Monday, December 10, 2018

Guy Jumps Off A Bridge

INTERLUDE-

SAN FRANCISCO BAY, EARLY MORNING!

"We got a floater Jim." came the voice of the Captain on the Marine Police Boat..

"I'm so sick of people doing headers off of the Golden Gate Bridge...It gives the area a bad name..."said A Detective on the boat...

"I know...but people have been doing it since the thirties..." said The Captain...

"This one looks like somebody important...Look at the suit..." said a Marine Cop..

"Reel him in.." said the Captain...
The Team brought the body up on the shore...

"Holy Crap!"said the Detective..

"You know this guy?" asked the Captain..

"Sure do...This is Assistant District Attorney , Nevel Benson....from San-Francisco..."said the Detective...

"Damn...I was hoping this would be Oakland's problem....I mean he's out far enough in the water to say it's them.."said a Marine Police man..

"Nah..He's one of ours...Damniit!"said the Detective...






II-

A soft rain fell from the sky as we departed from the plane...It seemed like we were always in San Francisco late in the year....
"I'm Donnie Ray Alexander, former New Orleans Homicide Detective, Now an Investigator for my wife, Attorney Olivia Bennett-Alexander and her niece
Attorney Beverly West-East's .
law firm...

It had been a long time since just the three of us had traveled somewhere...

"I don't see Larry....We might have to catch a cab.."said my wife Olivia..

"I see him...There he is by his car."said Beverly...

Larry North got out of his car and walked toward us...He helped the girls with their bags...

He hugged Olivia, lifted her up and spun her around..

"Olivia...Thank you for coming out...You look great as usual..."he said..

"Put me down crazy mannnnnn."said Olivia,laughing...

He smiled at me and grabbed my hand..

"Donnie Rayyy, what's happenin man?" he said,laughing..

"I can't call it...You look like you got the hot hand...Nice Suit..."I said..He was wearing a very exotic, tailored suit..

"I gotta keep up with you mannnn.." he laughed...

Then he turned his attention to Beverly...

"Lawwwwwwwwwwd girl, you look good enough to eat..My goodness.."he exclaimed..

"Hello Larry.."said Beverly ,who was used to this from him...

At least they were civil..

He looked around..

"So uh where is your better half?" he asked..

"My husband will be coming in tomorrow...

He was in the penalty phase of a trial he was trying..

Josie is coming in with him too...She's in Law school now.."said Beverly...

"Ohhhh he lost one huh?" said Larry North, smiling wryly..


"Can't win em all....He plans to appeal..He wasn't the lead attorney..he was second chair for a friend of his.."said Beverly expecting to hear one of Larry's condescending remarks...

To her surprise...There was none...

"I've been in that position myself ...It's no fun....So your Girl Friday is in law school huh? That is outstanding..She's learned from the best." he said..
"She's in an accelerated program for advanced students at Drexel..."said Olivia..

"I know somebody that did that, you know him too Livy....Sam Drysdale..Remember him? Damn good Attorney too! He was like Josie..He had worked as a Para legal for four years for a noted Attorney...He knew everything.. School was just a formality.. Well, my car is right outside...You guys will be staying at another AirBNB....I heard you had a nice one in Houston.." he said..

"The one we had in Boston wasn't too bad either..."said Olivia.

"Well this one is nice...It's near a lot of nice restaurants and a few bars.." he said..

Beverly whispered to me..

"Something about Larry is different." she said.

"Yeah,I know...He hasn't tried to grope you or made any sexually suggestive remarks, nor has he attacked Nelson.. But the day is still new..We have to get in the car...I'll ride up front.."I said..

"I love you...Always looking out for me...You always have...but I'll ride up front..I'm a big girl and I'm married..I'll handle him.."said Beverly...
"You sure?" I asked..

"Yup, go hug my Auntay." she said and laughed..
I grabbed Olivia and squeezed her tight..

"Nothing I'd love better."I said..and kissed her on the cheek.

Olivia giggled like a school girl..

Larry North smiled..

III-
Beverly sat up front with Larry North...
He stared at her...I mean he was after all human...And she is attractive...But there were no smart remarks and he didn't try to grope her or put his arm around her hips or pull her towards him...

 Olivia sat in the back seat....She smiled..
I sat in amazement...
As we drove, Larry began to talk..

"Syl is uh engaged....I don't know if you've talked to her lately.."he said..

"No I haven't.." said Olivia..

''She and this uh guy...They left the Innocence Project....They work for the ACLU here in San Francisco...She sold her house...She uh moved!!!

She and the guy and my daughter bought a place in Daly City...It's near by...I go to visit or pick up my daughter every two weeks..."He said...He seemed sad!

"I uh saw your father ,Bev..He and your uh Step-Mother are in Greece...She's filming a movie.."he said,changing the subject.

"Yeah he told me they wouldn't be here, when I told him we were coming out.."said Beverly...
Beverly was right...Something was definitely off center about Larry...His old swagger, his old superior attitude was all but gone...It was as if something had died inside of him...He seemed dead inside..Sad even.
Losing Sylvia, the mother of his child and seeing Beverly married had broken him ,it seemed..All the wind was out of his sails..It seemed sad...

How I'd feel if I ever lost Liv...
"Listen...I'll let you guys get situated...and I'll take you to a nice jazz club tonight...Good food there too and we'll talk about this case...I brought you guys out because the ADA...Nevel Benson is a real piece of work...Real tough guy...But we can handle him Liv..." he said..

''What am I, chopped liver?" asked Beverly playfully..

He smiled and looked at her lustfully...

"You most certainly are not...I'm sorry....You ,Liv and I can handle this guy..."laughed Larry diplomatically...

"I was just playing Larry."said Beverly..

This was the most civil I had seen these two in awhile...
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop..

IV- 
 Larry drove us up to our AirBNB....
"I've got to get used to these hilly streets in San Francisco.,.."said Olivia,laughing...
"Yeah...Me too Auntay.."said Beverly..

Larry North laughed..

''Spoken like two Philly girls on the West Coast.."he said. He sounded like his old self for the first time..


 I laughed....
Larry North helped us unload our luggage  inside..

''Woww, nice place you got...Who did you say sprung for this?" he asked..
"My girlfriend is an Associate Attorney at Conner /Mcklusky/Cozen and Pratt, Attorneys at Law....They own places like this in several cities....She gave me the pass keys to this place...They owned the one we used when we were in Houston.." said Olivia..

" Conner /Mcklusky/Cozen and Pratt, Attorneys at Law. That's the firm uh Ms. Beatrice Evans works for..isn't it?" asked Larry..

"It is.. Her supervisor, Yvette Jones is my dear friend..


"We were room mates in Law School.."said Olivia..

"Yes..I talked to Ms. Jones...Nice lady! We face timed each other a few weeks back...I initially tried to get them to come out here..but her people were all busy helping you guys with a class action suit..Nobody was available..I was lucky to get you guys out here.." he said..
I whispered to Beverly...

"Maybe he's over you finally..." I said..


 "That would be sooo nice...He's actually a lot of fun when he's not being a butt head.." whispered Beverly to me..We both laughed...
"Wow.. there are enough rooms in here for eight people....but I imagine you good people will only use three rooms...You've got a law library, two 40 inch monitors...Siri, some laptops..Wow...Maybe I should move back to Philly and get a job with them.."laughed Larry North...
"I don't see you doing that Larry...You like California....It's a very likable place..."said Olivia..

"Yeahhhh it's alright...Like most places , you eventually get tired of it.."said Larry North, who looked around..

''Well...Let me go...Let me let you guys freshen up....I'll see you guys tonight ...When I come back...You'll like the place I'm taking you.." he said.

 ''We always do!" said Beverly with a smile..

Larry smiled at her...and was on his way...
Olivia looked at Beverly...

"Wowwwww..Maybe he's over you finally neicey...He sat in the front seat of the car with you and didn't try to grope you...Didn't pull you towards him...Wasn't putting his arms around you and didn't make one sexually suggestive remark.."said Olivia..

