Saturday, December 23, 2017

San Francisco Is For Lovers

It was late in the afternoon...5:00 pm and my good friend, Private Investigator, Kevin Morris and his wife, Realtor, Sepia Morris and their cute little daughter Kimberly was driving us to the Airport...



That us being me, Donnie Ray Alexander, Investigator for Alexander and West, Attorneys at Law...


Which is my wife, Olivia Bennett Alexander and her niece, Beverly West and her new fiance, Attorney Nelson East...



Also along with us...but not going on this trip was our Office Manager/Para-legal...Josie Boyd...

Kevin's adopted daughter and our trusted team member...It had been Kevin and his wife, Sepia who had introduced Olivia and Beverly to Josie when Liv was starting her law firm and Josie had worked for us since day one...
"Kevin, Sepia...Thank you so much for driving us to the Airport..."said Olivia..

"Oh No Problem...We are just sorry you won't be spending Christmas with us this year...We have a big meal, that's catered and served in a hall and everybody who is everybody is there..."said Sepia..

"I've heard...Hopefully next year..We'll be here for Christmas.." said Beverly...

"This time next year you'll be Mrs. Beverly East or are you going to Hyphenate it...Beverly West-East?" joked Kevin...

I busted out laughing...

"I told her the same thing when they started going together.." I said..

"My husband thinks he's a comedian...Operative word...THINKS!" said Sepia,laughing..."Pay him no mind Beverly...Congratulations to you both on your engagement.." said Sepia..

"My Husband thinks he's a comedian too Sepia..."laughed Olivia...


Nelson and Josie played peek a boo with Kevin and Sepia's daughter..Kimberly..

''She loves yall...Don't get her too excited...We have to deal with her once you guys are on the plane " joked Sepia..

''She is such a little cutey pie..Sepia.."gushed Olivia..
''How long you guys staying ? Just a week?" asked Kevin..
"Yeah...We have Hotel Reservations...But Olivia's Brother Jimmy and his wife are having us over for Christmas Dinner..."I said..

''Wow...I used to watch your brother play football when I was a kid...I never put it together that Big Jimmy West was your older brother Liv.and your father, Beverly." said Kevin..
"We have different fathers....but the same mother..."said Olivia...That's why I'm Bennett and He's West.."said Olivia.
"And as you can guess...My parents aren't together...My Mom lives here in Philly and My Daddy and his wife live in Cali..." said Beverly...
''And this is Family!" I said and sighed..
''Family is Family...At least everybody is on good terms " said Sepia.
We pulled into the Airport.....

Kevin helped Nelson and I with the luggage...

"Hey Look if you need a ride....Give me a call when you're coming back and I'll be glad to pick you guys up."said Kevin...

"Oh Thank You Mr. Kevin...But My cousin Kayla and her boyfriend Ray will be picking us up." said Beverly, who kissed him on the cheek and hugged Sepia and Kimberly too and Josie..

"Congratulations young lady and you too Mr. Nelson East on your engagement.." said Kevin...

"Yes, congratulations to you both...Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas..I know we'll see you at Josies for the Annual New Years Eve Party..." said Sepia..

''Would not miss that girlfriend."said Olivia, who hugged her and Kevin..."Thank you guys so much.."she said.

We all hugged Josie , who was sitting this trip out...She would be spending Christmas here in Philadelphia with her boyfriend Paris..and having dinner with Kevin and Sepia and Kimberly...

"You guys have a safe trip and Merry Christmas" said Josie, smiling....
"Next time we go to San Francisco...We are definitely taking you Josie, that's a promise.."said Olivia,hugging Josie.
''Yeah...I'm going to miss Dress and Shoe Shopping with you Jo, Not to mention partying.."said Beverly, who hugged her..
"Mind the store Josie...." I said and hugged her...
 "Tell Paris and Blake I'm bringing them back some wine.." said Nelson...
''They'll like that." said Josie, who gave Nelson a hug...

"Take care of my girl Bev." she said...

We waved and then headed inside to catch our flight..
II-
Our Flight was uneventful...We Arrived in San Francisco at around 8:30 pm...It was just starting to get dark...


Attorney Sylvia Glenn was waiting for us at the Airport...

"Hey Guys...." she said with a bright smile as she greeted and hugged all four of us...

"Hey Syl...Where's that baby of yours? " I asked..

''She's with her father today..He's supposed to bring her back tomorrow.."said Sylvia...  She was quiet a minute...

''Larry and I aren't together.. He moved out a couple of months ago...But he's good about the baby...Hasn't missed a payment ,is good about visiting her and keeping her...and all.." said Sylvia..

"He can be such a butthead...I'm so sorry girl about him...You still work at the Innocence Program?" asked Beverly...
"Oh Yes...It hasn't affected work.."said Sylvia..
"I imagine things get kind of weird huh?You two working together.." said Olivia..

''No...I'm in court a lot..and when I'm not...He is...I mean we manage...We still manage to be cordial for the baby's sake...

She looked at us and gasped..

"Something is different about you guys..." she said..

''Not me." said Olivia..smiling!
She stared at Nelson , then she stared at Beverly...

particulary Beverly's hand....
The ring sparkled!
"OH MY GOD!!! YOU TWO ARE ENGAGED!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU GIRL!" she said and hugged Beverly, who laughed..

''It's been two weeks now!"laughed Beverly, gushing...
"Must be something in the water...Lem came out here with his girl, Zoey...She's so sweet and got engaged..and now you and Nelson...Well congratulations Mr. Nelson.." said Sylvia , who hugged Nelson...
"Thanks Syl..."said Nelson, smiling sheepishly....
"You guys set a date yet?" asked Sylvia..

"We want to do it around Valentines Day..."said Beverly...

"Ouuu Nice..No waiting..." said Sylvia , who began to laugh hysterically.....

''What's so Funny?" I asked..
"Larry knows you're in town...He has drinks with your father a lot Beverly, trying to get in good with him...Wait until he finds out..." she said laughing hysterically...
Beverly sighed..

''Another Hurdle to climb...I haven't told him yet or My Father....That's part of the reason We are out here.." she said.
''Oh Don't worry about your dad!..I'm sure everything will be just fine.." said Olivia, who looked at Nelson and pinched his cheek...

"And don't you worry either...Everything will be just fine..."said Olivia..

Nelson managed a weak smile..
One thing I knew...This was going to be a very eventful Christmas Trip...
"So Where Do you want me to take you?" she asked as we loaded our baggage in her SUV..
I smiled..

"We decided the best course of action was to get Hotel Rooms..."I said..
"Yeah." said Olivia, smiling weakly...
"I know what you mean....Okay kids let's go.." she said with a smile...



III-

Like My Native New Orleans...San Francisco was beautiful at night...
Don't get me wrong...I had come to love Philadelphia, but next to my native New Orleans...San-Francisco was slowly becoming my favorite American City....
Our Hotel Rooms were beautiful....
"I love this bed Donnie Ray...Foam Mattress...No Headboard...No Noise.." Olivia whispered and laughed..

I smiled..

"No noise but ours!" I laughed...

There was a knock on our door..It was Beverly and Nelson...They were two doors down...

"Auntay, I love these rooms...Oh My God...Great View...Refrigerator full of Beers and Liquors , 45 inch TV screen..Wow!" said Beverly...

"Liv, you know how to live...You got to book us a hotel like this for our Honeymoon.."said Nelson laughing sheepishly...

"Heyyyyyyy Go big or go home.."laughed Olivia...

There was a knock on the door..A Loud Knock!

I wondered who it was....I had two guesses.....I opened the door...One of my guesses was right...It was Jimmy West, My Brother in Law, Olivia's big brother and Beverly's father..

"BROTHER IN LAW!!! DONNIE RAYYYY MY MANNNNNNN!" said Jimmy, who gave me a bear hug and shook my hand...
''What's Goin On Jimmy???;" I said ,laughing...
"Man I got a case of that Beer you like and some Louisiana Crawfish just for you babe.." he said..

"Awwwww now you're talkin my language.." I said..

He grabbed his little sister, Olivia and spun her around...Kissing her in the lips and all over her face...

"Come here, give me some love Baby Sister.." he said..

Olivia Bennett-Alexander, Attorney at law who made ADA's shrink in fear was reduced to putty in her big brother's arms...She giggled like a school girl...

"Put me down Jimmy,Put me down..." she giggled....

Finally he grabbed his daughter Beverly and did the same thing...He smothered her with sloppy kisses..lifting her up and spinning her around!!!

''HOW IS MY BABY GIRL DOIN?"
 "Hi Daddy!" she said....screaming with glee!!!

Beverly giggled like a little girl, Jimmy had that affect on them...Then He took her left hand in his big hand....

The ring sparkled!  He smiled broadly!!!
"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu look at you....Look at this rock!!!YOU BALLIN OUT GIRLLLLLLL! Come Here Nelson..." he exclaimed, Surprisingly smiling ear to ear...

''Yes Sir?" said Nelson..
''Who are you calling sir? Gimmee Love mannnnnnn!...You hooked my baby girl up!  Whoaaaa! You ballin out like that mannnnnnnnnn?  I shoulda been a lawyer!" he exclaimed..and laughed heartedly!

''Daddy you knew?? You knew I was engaged?" said Beverly...
''Yeah, your mother told me.." he said non chalantly...
"You talk to Mommy?" asked Beverly...

