Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Soldiers of Fortune


Gus's cabin didn't look like much on the outside....but inside it was something else..Carpeted floors ...a small living room with a Flat screen TV and a dvd player on the side..and a cablebox.
There was a bathroom and a half bathroom and two bedrooms and a very nice kitchen, which included a refrigerator filled with wine and beer, but no food. It didn't matter..There was a market a few blocks away and I walked to the market and bought a few things so that I could cook us a proper meal. I didn't know how long I was going to have to hole up here.

When I walked back to the cabin, Cock Robbins had found a bottle of Hennessey and was helping
himself to a glass of it. He had the radio on...Jill Scott was singing something...I had heard the song before but couldn't recall the name. My cell phone vibrated...The number was "restricted"
I immediately picked it up.

"Hello."

"Hi ya handsome, how are you holding up?"

"Well, if this isn't another country heard from." I said.

"Gee, you're welcome would be nice."

"It didn't take me too long to figure out that it was you Patty..." I said.

"Please...no names on the phone...you never know who is listening Kev... Listen, I got a
line on the street that a player from Newark named Eric Slaughter was looking for you
and your boy...so I looked into it...When I heard who was lookin for you, I had to get involved. I was coming to your house to warn you and to tell you to watch your back and
the punk ass tried to get smart with me..called me a bitch."

"I know, I heard that part of the convo..."

"Yeah, so I dropped his ass...he won't call no one else a bitch."

"I guess I should thank you..but you just dropped two heavy hitters girlfriend, and people think
I did it. I don't even know this guy,Slaughter...what he want with me and Cock?" I asked.

"I don't know...but he wants you dead...I dropped his boy as a little extra...He didn't do nothin
to me, but I figured he wasn't up to no good, seein as how he was tryin to jimmy the lock over
at Cock's house...so I put two hot ones in his ass too for extra measure."

"Killin don't bother you do it?" I asked.

"No...not when they deserve it. From what I hear, them two killed a plenty of people..they
had it comin."

" Well your secret is safe with me...I owe you from the last time you saved my life..What do I
do now?"

"I don't know....Eric Slaughter is tearin the city apart lookin for you, but the guys he got lookin for you are such lightweights...your people could take care of em..If I was you,I'd
head on back home..He's runnin scared...He thinks you're more dangerous than you are,
especially since you took out his two top guys."

"I need to find him, find out what this is all about...I'm telling you, I don't know him, I think he's
made some kind of mistake."

"You can't reason with a guy like Eric Slaughter...it doesn't matter if he's made a mistake..if he
wants you dead, then you're dead..that's all there is to it. Don't worry Kevin, I got your back..
He doesn't know who I am or that I even exist...I got your back...If I see him first, he's as good
as dead...Get some rest...and come on back home...your woman misses you."

"Okay..I'm thinkin about it...where can I contact you?"

"You can't...I'll contact you...see ya around sweets."

click!

I smiled...I wasn't going to tell Cock or anybody what I knew....but we were going back home...I
was tired of hiding.

Just as I walked into the kitchen...there was a knock on the door.

"Cock, kill that radio...toss me a gun." I said.

Then I heard the sound of a key in the door and before either of us could do anything...Gus walked in.

"Hey man, don't just come in like that, you could have gotten hurt." said Cock Robbins.

Gus looked at Cock and smirked, then just dismissed him.

"Hey Kevin, I see you found the place and are doing well..." the old man said.

Gus had brought some help. Eddie Martin and Albert King, the two heavily muscled ex marines
that I had worked with before on the "Singing Blogger" case.

"You said you needed muscle...so I brought my two guys along. You know Eddie..?" he said.

"What's up brotha?" said Eddie, who was about six five and rippling with muscles and carrying
a .44 magnum.

"And you know Albert? " said Gus.

"What's Happenin?" said Albert ,who was an inch shorter, but with a big bald head , an earring in his left ear, as heavily muscled as Eddie and who carried two nickel plated .45's on him.

Gus handed me a riot pump shotgun.

"This will stop anybody coming your way Kev...." said the old man.

"Gus, what's the word on the street?" I asked.

"Slaughter is spinnin his wheels, he can't believe he just lost two of his best men...He still wants
you dead, but after those two went down..he's havin a hard time findin anybody that wants to
do the job..You sure you never had no dealings with him?" asked Gus.

"I'm positive Gus...That's why I'm going home tomorrow." I said..

"What?" said Cock Robbins.

"We can't stay in hiding like this...this aint no way for a man to live Cock..." I said.

"Kevin, he wants us dead." said Cock.

"I know...We're gonna flip the script on him...find him first and get to the bottom of this."
I said.

"Awwww, you got a plan, right?" asked Cock.

"No I don't...but Philadelphia isn't that big...how many places can this guy hide? We got enough
muscle here to flush him out...Whoever this guy is...let's see if we can flush him out."I said.

I made a big pot of Jambalaya and smothered some turkey wings. Cock, Eddie, Albert, Gus and
I sat at the big table in the living room and enjoyed the food and the safety of each others company. Between the five of us, we downed two more bottles of Hennesey that we found.

(To be continued.....)

18 comments:

Jimmy said...

This is gettin' exciting Keith, what is going to happen next?

Why is dude after Kevin & Cock?

Anonymous said...

It's got to have something to do with Sepia and or her mother..I'm certain of it now Keith.Can't wait for the next installment.

Anonymous said...

Intriguing..

Anonymous said...

Ouuu, you got me going now Keith,this is getting good?

Anonymous said...

Don't have this have something to do with Sepia..I think she and Kevin make a cute couple...yet I think she knows more than she's telling.

Anonymous said...

It's Sepia's crazy Momma, I know it..She has to be the one pulling the strings.

Anonymous said...

This is like an HBO series...Only
better!-lolol.

Anonymous said...

Just love your stories and your charactors... "Escapades" makes my day.

Anonymous said...

You just upped the suspense a notch on this one.

Anonymous said...

Keep it coming Keith, We need more peices to this puzzle.lolol.Great storyline.

Anonymous said...

You know how to keep a sista entertained...Your little grandson is lucky to have a Grandfather who will be able to tell him so many stories.

Anonymous said...

This is really starting to get exciting Keith...I'm not even going to try and figure this out.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Cock owes this guy some money and put Kevin's name in it. I think Cock knows more than what he's saying.

Anonymous said...

A masterful story...I can see the Walter Mosley influence on you..I believe you did a post on "Keith's
Space" in which you said he was your favorite author.

Anonymous said...

This is pretty good...even though there isn't any sex in this.lololol.

Keith said...

I don't usually like to do this..but I'm going to give everyone a little spoiler..In the
next installment, we are going to learn more about Eric Slaughter and just why he wants both Kevin and Cock Dead...plus, Kevin is going to meet a most unlikely ally
in the installment to come that's going to blow this whole thing wide open and tip the scales in his favor finnally.

Here's a question..Have any of you figured out who the female is on the other end of the line? She's
been featured prominently in another Kevin caper?

There..Now I've already said too much.

SLC said...

Ok. Maybe Cocks ex-wife is still pissed and she's on the warpath.
Or maybe the someone that threatened Gail and Opal was Sepia's mom, but the person that threatened her was different, and Sepia is still a target. (What You Won't Do For Love)

I feel like Monk piecing stuff together.

SLC said...

Honey Brown wearing a Hillary Clinton Mask??!?!?!?