"The shooter had to be pretty bold to do it right out here in Broad daylight..." he said..

Her other partner, Detective James Barlow walked up just then...

"No eyewitnesses...and nobody I can find heard a sound.." he said..

"His car is over there...His wallet is intact, Credit cards, Debit cards, Gas Card...Gym membership...$250.00 cash in the wallet...He wasn't mugged." she said..

"His car looks like he had just gotten out when he was accosted...The shooter drove up and popped him twice... Looks like they used a .357 magnum from the shell casings and the size of the holes."said Tyriq..

"I recognize this guy...He's an Attorney, Robert Cobb. He represented that freak, Cyril Jenson..." said Jimmy..

"You know Jenson hung himself three days ago?" said Carlotta..

"Did he?" said Tyriq...

"Yeah....Boss Lady and my husband went up to CFC and saw the body..."said Carlotta..

''Wow, what Irony!" said Jimmy..
Crime Scene Investigators were all over the parking lot..Uniformed officers kept the crows away...

Dr. Hazel Baylor observed the body...

"The Devil is busy this week." she said..

"What's that Hazel?" asked Tyriq..

"Just a saying...Can we release the body?" she asked..

"Yeah , we got everything we need here.."said Carlotta..


The body was put in a body bag and carted off...

III-

ONE NIGHT LATER-


At ADA Karen Page's apartment complex....She stood outside , kissing her boyfriend, B.L. Benz..



"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Karen..."moaned B.L.
 "You coming up ?" she asked..
"Of course I am baby." he said..

Since his murder trial...They had been inseperable..


Without warning...A Green Ford Focus turned around the corner at top speed... The driver was wearing a ski mask...

The driver pointed a .357 magnum with a crude homemade silencer at B.L. and Karen....


B.L. was quick witted...He grabbed Karen and dove to the ground...

The three shots missed both of them, but hit an innocent bystander...a man who had gone out for ice -cream...He fell to the ground...dead!!!!Tossing his Ice Cream up in the air!!!

Once again...Crime Scene Investigators and Forensics people were at the crime scene...collecting shells and  other evidence...

 Detective Sirena Pile had on latex gloves and booties and was observing the body.....

Two gunshot  wounds to the chest and one to the side...Death was instantaneous.." she said..
 "His name is Vincent Deadwyler...28, he was out for a walk...He bought some Ice cream from the store down the street and was on his way back when he was shot to death." said Hop who was looking at his wallet....

"Everything here.. No money missing, credit and debit cards intact..." he said..

"He wasn't the target of the attack...I'm 100 percent certain that I was the target, me and Karen or just me.."said B.L.
 "Did either of you get a look at the shooter?" asked Sissy..

"The shooter had on a Ski mask....Was driving a green Ford Focus..."said Karen...
"That's the description of the car seen fleeing from the Cobb murder yesterday at the Public Defender's office..." I said.

"Bob Cobb, the Attorney...The Public Defenders office.. I knew him...I heard he was murdered..."said Karen Page..

"Yeah, My wife and my partners caught the case.." I said..

"Something about these shell casings...The funny shape.."said Hazel...

"They do look weird.."said Hop...

"They look like the ones we discovered yesterday...at the Cobb murder..."said one of the CSI guy..

"They look like they went through some odd home made silencer.."said another..

"We have a few eyewitnesses...but nobody heard anything.." said Sirena..

'What's going on here?" asked Sissy...

I still hadn't put together that the suicide and the two killings were connected..

"B.L. , you're certain the shooter was aiming at you or both of you?" asked Sirena..

"Yeah, the guy looked me right in the eye , I grabbed Karen and we dove for cover...That poor guy...he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time..He didn't have anything to do with this.."said B.L.

"I'm not the over dramatic type...but I'm certain B.L. is right...That shooter was aiming at us.."said Karen..

"Grab some clothes...You're staying with us tonight...We have a nice headquarters.." said Sissy, smiling..  "B.L., I'll have a man take you by your place ,so you can grab some clothes too."said Sissy..

IV-

At Headquarters....My wife, Carlotta was still there with her partners, Tyriq, and Jimmy....

"This guy ,Robert Cobb was as straight an arrow as you could get...Went to Northeast High, graduated, joined the Marines, got his college degree while in the core, Studied law and got his J.D. while still in the Marines, Was a Captain.. Got out of the Marines and took a job at the Public Defenders Office...Tried some 78 cases, won 65 of em...Was liked by everybody at his office...Even the ADA's liked him..He was real personable..I mean everybody liked him!"said Jimmy..

''Somebody didn't like him Junior...Somebody killed him..."said Duke..

"The guy had good credit, didn't gamble...Had no vices...and nobody I've talked to had a bad thing to say about him....Top and I interviewed Family, Friends, Colleagues..."said Tyriq..

'This was about something else."said Carlotta.

"Maybe some of the cases he lost..You talk to any of those people?" asked Angie..

"I did and I was able to clear all of them, Me and Rico and Jimmy...All except Cyril Jenson ,but he's dead!" said Carlotta...

Deputy FBI Special Agent in Charge , Sharon Hopkins, Hop's wife walked in...

'Those shell casings recovered from the scene are like none we've ever scene..My guys in the ATF said..The murder weapon was a 357 mag, but that the shell casings recovered show they went through a home made silencer...a crude one..."said Sharon..

''Which is why nobody heard anything.."said Carlotta..

We came walking in just then..

 "We caught a homicide tonight.."said Sirena..
 "A Civilian named Deadwyler...Vincent Deadwyler...Man was just out getting some ice cream..but it appears he wasn't the target of the killer ..It was B.L. and ADA Karen Page..The killer missed them and hit Deadwyler.."said Hop.
 "Guy in a ski mask just missed me and Karen.."said B.L.
 "I was soo scared.."said Karen..
 "I brought back a couple of the shell casings recovered from the scene...They look strangely like the shell coverings from your murder the other night Chica."said Sissy...
''Yeah...Sharon , can you have your guys in the ATF take a look at them? " I asked.

''Sure." said Sharon..Who peered at them.....Same  357 mag shells and crooked ,just like the ones from the Cobb Murder..."she said.

"It's late...Let's get out of here..We'll do it in the morning.."said Sissy..."B.L., I'll get you and Karen situated.." said Sissy..

I walked out with Carlotta in tow..

''What a few days we've been having...A Suicide of that freak Jenson...A Public defender murdered and now an attempt on B.L. and ADA Page's life...You think all of this is connected?" asked Carlotta.

"I don't see how it could be..I hope they're not." I said.

As I got closer to my SUV, I saw a thin wire sticking out the door.. A fine thin wire..My door was slightly unlocked..

I always locked my door.. My car was booby trapped...and booby trapped by an obvious amateur!

"Carlotta....go back inside, now..." I said.

"Papi, what's wrong?" asked Carlotta..

"Just go...Tell Sissy to call the Bomb squad.." I said..

The Bomb Squad arrived within an hour...They used a device , a robot device to jack my car  up and move it out of the garage into a field across the street...

The first wire was removed...I was meant to see that...and a second, a third, a fourth and a fifth...

Upon removal of the fifth....My SUV exploded!!!  A loud thunderous sound that shook the entire area..

That was definitely meant for me! Perhaps this wasn't an amateur after all...After the first and maybe the second bombs were removed...I would've felt safe and then I would have gone up in smoke...Me and Carlotta!!!

The Devil was busy, indeed!

We had definitely stumbled into a hornets nest.

(TO BE CONTINUED)










No comments: