Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Jackpot Question

It took me no time to find the warehouse...In a rough part of the city that resembled my present neighborhood a few years ago before reconstruction and redevelopment..
The Warehouse  was old and it smelled like urine and feces and it was empty...I spent a good hour and a half searching it..

The van was another story...It was freshly bleached .....and inside was a case...A case I suspected was used to transport the Jewelry....The doors were open...I looked inside the case..It was empty...But this was proof that whoever was in this van...Was at the airport and stole the jewels...

It didn't take long for me to realize that I wasn't alone.. Four tough guys approached me..

"Hey..what are you doing out here?" asked one..

"This case belongs to a friend of mine...It was in this van...Which was stolen...But I think you know that...Did you come back for the case?" I asked..

One guy smiled..

"He's pretty smart Lou."said the guy,,

"Yeah, too smart..." said the other guy...

"Let's show him what we do to smart guys.." said the other one..

I hated this...I should have brought Walter with me..

There was four of them...One of them got behind me...

He was a big hulking figure ..He  had a garrotte around my neck and was squeezing hard....It was a tall white man with soul less eyes...an old time playa from back in the day...

He was  strong as hell..He was squeezing the breath out of me and practically lifting me off of the ground...I took what strength I had left and kicked him in his groin as hard as I could...He grunted, but he loosened up his hold just enough for me to elbow him in his jaw, snapping his head back and sending him flying...

I didn't have the time to catch my breath before he was heading toward me....He,  was silent, didn't waste a lot of time talking..I liked that.

I landed some good lefts and rights to his body, but he was equally good with his hands...he landed some good lefts and rights to mine...I countered and landed some lefts and rights to his face, but he equaled me with some well placed lefts and rights to mine...

What I had in my favor was that he was older and I could feel him getting winded...I cracked him hard in his jaw and saw blood trickle from his mouth...I cracked him again and saw the sweat fly off of his face...I hit him in his stomach and he bent down in obvious pain..I landed some more lefts and rights to his jaw which sent him into the wall...and down on the ground He went....He lay there for a minute...still conscious and  breathing heavy...I was holding my neck and still gasping for air...

The second one lunged toward me...He had a knife and brass knuckles.. He lunged at me with the knife...I ducked and placed a well thrown kick to his jaw...he dropped the knife.. He swung at me with the brass knuckles...I used a nearby trashcan to block it...Breaking all of his fingers on that hand..He moaned in pain....

I hit him with several lefts and rights to his face until his face was a bloody mess and he fell to the ground....

The third guy  was  huge..bigger than me...He hit me first and knocked me down...

Like I said he was a huge , heavily muscled and bald headed white man who  was about to stomp me....I grabbed his foot and twisted it and sent him falling to the ground.....I managed to get to my feet ,but I was in extreme pain....He charged at me..I crouched and I landed about 12 good lefts and rights to his face.....I caught him with an uppercut that damn near ripped his head off and then clocked him in his jaw and sent him flying.... He quickly got to his feet and charged me again...throwing haymakers...I dodged them all and ripped his midsection with well placed lefts and rights and then cold cocked him in his jaw, sending him spinning around...I attempted a swift kick to his solar plexus , but he caught my foot , twisted my leg and sent me flying to the ground again.....

He lifted me up by my neck and put his massive hands around my neck..I kicked him as hard as I could in his privates and he let me go...I again punished his midsection with 10-12 lefts and rights and then planted more lefts and rights to his face...He fell to the ground.....I thought I had time to catch my breath....but he was up again and charging at me...I picked up an old trash can that was sitting in the corner and smashed him over his head repeatedly..... and down he went with a crash.. he didn't get back up! In fact...his head was bleeding profusely! he was breathing heavily...... I grabbed his collar and pulled my .38 smokeless out and stuck it in his ribs...

I took his gun off of him...All of the fight was gone from him...

But there was a fourth guy....

He Punched me in the jaw.... I was stunned...He tried to throw another haymaker, but I blocked his second punch and landed a hard punch to his jaw...He swung wildly again..I blocked this punch and tore his mid section up with a series of lefts and rights...

He charged at me..I crouched and I landed about 12 good lefts and rights to his face.....I caught him with an uppercut that damn near ripped his head off and then clocked him in his jaw and sent him flying.... He quickly got to his feet and charged me again...throwing haymakers..Why do these big fat guys always throw haymakers??..They practically telegraph their punches and they leave themselves open?

His mouth and nose were bleeding profusely and his left eye was swollen shut.. I hit him with some nice lefts and rights to his face which was becoming unrecognizable.....He was wheezing and breathing heavy now..He swung again and missed me by a mile..I landed more lefts and rights with laser like precision....I had gotten my second wind now..

I dodged his wild swings  and ripped his midsection with well placed lefts and rights and then cold cocked him in his jaw, sending him spinning around...I attempted a swift kick to his solar plexus , but he caught my foot , twisted my leg and sent me flying to the ground... I quickly got to my feet .I nailed him with several left and right jabs to his jaw...His head was going from side to side..

He wasn't in good shape either  and was wheezing and blowing and my next punch sent him flying .

Before he could get up... A .357 magnum was placed at his temple.. I heard the click!  HE DID TOO!

"It's all over for you Baby Blue.." came the familliar voice of Walter "Kool Kat" Jones, Kool Kat punched him one time and it was good night nurse..He collapsed like a sack of potatoes..


''Walter...What are you doing here?" I asked.

I looked and saw Bonnie...She had her .22 drawn....She wouldn't need it!

"Apparently we came to the same conclusion...I hacked into the Airport and Street Cams and found this van leaving the airport too and then used the Traffic and Street cams to trace it to here.. This van was stolen weeks ago...I called you, but you didn't answer, So I got Mr. Jones to come with me."said Bonnie..

"Kool Kat looked at the four men, Faces swollen...eyes nearly closed..Lips busted and swollen, semi conscious and shook his head...

''Show off!  You could have at least saved me one or two.." he said laughing that sinister grin..I was glad to see them both.....





II-

We tied the four goons up and I called The detective friend I had made at Auto Theft...

I was certain he was interested in the van...

"Thank you Kevin.....I was looking for this van...as well as these four guys...Professional car thieves
 as well as Meth dealers.... These are some pretty tough guys....You did this by yourself? He said...Looking at the shape the four of them was in...

One had a broken hand, All of them had bloody ,swollen faces...busted lips...eyes nearly closed..

 "I had some help.." I said, pointing to
 Kool Kat
And Bonnie Shay...

We watched as they were read their rights and put in police cars...

"Thanks again Kevin..." said the Auto Theft detective..

They took the van too... but I kept the case...

III-



We sat in Sam Mother's Diner the next morning..





 Sepia and I had French Toast


Both Walter and Bonnie
 had Cheddar Omelets..
 We all had Hash Browns
 Sausage
And Coffee...

"Heard you guys had some wing ding last night...Busted up a car theft ring.."said Sepia..

"They sold meth too...but it was a bust...That was the van that looted the plane and they were the guys who stole it and took the jewels...but they were paid to do it by an old white guy, they said..They didn't know his name...He paid them in cash to steal the van two weeks ago and told them to be in the airport at a certain time to pick up the jewels ,which they say they gave to a woman...driving a white 2020 Camry...

They don't know who  she was, but she paid them the remainder of their money...They gave her the jewels and they all went their separate ways.That's all we got." I said.

"We have the case...but no jewels...We are looking for a woman and an old white man...That could be anybody..."said Bonnie..

"The Jewels are here in the city somewhere...and you know that at least two people were involved in the conspiracy..."said Kool Kat...

"Just don't know who....and there is still the mystery of who landed that plane.." I said.

"They never said anybody got off of that plane did they?" asked Sepia..