 "I knowwwwwwwwwwww...He was very nice...Maybe this will be a good visit..."said Beverly...
I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop...

V-
Larry North didn't disappoint..He took us to a very nice restaurant that served Pan Asian Cuisine..
 And Citris Martinis...
Like the girls liked..
''Larry this food is delish...and the drinks are great too."said Beverly...
"Yessssssssssss..Larry I love it...You rival my husband here with knowing great places to dine and drink.."said Olivia.

"Heyyy, this is his town...He's the man here.." I said.

"I thought you guys would like it..Uhh Bev..Tonight your food and drinks are on me.."said Larry North..
"Oh Larry No..You don't have to do that.."said Beverly...

"I insist..I kind of owe you that from a few years ago in Texas and in San Diego....I got you tonight.." he said..

"Uhh You sure?" asked Beverly...

"Yes..Put your card away...I got you.." he said  and he gave the waitress Beverly's check and his and paid for both with his credit card..

"Thank you Larry..." said Beverly..who was in disbelief.

He smiled..He looked at me and Olivia..

"I promised you I'd discuss this case...Well as I said..The ADA, Nevel Benson and I have squared off in court three times..With him winning the first time..Me winning the second time and Him winning the third..I don't plan to lose this case...I just can't afford to..Which is why I brought you guys out here..I'll need your husbands knack at screening and picking a jury as well Beverly.." he said..
Beverly looked at me..

"Who is that and what have the aliens done with Larry North????..He's never given Nelson a compliment.."said Beverly...


 "Yes...That is surprising."I said.
Even Olivia was astonished...
Your phone is vibrating man....You'd better take that.." I said..Smiling at what Beverly had said.

"Excuse me."said Larry North..

"WHAT?  WHEN? This morning??  I was at the airport...I was picking up the uh attorneys from Philly who are going to be on my team...WHATTTTTTTTTTT? The Judge has granted us a continuance...?OH this is great! Not that he's dead!!!!..but that we have some time...Who is going to take his place...?? What's her name?? Teel? What kind of name is that?  She's an ADA???...Teel Porter huh??? I've never heard of her...She must be new..Well anyway...Thanks for the heads up.." said Larry who smiled..

''Who was that? Any trouble?" asked Olivia.

"That was another Attorney from my office...I hate to say this is good news...but we won't be facing Nevel Benson..."said Larry North.
"Oh No?" asked Beverly...

"No...He committed suicide this morning...Jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge.!!!!..They fished him out of the bay this morning...I was with you guys..I didn't get the news.."said Larry..
"Ohhhh man...So who will we be facing?" I asked.

"Somebody named Teel...Teel Porter...What kind of name is that?" said Larry,laughing..

Olivia and Beverly looked at each other and smiled.. Some of Larry was still there, they must have thought..
I smiled a little bit..
(TO BE CONTINUED)



10 comments:

Angie B. said...

Larry North seems to be a broken man...Losing both Syl and Beverly has done that to him...

Toni said...

With the Holidays coming...Larry probably feels meloncholly...He's Lost Beverly and Sylvia..

George S. said...

I'm wondering what the suicide of the ADA has to do with all of this...I'm sure you'll elaborate or we'll see..

Sunflower said...

I think it's a way to introduce a new charactor...This Teel Porter woman..Could she be Larry's new love interest???

Lisa said...

Great Minds Think alike Sunflower...That was in the back of my mind!

Halo said...

Don't like this new kinder gentle Larry North...Ilove the spats between him and Beverly.

Vanessa said...

People change....People evolve...Larry North would look silly still chasing after Beverly after this time..She's married now...Sylvia is living with a new guy...He may be hurt...He may have taken account of his past behavior and trying to change.

Rita said...

Larry North seems to be a broken man...Losing both Syl and Beverly has done that to him...but I'm betting he bounces back!

Cheryl said...

I like the new Larry North! LOL!

Brenda said...

I feel sorry for Larry North, As obnoxious as he is...I felt sorry for him...