Monday, May 13, 2019

The Eve Of Things To Come

It's Monday....We must be in court!

Ms. Yvette, Bee Bee, Kahlil, Myself  and Sofia found ourselves in court...We weren't defending a murder suspect...No that was someone elses job...We were representing a witness.. A witness who had been subpoenaed..And we were in Federal Court, not city court as we were used to..
 "Bee Bee, when your old boyfriends want to see you they go to any length don't they?" joked Ms. Yvette.
 "Awwww you got jokes Boss Lady..."laughed Bee Bee..
 "I gotta admit, this is different...We aren't defending a murder suspect , we are representing a witness." said Kahlil
 "It is a little different.. Sofia and I were trying to help him get his citizenship...before he got discovered and then this happened....wowwww." I sighed.
"This couldn't have happened at a worse time.." said Sofia...
"Hey guys.. I'm sorry" said our client...Carlos Natividad...a local businessman...He owned about 10
barbershops and hairdressing shops in the area...He had come to America with his family when he was three...Had been educated in Philadelphia Public schools ,had gone to Community College and later Temple, earning a Bachelors and masters degree in Business administration..had even gotten a grant and had bought up three failing barbershops and one beauty parlor ,had turned them around in record time and had bought up seven more..He was doing well for himself.. but he needed his citizenship...he contacted Sofia and me..

He had heard of our past work...we began getting his visas in line.. His work visa was about to run out.. We had applied for another one until we could get the citizenship ball rolling when the worst happened..

Drug Kingpin ,Ernesto Spain...The cousin of the late drug kingpin Manny Spain, who had the hot package on the streets murdered his rival, Chick Boutain right in front of one Carlos's shops around closing time...
Carlos would have never of testified except that he was seen and identified and subpeoned...

By who else? U.S. Attorney, Todd Dellums..who had  suscessfully  prosecuted and convicted 39 of
Ernesto Spain's associates and now had his crown jewel...The Boss himself in the hot seat....

Rightfully sensing that we, by we..Sofia and I


were in over our heads..Ms. Yvette rounded up the rest of the troops...
 My girlfriend, Beatrice "Bee Bee" Evans
and my main man and Sofia's significant other, Khalil Ahmed...
''Can't leave any of my babies hanging.." she said.

II-

This was a preliminary hearing, but Todd Dellums, a brilliant attorney who I had once gone up against and who had more than just a fleeting interest in my girlfriend Bee Bee...They had once been engaged..was brilliant in his sumnation..
Painting Ernesto Spain, a successful developer, who bought high grade Heroin and Cocaine and other Opiates and sold to several drug organizations couldn't stay away from the streets....As a realtor..he was insulated...Had an expensive ,tony loft downtown....He never really touched the drugs...Through his associates...The drugs were sold to drug gangs on the streets of North Philly, Northern Liberties, Fishtown et al....but he "couldn't keep the blood off of his hands..." as one witness said...he wanted to be down and dirty...

So when Carlos "Chick" Boutain offered a cheaper product to some of the drug gangs and refused to move out of his territory, he got a personal visit from Ernesto, who shot him six times as he exited one of Carlos Natividad's barber shops...
 Carlos just happened to be doing a "money run", collecting the profits of the day...
His little daughter, Carlita was with him... He insisted that she saw nothing...
Sofia had taken a liking to her and she to Sofia...They conversed in Spanish throughout the hearing and giggled a little bit..
Todd finished up his sumnation..He was , as usual, impressive as he was loquacious...
"Bee Bee...I must say...your ex is impressive.." I said..
"He is.. but remember...You beat him in court once.." she said and smiled at me...


'I did, didn't I?" I laughed...
"Oh hush up smarty,," laughed Bee Bee..

who kissed me softly....
''Well, at least we aren't going up against him in court this time.." said Kahlil..
"You guys know the U.S. Attorney?" asked Carlos..
"We do....Some of us know him better than others..."laughed Ms. Yvette..
''Do I see ADA Ron Harper around here? Or ADA Miles Ellis?" asked Bee Bee..laughing...
Ms. Jade, our investigator laughed …...
"Ugggghhhh don't laugh missy, look over there...in the corner...There is yours." laughed Ms. Yvette..
Standing to the side in back of the courtroom was ICE Agent, Shawn Columbsy...We hadn't seen him in awhile, but there he was...
Ernesto Spain smiled menacingly...
Carlos got as white as a ghost...

"That guy...He's Immigration....I know him.. He paid me a visit last week." he said..
''We know him too.. He can't touch you..You have a work Visa...a good Work Visa." said Sofia.
"It runs out in 24 hours..." said Carlos...
''The new one will be ready Wednesday Morning..."assured Kahlil..
''What will I do in the meanwhile...I can't come out in the open...That Immigration guy is just waiting to pop me."said Carlos.
"He's got a point..He's going to have to lay low until we can get his new visa.." I said.
"He doesn't have to be at Voir dire...Neither do we really...He can lay low until then.."said Yvette..
''Are they gonna take my daddy?" asked Carlita..
"Oh Noooo baby...We aren't going to let them do that.."said Bee Bee.


"No little Mamasita.."said Sofia..

III-
Bruce Patterson, the attorney representing Ernesto Spain knew Yvette and walked over to her...

"Yvette Jones.....How the hell are you??, Long time no see.." he said, smiling..
"Bruce , it has been awhile huh?" said Yvette...
"You still at McClusky huh?" he asked..

"I am...I'm A Supervising Attorney now...These are the young attorneys I supervise.."she said pointing to me, Bee Bee, Kahlil and Sofia and Jade.





He smiled..
MCClusky caught up to the 21st Century and hired some more people of color huh?  Seriously, I thought you and Miles were it as far as uh so called minorities go." he said.
"Miles is an ADA now..

with the city."said Yvette..
"Yeah, I know...I saw him not too long ago....I worked with your girlfriend, Olivia Bennett,

 after I left McClusky...She and I both got fed up with that firm...She and her niece Beverly

 are in private practice now as am I...You should consider  that Yvette...Take these guys with you..." he said.

"That is a thought.. Liv and Bev are making goo gobs of money and keeping it all.. They don't have to kick a percentage to any company.." said Yvette.. ''So Bruce...Why are you defending a monster like this?" asked Yvette.
"That MONSTER keeps me on retainer...Six figures retainer..."said Bruce...

"Ohhhhh I see.." said Yvette.
U.S. Attorney Todd Dellums walked over to Bee Bee and me..

''Hello Bee, Keith..I had no idea you guys were involved in this.." he said.
''Well we are actually representing the witness.. We were repping him before the murder." I said.
"He's a successful businessman.." said Bee Bee..


''Yes, a successful businessman in need of a green card.." said Todd..
"YOU KNEW?" said Bee Bee..
"It's my business to know everything about all the players in my case...but I didn't let that out...Why would I? He's my star witness...No...THAT came from his attorney over there...

Todd was nothing else if not thorough, thought Bee Bee


The one talking to Ms. Yvette...That's why Shawn Columbsy is here damnit!

He could blow my case.." said Todd.
Carlos was talking to Sofia.

''Look Mamasita… I've got to Sky up....That Immigration guy is here to grab me....I need you to do something for me.." he said..
''Don't do anything rash Carl...We've got your back.. But here...Call this number...He's a friend...You can stay there off the radar ."said Sofia.
"Thank you mamasita! Look take Carlita to this address.. It's a church in the old neighborhood.. The Preacher there.. He knows me..

He'll take care of Carlita...Immigration man can't go in there to get her.. Take her there...Wednesday when you have my new Visa.. You go to him.. He'll know how to get in touch with me..." he said..

"How are you going to get past him? he's got the door blocked.." said Sofia.
"I know how." said Kahlil.. "Ms. Jade..." he said..

"What is it?" asked Ms. Jade..
"We need a big favor...Carlos has got to sky up, get out of sight until we can get him a visa, but your boyfriend over there has the exit blocked.." said Kahlil..
''And you need a diversion right?" said Ms. Jade..
"Yeah.." said Kahlil..
"Okay....but you owe me big time.." said Jade..

"You drink free on me. all next week"said Kahlil...
"Me too, Friday night.." said Sofia..
Shawn Columbsy  was shocked to see Jade coming his way..

"Jade!  What are you doing here?" he asked..

"That's a dumb question....I'm an investigator...I work for these attorneys..."said Jade.
''I mean this is Federal Court..You aren't defending Ernesto Spain are you?"
"No we are representing Mr. Natividad....We were representing him before this nasty business of him witnessing a murder.. We were trying to help him get his citizenship.." said Jade.
"Too late...He's about to get the boot. Jade.. Jade.. Why? He's an illegal immigrant...been in this country for years, went to American schools and colleges...Started businesses...Here illegally...He's going back to his country.." said Shawn.
"This is his country...The only country he's ever known.. He's been here since he was three.. He's a dreamer..."said Jade..
''Jade, he's an illegal immigrant.." said Shawn Columbsy...
"I was illegal once....but I'm legal nowwww.." said Jade softly...
She made his temperature rise...She made him feel things in his loins he hadn't felt in a long time. She made his trousers stand out like a circus tent..

"Yessssssssssssssssssss you arrre…..You're legal baby and I'm legal.." he said raffishly..."So let's do something illegal like make love?" he said softly...
"There's nothing illegal about two people making love.." said Jade softly and seductively....
"No it's not...So let's go back to your place." he said.
"Let's not...but you hold on to that thought.." said Jade as she smiled and walked away...
He didn't notice at first...and then he did...
 Carlos was gone!!!!
 So was his American born daughter, Carlita
 Attorney Sofia Garcia
and myself..

