Wednesday, January 22, 2020

In Bad Faith

Early Morning... Honolulu....





 The smell of Fresh waffles
and hot coffee permeated that large kitchen area in our Air BNB..



Gary and I prepared breakfast this morning...Nelson made coffee...




and we smiled as the rest of the crew wandered in...

 "Goooood Morning everybody..." said Olivia..
 "Gooood Morning." said Beverly...
 "Smells great...Mmmmmm Let me get some coffee." said Yvette..
 Josie was busy laying out case files in all the areas we would be working...
 Paris poured them a cup of coffee and took a seat....He was tickled pink to be traveling with us...
 Keith Jones took a seat...
 His girlfriend, Bee Bee Evans took a seat too, right next to him, she sleepily leaned her head on his shoulder...

Sofia yawned and sleepily leaned her head on Kahlil's shoulders..

He smiled, pleased as punch...

 Waffles and bacon were served...
as well as coffee....

Jade, who got in pretty late...Long after we had all gone to bed...was the last one to the table..She got up and opened the door when the bell rang...

It was the Public Defender, Jacqueline Bleu...She had two suitcases and a laptop....She had taken us up on our offer to stay with us and work on the case..

''Wow you guys have a nice set up here..." she said..


"We've got our own private beach, everything.."joked Olivia...

Which was true...We were far from the main tourist beaches...


"Join us for breakfast...There's more than enough..."said Beverly...who poured more pancake batter on the waffle iron....It was ours...we knew we would be staying at an Air BNB and Beverly wanted waffles, so she brought it along with our laptops and other devices...


"WOWWWWW!  You guys have a full refrigerator full of food.."said Jacqueline..

"We stopped at the Market in town and did all of our shopping before we got here."said Sofia.

"Good...because if I know right...Swift and Swain are turning this rock upside down looking for you guys...All of your purchases are within the city and not out here...They won't know where you're staying...If was you...Take those rental cars back soon and rent from another dealer...."she said..She pulled out a card...

"This place..They are confidential...They'll need a search warrant to get any information on you from them." she said..

"That's a good idea." I said as I fixed her a plate and passed her a cup of coffee.


II-

They broke into teams...

Yvette was coordinating the entire thing...She felt funny running the whole show...She was so used to Olivia running everything..

 "It's time Yvette got some shine...I'm always running everything...I don't want her to think that it's the Olivia show all the time.." she told me in our room last night..
"You're a good friend.."I said..

''Vettie's like my sister.She's an only child...Me and Bev and Jimmy and Kayla were the only family she had when we were in law school...She loved my family...My Mom and dad thought of her as another daughter." said Olivia..

"I thought Beverly was your sister." I said..

"Oh she is...but she's my baby sister...Vettie and I are the same age..."explained Olivia.
''I see, there is a difference." I said.


 "Look at this..Even if we exclude the drug tampering.. There is evidence that there was huge prosecutorial mis conduct...Witness statements that the jury never heard...And these statements place my client in a completely different area other than the scene of the crime."said Keith Jones..
 "Same with my client....Missing witness statements...Jurors made statements that should have excluded them during the trial...Challenges were totally ignored..And this DNA evidence is faulty at best..."said Bee Bee..
 ''You know, Lt. Tragg takes short cuts and misses things...but even he doesn't intimidate witnesses, leave things out...Look at this...There is evidence here that evidence may have been planted...Witness statements that were never heard by the jury and Faulty DNA evidence as well as drug tampering...I can't believe the jury convicted on this weak crap.."said Sofia..
"You know the drill, overworked....underpaid and understaffed....No money for investigators or a para-legal and many times...the Attorney is fresh out of law school...Not seasoned enough.." said Kahlil..

"Unlike of course you guys.."said Yvette, smiling like a proud mother, listening to her young charges..


"That is what happens...They hit the nail with the hammer on that...I've been fighting for reform in the Public defenders office for years...

"Honeyyyyyy, You're preaching to the choir...I did the same thing when I was a Public defender...Luckily..I got to mentor these two, pointing to Beverly and Nelson..My Niece and her husband..


and I kept them pure, kept them from being jaded as long as I possibly could...."said Olivia..


"Your Niece and Your Niece's husband...wow....Now they work with you huh? Nice..."said Jacqueline , who brought them more case files  and documents dealing with her client..

"Tomorrow we'll go see him...He's in the state Prison at Oahu...serving a life sentence...He's no choir boy, but he's no murderer either..."said Jackie..

"My colleagues at the Public Defenders office called me... DA Swift and his crony Harry Swain were by looking for me..Raising a ruckus...They want me too...It's good that I am here with you guys.."she said.

"Jack Swift was the ADA who prosecuted these five cases huh?" I said.

"He was young, ambitious...

He was already campaigning to be District Attorney.....

Detective Harry Swain was his buddy...At the time, he was a Narcotics Detective.. These four guys were in the drug world...but they weren't major players...They probably were guilty of crimes....Of this I have no doubt...but if you're going to take somebody down, take em down right...Don't frame people.."said Jacqueline Bleu..



"Sounds like a girl after my own heart."said Gary...

 "Auntay, look at this...There were witnesses, who never testified that our client was indeed having a consensual sexual affair with the victim just like he said...The murder weapon, the gun not only didn't have his fingerprints on it as originally stated..but no DNA either.."said Beverly..
"I see, the report says inconclusive..."said Olivia..

"At best we can win him a new trial..."said Nelson...


"Or throw it out...Here's something you don't know...It's not on the record...I interviewed a guy..Jason Friante..says that the murdered woman's fiancé...an Ex-Cop was in prison with him...and confessed that he killed his fiancé because she was cheating on him.....He was bragging to him trying to get him to let him join a prison gang he was in for protection..."said Jacqueline..

''Why wasn't this in the official record? Why didn't he testify?" I asked.
"Because he was in prison...He could have been killed ..but the District Attorney knew about him...His testimony...He purposely chose to ignore him...Didn't even interview him...He wanted to put my client in prison...Wanted his case to go down as easy and smooth as possible..He and Detective Swain are cut from the same cloth!"said Jacqueline..

"I knew Detectives and ADA's like that when I was a Homicide Detective in New Orleans...That's part of the reason I am where I am now...Working for Defense Attorneys." I said.

Olivia held me so tight ,I could feel her body heat....

She kissed me softly, sweetly....

"And I am blessed for it...." she said...

Jacqueline smiled..

"You can still make your husband blush....That is so adorable." she said..

"Is he in jail now?" asked Jade..

"No...he's out on parole...he's still alive...I know where to find him.." said Jackie..
"Then by all means...We need to talk to him.." said Gary....

Josie, though she was technically on the investigation team, was busy researching predicates and passing documents to our team..



and to Yvette's team..




Keith, Bee Bee, Sofia and Kahlil , who were hard at work studying their cases....



Gary, Jade and I had our work cut out for us...we took off ready to hit the streets

and run down these people..

III-

Jade thought about the night before...

Judge Kim Hyung brought her into his apartment...

"You weren't followed here were you?" he asked.

"No..." she said..

"I shouldn't be telling you this...but District Attorney Swift is turning this city upside down searching for you and your associates...He wants to shut this whole thing down... He's running for State Senate..
His political enemies get a whiff that he acted in Bad Faith and he's done...Which would be good...The man is corrupt..I've known that for years...but I never could prove it...I want him gone..."said the Judge..

"It was you!!!!...You put a bug in Jackie Bleu's ear...." said Jade.

"Yes it was me!!...That's our little secret..I have to be impartial...I can't appear to be involved...Even Jackie Bleu doesn't know I was her pipeline..Like I said,..That's our secret...I've been feeding her information about these bad cases in relation to her client for about a year now..  I knew the Public Defender's Office, as understaffed and under paid as they were couldn't help, So I reached out secretly to the Innocence Project in San-Francisco....Larry North and Richard Copeland got the ball rolling as much as they could..Then they reached out to your associates in Philly...I had no idea you were involved in this until I saw you in my courtroom.." said the Judge..

"We've shared a lot of secrets Kim...I owe you...You hid me from that ICE Agent that was pursuing me.."said Jade..

"I did...What a jackass, Shawn Columbsy…"said The Judge...

"I made my way to Philadelphia on the East Coast...These people helped me get my citizenship and gave me a job as investigator for their law firm...ICE couldn't do anything about it.." said Jade..

"You're a citizen now!!...Outstanding..."said Judge Hyung who pulled Jade to him and kissed her softly..

"I've waited so long to do this Jade.." he said as they kissed passionately...

"I know you have and I owed it to you.."said Jade, who returned his passion and returned his passionate kisses....

Jade didn't mean to, but she and the Judge wound up in bed...making sweet love..

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh JADEEEEEE, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH " he moaned...

The people in his apartment were astounded at the sounds they heard coming from his window..

The Bed was squeaking uncommonly loud...the headboard was rattling...

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jade....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.." he moaned..
.
'Ouuuuuuuuuuuu....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Oh my god Jade, you're driving me crazy..."moaned Judge Kim Hyung....

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love me , Love me long time  daddy, work me like a job...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, oh my goodness..." moaned Jade...

 "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" he yelled.. '

''Judge Kim please!!! It is a secret I am here and the window is open...you want everybody to know we are up here doin hibbity bibbity?" said Jade..

"The what?  I don't care if the world knows how good I feel right now ...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Jadeeeee" he moaned..

She laughed... ''Glad you're enjoying yourself..but I do care....I don't want anyone to know I'm here...Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, love me long time daddy...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" she giggled..

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh JADEEEEE, you feel so damn goooooodddddddddd, ummmmmmmmm."

The bed was squeaking out of control and the headboard was slamming up against the wall so hard, the paint and the plaster was coming off...

"Ouuuuu love me long time daddy.." she said in a girlish voice...

''Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...oh Jade...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu give it to meee, give it to me strong....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" he moaned... 

FIVE TO SIX HOURS went by.... They both climaxed hard....

After Jade showered....Judge Hyung was still kissing her passionately in the door of his bathroom...

"Jade, I wished you didn't have to go...oh my godddddd...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu" he said showering her with soft kisses...

"I have to Kim.....For many reasons...This shouldn't have happened....There is someone else in my life...on the mainland..in Philadelphia.."said Jade..

"I figured by now...you would have found someone new...I'm just glad to have had you tonight.." said Judge Kim Hyung..





Jade smiled at the memory of the night she had shared with the Judge in our case...He had given her some more documents, pertinent to our case...She planned to share them with the rest of us..

Mean
Meanwhile at the D.A.'s office, Investigator Harry Swain Returns...

"I can't believe this...They're not at any hotels or motels...None of the owners of any of the Air BNB's that I talked to reported having that many people staying in their places...No sign of em anywhere..I checked their credit and debit card information...They were in town last night...Dining at the Aqua Buffett and they shopped at all the local places and even bought groceries..but there is no sign of em in town..They gotta be here somewhere." he said..

"Their rental cars...They rented a car or something from the Airport..." said James Swift..

"They did and they returned em….They're pretty cagey!"said  Harry Swain..."I'm still huntin...I'll find em.." he said..

"You'e got to find em soon, the hearing is the day after tomorrow..."said the D.A.

And at our Air BNB...

 "This case is riddled with enough inconsistancies to warrant throwing this entire verdict out.."said Olivia..
 "I can't believe a jury convicted on this weak crap..."said Beverly...
 "Would you add possible jury tampering to the mix?" asked Nelson..
''After all this time...It would be extremely difficult to prove.."said Josie..

''She's right...but we've got enough...We finally have enough to argue this and get this whole thing tossed out...Maybe he won't need a new trial.."said Jackie..

"You might be right...I found your witness...I have a tape recorded and signed affidavit from him...I told him to keep a low profile..."I said..

"Bravo."said Yvette...


"Jade and I located all of your unheard witnesses...It took some talking but we have tape recordings and signed affadavits…" said Gary...

Jade passed Olivia and Yvette another document...

 ''How did you get this Jade?" asked Olivia..
''Did this have something to do with where you went last night?" asked Yvette..

Jackie looked at it ...her eyes grew wide...

"I had a pipeline that was feeding me information I wouldn't have gotten otherwise..I never lnew who it was...I suspect it was someone in the D.A.'s office...someone who hates their boss as much as I do."said Jackie..

"Ask me no questions...I tell you no lies."said Jade..

 "Works for me."said Beverly...
 "I'm right there with ya Bev."said Keith Jones..
 "If it helps with these five cases and we didn't do anything illegal..what's the problem?" asked Bee Bee..
 "Yeah?" asked Sofia..
 "We should safeguard all of this stuff."said Kahlil.
 "You're right..Let's put this on a Zip drive...Three Zip Drives just in case we are compromised..
'And I've got an idea..Let's have Paris take out a safe deposit box...Whoever is after us didn't see him...Doesn't know he's here... He could hide at least one, one we could be sure of.."said Josie..

"That's an excellent idea...I'll hide the other.."I said.."And only I'll know where it is.."I said.

"Everything else is locked in the strong box we have here."said Yvette..

''When you guys are ready...Let me know...I'll go into town." said Paris..

"Enough work for today folks... Beach timmmmmmmmmmmme!"said a jubilant Yvette..

''She's my kind of boss!"laughed Olivia..

IV-

We retreated to the beach....which was just a block away from where we were staying... For the past day and a half, we had been working on these messed up cases hard...


Olivia, Yvette, Jackie, Myself , Gary and Jade found a nice table...

 "Oh this is so nice and relaxing....I've got to get some photos of us all."said Olivia..
 "God this is soooooo much like a vacation..."said Yvette..
 "Everybody that comes here says that.."laughed Jackie.. who told us she was originally from San-Francisco...Had gotten her law degree from UCLA Law School, been engaged...it didn't work and she relocated to Honolulu and began working for the Public Defenders Office a year ago..
 "Man....I'm loving this.."I said.
 "Me and you both...I'm going to hate it when this thing is over."said Gary...
"I hate to say it...but I am too."said Jade..

We enjoyed some nice grilled steaks and cole slaw and good beers...





The youngins went swimming...Soon afterwords they joined us at another table.. Beverly, Bee Bee, Sofia, Josie, Keith, Kahlil, Nelson and Paris..

 "These Grilled Steaks are delish...Aren't they?" said Beverly....
 "Ummmm Hmmmm is this Hawaiian Cuisine?" joked Bee Bee...
 "I don't know and I don't care....I just know it's good.."said Sofia..
 "It is.....This is soooo nice.."said Josie..
 "Things to make memories out of huh?" said Keith Jones, who hugged Josie..
 "That's why I'm taking a lot of pictures and drinking a lot of beer." joked Kahlil..
 Nelson spit his beer out laughing at that remark...
Paris, who was actually taking the most photos of all of us concurred..

 "You know Vettie...I'm mostly happy for them...The kids...They getting to experience this travel and this fun..."said Olivia..
"And the fellowship....We all just love hanging out with you guys..whether it's work or play."laughed Yvette..

"Hate to put a downer on everything...but tomorrow will be work..We have to go up to the prison to interview our client.."I said..

"I'll be going to...I'm going to try and get his entire case thrown out and get him released on bail."said Jacqueline...

"Yeah Vettie and you guys are going to be in court...Arguing those cases...."said Gary..

"Yeah...the work begins...At least we are enjoying ourselves now...And that makes this whole trip worth it! Me in Hawaii...Can you imagine that?" said Yvette..

"I couldn't imagine that micro bikini you had on under your sundress...It's driving me wild."whispered Gary to her..

Yvette smiled and rubbed his hands softly...."That's why I bought it.."she said.
Such a beautiful day...….

While Elsewhere....

District Attorney James Swift smiled as some of the backers of his up coming run for State Senate left his office...

He turned his attention to his investigator, Harry Swain..

"Still no location on these lawyers yet?" he asked..

"No...and they were smart enough to turn off the GPS tracking devices on their phone...They gotta be somewhere around they have to...It's just a matter of time before I locate em.." he said.

"Never mind that, it may be way too late...They have probably already began making their cases...It would have been nice to have a heads up....I've been looking over those old cases myself..What we can do is neutralize anybody that can hurt us...Starting with that girl....That damn druggie who pt us in the jackpot in the first place....Shut her up....and I mean shut her up permanently...."said James Swift..

"Will do sir.."said Harry Swain...

(TO BE CONTINUED)





3 comments:

Toni said...

I love when these guys go out of town for cases!

Angie B. said...

I love these crossover episodes!

Sunflower said...

I like the crossover stories too!