Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Safe Haven


I looked at Leon's cold lifeless body and a chill came to my body...This was real, four people were dead and the trail was leading to these two people who I didn't know. Sepia grabbed Cock's arm and began to shiver-

"Baby, I'm scared...I'm scared...
we gon die..." she whimpered like a child..

"Cock, get in your car...don't touch that car
and let's not hang around here..The cops are
going to be swarming around here soon and
I don't think you want to be here when they
get here..let's go..come on.." I said.

I didn't have to ask him twice... Cock got in his car and Sepia got in mine and we tore out of there. I had to go someplace that I knew would be safe...Someplace no one would look for us.
Who ever was killing these people was pretty effecient. They weren't leaving anything to chance.
They seemed to know where everybody involved was.. and they were on the move..I don't know if they knew about me or not. I decided to swing by my house.

I stopped by my house. There was no sign of a break in or anything out of the ordinary. Good, I was still an unknown player in the game. While in my house, I got my .45. I had a licensce to carry. I wasn't about to be caught up in this mess with no protection. I had an idea for a plan of action.

"Cock...your wife?
Veronica...did she have a lot of money?"

"Well yeah, but hey what are you gettin at?"

"You think she had enough to hire a private
Detective?" I asked.

"Kevin, what are you gettin at?" asked Sepia.

"Whoever is killing these people has a lot of information,
They knew your phone numbers, they knew about your
blog, they knew where all of the players in this drama lived
and they knew schedules...now that is something, only a
private detective can get them." I said.

"My wife wouldn't have done this man, she don't care about
me like that..." said Cock

"How can you be so sure?" I asked

"Because she got a man too..she was cheating on me
and I was cheating on her...She don't care to go after me
like that man.." He said.

"Cock was there any other woman you were seeing?" I asked.

Cock looked over at Sepia and said-

"Yeah...there was one other."

I could tell that he didn't want to talk about it in front of her and I didn't press him...I could find out later...right now I had to find a safe haven for us until I got more information. I called Hype
Magazine and told them that I was going to be gone for a few days...I told Cock to be cool that I
knew a place he could stay.

"I sure appreciate you doing me this solid Clerow." I said to my friend.

"It's kool Kevin..I own a couple of these properties...I rent em all
the time..Now that Cora Beth and I got the baby and all, I need all
the money I can get.."

"Clerow, it's just $100.00." I said.

"Thas alrright...one hundred dollars is one hundred dollars I didn't have."
said Clerow.

"Cock, you stay put and stay out of sight until we get back." I said.

"Where are you and Sepia going ?"He asked.

"The place where this mess started...East Orange." I said.

(To be continued......)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please have the next part loaded up
tomorrow...I am jonesing on this story now Keith.

Anonymous said...

I love the way this is all coming together...More, More, More Mr. Keith

SLC said...

Ladies at my job faithfully follow soap opera's. I never understood until I started reading Escapades. I'm buying the book, the DVD, seasons 1 2 3 .............

Seems like Cock didn't want Kevin leaving with his woman. He shouldn't worry since she's hooked on that weapon of (m)ass destruction.

Keith said...

@SLC- LOLOLOL....Thanks for your support. I have to thank my wife and fellow blogger Mizrepresent...I already had a blog- "Keith's Space" and was doing pretty good with that and she suggested that I start posting my poems and short stories..I thought that that would be too much to post on "Keith's Space" ,so one night in July..We came up with the idea for this little "boutique blog" as I call it.Mizrepresent had one -"Wildflower II , so I went about
setting this one up..It's named after my favorite Janet Jackson Song. "Escapades"

Anonymous said...

I always wondered what the significance of this Blog's Title was. Thanks for clearing that up.

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Oh yeah I forgot to say I love how you have woven your other characters from other short stories into this story!! Its like a soap opera, BUT WAAAAY BETTER!

-OG