"From Time To Time...I don't hate your mother, Beverly...In Fact, your mother is one of the best people I know..We've always been friends....We don't talk every week, but from time to time we do talk.."said Jimmy softly..

''She uh tell you uh anything else?" asked Beverly.
"Yeah, she told me about her new boyfriend...Some young Assistant District Attorney...If she likes it ,I love it...What do I care? Long as she's good with it.." said Jimmy...who hugged both his daughter Beverly and his soon to be son in law ,Nelson...


"Nelson...I got the beer you like too...I remember what you drank last time I saw you in Maine...And Liv, Bev...I don't know what you two drink now of days...You'll have to clue me in.." he said..

"They like Citris Martini's now of days..."I said..

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!You guys been in Seattle haven't you? I was up there...Nobody makes a Citris Martini like they do."laughed Jimmy...

 "Yessssss! we've had em in Philly, New Orleans and Miami and they don't compare to Seattle's" said Olivia...
"Nooooooooooooo,Not at all..." said Beverly..
Jimmy's wife, Malinda walked in just then, she smiled..

"Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" she said..
"Oh My God...Heyyy Girllllllll!" said Olivia, smiling and hugging Malinda....
Malinda turned and hugged Beverly and looked at her hand..

 The Ring sparkled!

Beverly gushed...

Malinda smiled..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu girl...Look at that rock!!!" she gushed...Then she looked at Nelson..

Nelson beamed...

"Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!....Didn't I tell you, when we were in Maine that we were your future in laws??...I knew you and Beverly were destined to be together.." she said and hugged him...

''Welcome to the family Nelson.." she said.
"Come On You Guys...We got a Van waiting downstairs...Let's go get some food and some drinks..We'll bring you back here and then be at our house On Christmas Morning.."said Jimmy...

I put my arms around Olivia...

''Sounds like a plan" I said as we walked to the elevator..
"Oh I'm so happy...see Nelson...You had nothing to worry about." said Olivia, as Nelson followed us out into the hallway...and on the elevator!

Finally looking like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders...

Jimmy pulled Beverly to the side...

''Uh baby Girl, a word? We can catch the next elevator!" he said softly.
"Yes Daddy?" said Beverly...
"Uh, a couple of months ago...I ran into a guy I vaugely knew from Philly....A Lawyer, one of your Aunt Olivia's friends...Uh Larry North ,in fact you know him too!  You two uh used to be an item I suppose...Anyway...Everytime I was in my favorite bar, after a long days work...Here he comes....trying to buddy up to me...Telling me he knows I'm Olivia's brother and your father and how much he loved you and he still does and yada yada yada...I didn't want to hear it...I used to think he was smooth...Now he sounds like a broken record...Whining and Whining about how he blew it with you and how Nelson is a nice guy as guys go..but that he's really not your speed and how HE is the only man for you and how if he could convince you to marry him , he'd move you out here where you and I could be closer.." said Jimmy...

''And what do you think about all that Daddy?" asked Beverly...
"I think you're happy where you are...You and my sister built something..That law firm you got together...I know how much you love my sister and how much she's always loved you..I know neither one of you would be happy without the other...I know Donnie Ray watches over you both and I sleep better knowing he's around...but most of all...I know you've moved on from this whiny baby Larry North..and I know Nelson makes you happy...He gets you in a way none of those other guys ever did...Anybody that makes my baby girl happy and buys her a rock like this is alright with me...I say, stay where you're happiest..My sister needs you and Nelson makes you happy...Marry Nelson and stay with Liv, Watch each others backs" said Jimmy..

"I will...I love you daddy!" said Beverly hugging her father and tearing up a little..

"I love you too baby....And uh ruh,I hope you don't get mad at me..." said Jimmy...

''What?" asked Beverly...
"I was drinkin and I uh kind of let it slip to this Larry North fella that you all were coming out here for Christmas...So he uh knows you're in town...I didn't tell him you and Nelson were engaged...I swear..and he don't know where you're stayin..."said Jimmy...

"Ohhhhhhhhhh I don't care...He'll find out soon enough.." laughed Beverly....

Malinda appeared at the door..

''Will you two come on? we are starving!" said Malinda...

As the three of them walked down the hall....Another familiar figure walked out of a room...A man stood in the doorway sweating and fixing his pants...He and the woman shared one last passionate kiss..


"Lawd woman, you got me sweatin in December..You sure put it on me.." he laughed..

The woman was fixing her hair and her make up....and laughing...

"Oh Christian  hush up..."..she said...

He attempted to pull her back in the room, but she pushed away...

''Stop ittttttttttt..I've got to go...My husband is waiting for me across town...I'm already an hour late." she giggled....

"Just one more kiss Ginger...just one more.." he pleaded....
She kissed him slowly, softly in the doorway...and he moaned...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...lawdd, I wish you could stay longer girl.."

The man's trousers were standing out like a circus tent... and he stepped back into the room when he saw Jimmy, Beverly and Malinda walking towards them.

"I've got to go...I'll try and come by and see you before we leave town.." said Ginger...

Jimmy snickered...

''Somebody is doing somethin they shouldn't oughta.." he laughed..

Beverly was stunned...

"Ginger?" she said...

''Beverly?...Wallace's friend? What are you doing here?" she asked shocked.!!!Beverly could have asked her the same thing...
''This is my father and step-mother...I'm spending Christmas with them." she said.
''Ohhh that's nice...Wallace and I are uh here for a Surgeon's convention...We are uh leaving the day after  tomorrow night..I-I-I'll tell him I saw you.." she said Nervously...''Nice running into you." she said and nervously ran down the exit stairs...
"You know her Bev?" asked Jimmy , who was snickering..

''I know her husband...and that man in the doorway wasn't him!"said Beverly..
''Awwwwwwwwwww suki suki now!"laughed Malinda..

Once on the street...

Nelson asked..

''Everything alright?"
Beverly hugged him...

''Everything is just fine baby..."she said and smiled..

"Guess who I saw running out the side door? Ginger Anderson..."said Olivia.."She looked like a deer caught between headlights when she saw me and Donnie Ray.." she continued..

"I saw her too...She was coming out of a man's room ,right across from you guys...and it wasn't Wallace.."said Beverly...
''Who is Ginger Anderson?" asked Nelson.

"Remember a few years ago when we went to Punta Canta?" said Beverly...
"Oh Yeah....Your ex-Boyfriend's wedding....I remember that.." said Nelson...
"Ginger Anderson is his wife!!" said Olivia....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Deeeep!" said Nelson.


Like I said...This was going to be an interesting trip and I was certain the fun hadn't begin yet!


CONCLUSION NEXT-








16 comments:

Toni said...

GREAT ,GREAT STORY!

Angie B. said...

Keith,I loved this!

Sunflower said...

Great Story....That Ginger Anderson is a trip!

Lisa said...

Nice that Beverly's dad accepted their engagement...I thought he was going to be against it...He wasn't exactly nice to Nelson the last time they met in Maine..But apparently he's accepted him...Good Story!

Halo said...

I didn't think Jimmy was going to be a problem...If Liv thought so...She wouldn't have brought Nelson along for their Christmas Vacation...

Vanessa said...

It's quite obvious now that Jimmy is not the hold up...I suspect we'll see Larry North, now that he's not with Sylvia Glenn any longer...Can't wait until tomorrow.

Brenda said...

This was great because it got all of the lingering worries out of Beverly and Nelson's mind...Jimmy is good with what they are doing...I thought it was touching ,the Father-Daughter talk they had when he told her to Marry Nelson and stay with Livy.Loved it!

Rita said...

I simply loved this....Beverly running into Ginger with another man was a trip...Will Wallace be in tommorrow's installment? Can't wait...And I know Larry North will be ...Can't wait to see how he takes all of this!

Cheryl said...

This was good, but I know tomorrow's will be even better...Love these guys...

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Regardless of what happens tomorrow...Bev and Nelson are home free!

Swaggie said...

Since Beverly and Olivia and company are on that same floor...Doesn't look like Ginger will be paying ole boy a return visit...LOL!

Yvonne Anderson said...

I wonder if Beverly runs into Wallace, is she going to tell him she saw his wife, kissing another man?

Tate 2 said...

I hope she doesn't....That's really none of her business and she doesn't know the whole story!

Yvonne Anderson said...

Nice Seeing Kevin and Sepia in this...I love the way your charactors all interact with each other...(Everybody except Nate and Monica)

James Perkins said...

I'm Happy for Beverly...She deserves some happiness...When you first meet these two women...Olivia was falling in love with and destined to marry Donnie Ray, while Beverly was manless and going bad dates (One of them with future husband, Nelson), who managed to leave his wallet behind on the first date,he's lucky she forgave him and agreed to a second date...Most women wouldn't have...The other was the manager of the DMV ,who was not only married , but a player and along the way, Larry North, The freak at that company who was always asking her to let him see her boobs, The guy she knew in law school who was only interested in her for sex....The other guy who deflowered both her and cousin Kayla and even the guy who took nudes of her and tried to blackmail her....oh and of course Wallace Anderson...(We don't know what happened between them...I hope we find out... ) Now she has Nelson, who loves her desperately...but who calls her on her bullshit, is nurturing and affirming and is obviously the best for her...I'm glad she's marrying him...He's her true soul mate just like Donnie Ray is Olivia's...Much luck to them in the future.

Sunflower said...

I couldn't agree more James!