"They sure didn't...but somebody had to land that plane..."I said.

"Maybe they stayed hidden."said Bonnie..

''Why? The whole crew was knocked out...Why do that?" asked Kool Kat...


''
So Many questions." I said, smiling as we all continued to eat...

IV-

I hadn't seen my frenemy , Stephen Bristol in a few years...


Stephen Bristol...a mover and a shaker with a somewhat shaky background...He was one of the wealthiest Black men in Philadelphia...He had made his fortune supposedly from playing the stock market...but the streets told a different story...He had a network of people who gave him information...inside information that he used to make just the right moves...Yes...It was insider trading...but he got out before the SEC or The FBI even knew his name..He got out with a pile of money...

He was also a notorious gambler ,who played in a number of high stakes card games and won a pile.....and he had his hand in every hip new thing that came down the pike... It was said that he had ties to the underworld...but if he did...It was never proven...He had no criminal record whatsoever....but it was known..He was not to be crossed...He was about my age...Tall, thin, brown skinned, well cut hair..manicured nails and was a sharp dresser...Wore tailor made suits, expensive shoes, expensive fresh smelling cologne and drove a mint colored Bently with his name monogramed on it...


Kool Kat and I found him at his club, one of a few that he owns.

He motioned for us to join him at the bar.... He called the Bartender....

"Whatever they want...It's on the house.." he said... "I figured I'd be seeing you sooner or later..Bonnie told me that you've been helping her.." he said..

A round of beers came our way....

He was dapper as usual..Great tailored suit..Nice fragrance..

"Kevin, I want those jewels back and safely stored...They are worth millions.." he said.

"They are yours?" I asked.



"I won the rights to them in a high stakes Poker Game...The Gambler, a man from Atlanta that I do business with gave them to me..." he said.

"This guy Acker, he with you?" I asked..

He was the second one to pass out..

"He's a business associate....He put me in touch with the gambler who lost the diamonds...He was bringing them to me..I had them insured by Cyclops Insurance..He was to pass them to Bonnie Shay,who was to secure them.."said Stephon..

"Only something went wrong....Somebody drugged the two pilots, Acker and his young companion..Quinton..." I said.
''Well who landed the plane?" asked Stephen...

"That's the Jackpot question...Nobody seems to know." said Kool Kat..

"What I do know is that a white van ,stolen two weeks ago was seen racing from the airport...I found the white van and the four goons who stole the diamonds.."I said.. I passed him the case.
''Yeah? Well...What else.?" he asked.



"They stole the diamonds off the plane...They said they were paid by an old white man with white hair...He paid them in advance in cash....He told them where to be...They arrived at the airport ,boarded the plane, stole the jewels and passed them to a young woman driving a new white Camry..she in turned paid them the balance and that was that." I said.



''Where are these guys now?" Stephen asked.



"They're in jail..Auto theft and sale and distribution of Meth..."I said.



"Well you've gotten closer than I thought..." he said.

He peeled off 50G's and passed it to me..

"Kevin, I want those diamonds found...do what you've got to do..But find them..." he said,

I now had a paying client..

I put 25G's in Kool Kat's pocket...
"My man...That's why I rolls with you...You know how to put money in a brother's pockets.." he whispered.

"I'll ask around...I'll check the fences...Somebody has got to know where those rocks are..." I said.

He patted me on the back...

"Thank you Kevin...Excuse me....I've got a lady friend awaiting me..." he said and got up and left.."The Bartender has been instructed to give you and Walter whatever you want to drink and as long as you want to drink...It's on the house." he said.

 "Gotta love a dude like that.."said Kool Kat...
"Kools that plane..Either somebody on that plane was hiding or one of those four guys is lying..but even if I determine who landed the plane..Somebody has those rocks and I need to know who.." I said..

"Like I said Buddy...That's the Jackpot Question."said Kool Kat..

We ordered another round of beers and quietly listened to the music...

(TO BE CONTINUED)






No comments: