Sunday, March 29, 2009

Doc Out The Box


As she drove towards Patterson, my mind semed to drift back to another time I was in a car with a shapely and sexy woman driving to North Jersey...Sepia...We had just met and a series of murders had caused us to take flight from Philly to East Orange...I was driving then...and ever so often looking over at those shapely brown thighs of hers.. I missed her..I wondered what she was doing as we sped towards Patterson or actually it's outskirts.

"Kevin. Kevin why do you do this?" asked Sissy Van Buren.




"Why do I do what?" I said, knowing full well what she was asking me.

"Why do you solve murders, get yourself all involved in what is really police business?" she asked.

"I don't know.....I mean..I'm a writer Sissy..I've got two blogs that I keep up and I write stories for a Hip Hop lifestyles magazine for a living. I go on assignments occassionally and cover people in the business..but it wasn't until I started investigating stuff that I really felt alive...you know." I said.

"You ever consider getting a P.I.'s licensce? You're good..You've got a quick mind...You would have made an excellent Homicide Investigator." she said.

"Well, coming from you...that's a compliment." I said. She smiled.....We had had such an adversarial relationship in the beginning...but now, I was starting to warm to her.

"You know..he was like you." she said.

"He? He who?" I asked.

"Dr. Seward Fox. He was an excellent and brilliant surgeon they say....but before he was a surgeon, he had been a crime reporter....He worked for several of the local papers. That's how he partially put himself through med school. He followed the cops around, listened to their stories..drank coffee and ate sandwiches with the Homicide cops and sucked up every gory detail of their cases. I think he really wanted to be a cop. He became a Surgeon..and I'm sure..if he took one life he saved untold lives in his profession. HE had weird demons though...He ran Ray's
Mother off...He raised Ray himself and it was his dream that Ray follow him into Med School...but Ray flunked out. Ray went back to school, but became a journalism major and when he did go to work...He covered sports." She said.

"He was a damn good sports writer too...I loved his columns...So you have to understand..When he contacted me and told me that I was the only one he could talk to..I was more than flattered "I explained.

"He didn't tell you who he believed committed this crime?" she asked.

"Nah, he would tell me bits and peices...that he was awakened by the sounds of screaming...that
he was in a basement and saw something horrible...etc. He would never get to the point. I thought he was pulling my chain after awhile...especially after my wife told me that she knew him and that he was a horrible drunk and a liar. The night I was supposed to meet him that he died...He told me that he was going to lay the whole story out for me...He also told me that he thought he was being followed....but I didn't believe him..Looks like he might have been telling the truth." I said.

We pulled into the Farber Adult Community....about twenty miles from Patterson ,New Jersey
a little while after that. It was an old white building. Inside the building were the same dull white walls and a sqeaky clean hospital like enviroment that looked like something out of the 1930's.

A creepy Man who looked like Lurch from the Adams Family greeted us-

"Can I Help you...I am Superintendant, Nambula." He said in a deep voice. He couldn't help me do anything. I reasoned.

"I'm Lieutenant Sissy Van Buren , Philadelphia Homicide...We'd like to speak to one of your patients...Seward Fox." she said.

"Seward Fox???I'm afraid you just wasted your time and your gas mam." He said.

"What are you talking about? " I said.

"Seward Fox hasn't lived here since 2007.....He's living with his girlfriend in Philadelphia." said Nambula. (What kind of name was Nambula???)

"Wow, Lieutenant...All this time and he was right under our noses." I said.

"Yeah....Looks like we gotta head back home." said Sissy.

"Not just yet..let me make a call." I said. I called Sepia....I asked her about the Doctor's Office in East Orange...She told me that he worked out of his home...That he had a room in the basement of his house. I asked her if she thought the house was still in East Orange. She told me that it was and that it was empty....that no one had bought it. She gave me directions on how to get there.

"Lieutenant...Since we are here...Let's go to East Orange." I said.

"East Orange ??What's there?? she asked.

"The Fox Home and Office....It's been empty for years...Let's check it out...what have we got to lose?" I asked.

"I don't have a warrant to search that house." she said.

"Me neither." I said and winked....

"You're bad Kevin...but...since we are in the area......." she said with a sly sexy laugh.


(To Be Continued.....)

16 comments:

Solomon said...

This is an interesting caper Keith, I wonder what they are going to find at the doctors old place?

James Perkins said...

"You're bad Kevin." Ho Ho Ho...What is going to happen in that house Keith?" I know, I sound like "anonymous" but it's too intriguing for me not to ask."

Simon Bastion said...

Now we'll probably get to the bottom of things, once they check out his old house.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

I'm lovin this caper Keith..It's moving a little slower than the ones before it...but I know the payoff is going to be incredible.

Toni said...

@Laughing at James Perkins- Why yall got sex on the brain? Kevin and Sissy are trying to solve a murder not solve the mystery of each other.

Angie B. said...

Love this caper...it's kind of spooky!

Sunflower said...

I like the fact that you slowed this story down Keith..It gives us all a chance to think.

Jazzy said...

Two attractive people alone in a dark abandoned building....Hmmmmmmm.

Tate2 said...

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Swaggie said...

The key to cracking this whole case may be in that building..I'm gonna guess that somebody is going to stop them from finishing that search.

Lisa said...

A cagey guy like Dr.Seward wouldn't have left much behind in that house. If he did kill that girl..he's gone undetected for close to 20 years..I'm sure their search will turn up nothing.

Vanessa said...

This whole caper seems so...so eerie compared to the others. I like it though, but it's unsettling.

Halo said...

What could possibly be in the Doc's old place? Shouldn't they be heading back to Philly to locate the Doc and his "Girlfriend"????

Sean said...

The old man has a girlfriend?? Obviously There is nothing wrong with him..It has all been a front.
He killed that girl...but it seems like Kevin and Sissy are so far away from catching him.

Keith said...

@Sean- They are not as far as you think...I hope you'll enjoy my next installment- "The House of Horrors"

Captain Jack said...

Dr. Seward seems to be a very slippery charactor...Maybe even slippery than that creep Kevin dealt with in the last story featuring him.