We were driving through the Fishtown section of Philadelphia..

"This is where me and your future wifey

 were born and grew up.." said Sofia looking at her and Bee Bee's old hood..


I had grown up in West  Philly...same city, but a world away from here..

We finally arrived at the Church..

Where we dropped Carlita off!

with the Reverend and his wife..

Sofia hugged her and said...

''Don't worry baby girl...We aren't going to let anything happen to you or your daddy.. I promise you.. You'll be safe here.." said Sofia.




Shawn stomped his foot and ran out of the courtroom.. There was no sign of us...

I don't know where Carlos had gone...


Sofia and I and Carlita were headed from Fishtown , back to our apartment...

IV-
Finally with a chance to be alone with Bee Bee , Todd Dellums spoke..

"Damn Bee, you still look good girl.." he said.
"Thank you.." she said.. She didn't relish being alone with him or him talking like this...She didn't want him to think that it was going to lead to something...It wasn't.
''Apparently your boyfriend, Sofia and my star witness and his daughter have vanished." he mused.

"He hasn't gone far....Sofia and Keith are taking his daughter somewhere she'll be safe.." said Bee Bee.
"She's American.. She was born right here in Philadelphia.." said Todd.
"Shawn Columbsy is not above taking her into custody and using her to force her dad to turn himself in so he can be deported or imprisoned." said Bee Bee.
"He can't do that...He can't mess with my case...I'm going to have to talk with him...."said Todd..

Meanwhile Kahlil

 informed Yvette as to what had just gone down...
"You guys have got to be careful.. If he thinks you are harboring a fugitive he can bring you guys up on charges.." said Yvette.
"We aren't harboring Carlos...We just took his daughter someplace where she'll be safe..."said Kahlil..
"I don't want to know." said Yvette..
"I don't know...Neither does Bee Bee.."said Kahlil..
"Good." said Yvette.
Gary walked into the courtroom just then...

"Federal Court...I'm impressed." he said..
"Ahhh it's no big deal..."laughed Yvette..
''Want to go out for dinner?" he asked..
"No, I just want to go to your house.. Get out of this dress and these heels, take a nice long bath and cuddle up with you, that's all.." she said..
"Sounds good to me." said Gary, smiling...


He took Yvette in his arms and kissed her passionately..
"Bee, Maybe you and I can uh...Nahhh I guess we can't...You're in a relationship.." said Todd..

He saw Gary and Yvette kissing out of the side of his glance...He wished he could kiss Bee Bee like that...but he knew that that ship had sailed.. He didn't allow himself to be tortured with the thought.
"Yes Todd, I am...Nice seeing you again.." said Bee Bee.

V-
Later that afternoon...





Bee Bee and I, Sofia and Kahlil and Ms. Jade were relaxing in Bee Bee and Sofia's apartment when there came a loud knock on the door...Sofia went to the door.
"We do have a bell you know." she said to ICE agent Shawn Columbsy...
"WHERE IS CARLOS NATIVIDAD?" he bellowed..
"I don't know.. He wasn't with me." said Sofia...Which was the truth.. None of us knew where he was..
 ''Where is his daughter?" he demanded..
''Why? She's an American citizen. Born right here in Philadelphia.. You can't deport her." said Bee Bee.

"Don't tell me the law...I know the law.." he said..
"Well After all, she is a lawyer.. and the last time I checked... You're not!" I said..






We all busted out laughing...
''Think it's funny? I could charge all of you with Obstruction of Justice.. Conviction of  which could lead to disbarment and your license being pulled Jade.. Think it's funny now?" he screamed.
'' Take your phony charges and use that on frightened immigrants....You don't scare us.. You don't have a shred of proof we harbored or helped Carlos get away from you today....And taking his little girl somewhere, IF WE did do that is not a crime...She's an American citizen and not a witness to anything. She is completely out of your jurisdiction and you know it." said Kahlil.
"Once he has his green card, which he will have shortly....You can't touch him.." said Sofia.
"Bye Now.." said Bee Bee, shutting the door..
''What are you doing?" he said.
''She's shutting the door.. That's what people usually do when the conversation is over.." I said and slammed the door in his face and locked it.

"YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST FROM ME!" he said and stormed off..
"Jade, I don't know what you ever saw in that guy.." I said..


Bee Bee, Kahlil and Sofia cracked up...
So did Jade...but we knew he meant what he said...He'd be watching us closely.....

(TO BE CONTINUED)

2 comments:

Toni said...

WOW! Talk about pulled from today's headlines!

Angie B. said...

I'll say!