Monday, January 13, 2020

It's That Sudden Impact

A Monday Morning in the city... Ms. Yvette walked to work  today....She whistled a tune she had just heard on the radio and stopped by her favorite Truck..

"Heyyyyy Yvette" said the man inside the truck....He stared at her breasts a little too long...

"Jasper, you gonna take my order or stare at my cleavage?" she asked and smiled..

"Girl if I was 30 years younger...I'd give you an answer you wouldn't expect....What are you having today?" he asked..

"Can I have an everything bagel on a plain bagel..toasted, and a medium French roast coffee, three creams, six sugars..." she said and plunked a few dollars on the counter...

"You want coffee with that sugar huh Vettie?" said Jasper..

Yvette laughed..

"Uh huh?" she said...

Jasper , a white man ,older than her father had been flirting with her since she stared working here many years ago...

She loved their lively ,sometimes raucous banter and some days, she looked forward to it..

It was pretty lonely for her around the office..

Now of days...


I was second chair on a big murder case with Attorney Calvin Hunt...

 My Homie Kahlil, Attorney Kahlil Ahmed
and Attorney Ray St. Jacques were working on a big litigation across town....

 My girlfriend, Bee Bee, Attorney Beatrice Evans
was surprisingly enough, working a big litigation across town in another office with Ray's wife, Attorney Kayla Bennett St. Jacques, cousin of Olivia and Beverly.


And Little Mamasita, Attorney Sofia Garcia,


was working a case with our friend, Attorney Jessica Sanchez...

It was pretty empty in our little suite...

Yvette was happy for the experience we were getting, working with seasoned attorneys...There was no education like it...but she missed us...The office was so quiet....

Even our Investigator, Ms. Jade wasn't around...Out of town on some personal business for the past few days.
While she was waiting for her bagel to be prepared..

Another meeting was going on at our law firm of McCluskey/Cozen/Connor and Pratt.







II-
Para Legal and Law Student , Myra Edelman walked into the office of Attorney, Brett Myers, an Associate Attorney with the firm...

"You called me Mr. Myers?" she asked..

"Yes Myra....You've been a Para -Legal and an intern here for two years haven't you?" asked Brett.

"I have." she sighed...He had given her nothing but negative evaluations and reviews, never anything positive...She would be graduating from law school in a few months and she was planning to leave here..She was hoping a few other attorneys she had friendly relationships would give her a good review, help her get an internship or a job..

"You haven't done the best work for me you know...I haven't said anything to the partners..but I do get tired of carrying a person....When do you finish law school?" he asked.

"I finish in May...and I've already signed up to take the bar." she said..

"I hope you're a better attorney than you've been as a para-legal because frankly, you suck" he said and laughed...

"Gee you say the nicest things." she said sarcastically.

She was soooo tired of his demeaning soul killing remarks and his condescending tones...She often went home in tears after a day with him...She couldn't wait until May when she graduated to be free of him forever...

"I lost our last client...He fired me and uh he made baseless claims to the partners about me...I could have used a heads up ...A Good Para-Legal would have been on top of that." he said..

"An Ethical Attorney wouldn't have been sleeping with his client's wife!" she said..

He had slept with his client's wife!....He had had his eyes on her from the moment he agreed to represent them...

She didn't believe the man had gone to the partners....If he had , Brett Meyers would have been fired..
He more or less just fired him as his attorney..

She was certain Brett thought she had told the man about the tawdry affair..She hadn't..Not in so many words..She mentioned it to somebody who mentioned it to somebody else , who probably told the husband...No way that should have gotten back to him...

"Okay....I see our relationship has gone as far as it can go...I brought you something in parting.." he said and passed her a box..

Now she was surprised...

"In parting?A present?" she said, very surprised..She opened the box and pulled out it's contents...

It was an axe....The wooden head of it was rubber though...

"It's Rubber....An Axe???I don't understand!" she said..

"It's an Axe...Get it? I'm Giving you the Axe...HAhahahahahahahahahahahaha, You're fired!!!...Clean out your desk..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" he laughed..

She put the axe on his desk...

"You know what? Take that Axe and shove it up your ass, you condescending piece of shit!" she snarled and tossed the Axe against the wall..

He was stunned she would talk to him like that! His mouth dropped open...then turned into a surly smile..

Startled , he grabbed his phone..

"SECURITY!!!" he yelled..

"Save it you little prick!...I'm not going to hurt you....NOT YET!...I'll see you in court...I'm gonna sue your ass for workplace harassment and wrongful termination..." she said and stormed out of his office, slamming the door hard!

While down on the street...

"There you go Ms. Yvette, right out of the oven with all of the fixins, just like you like.."said Jasper..

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu it smells good....Thank you so much Jasper.."said Yvette

as he passed her her tumbler of coffee...

Neither Yvette or Jasper heard the glass breaking several floors above or saw

 Brett Meyers body hurtling out of the window...His eyes as wide as saucers, his face , a look of pure horror!!His face beaten so bloody it was swollen and nearly unrecognizable....

"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" screaming....


Yvette had just stepped into the doorway of her building when

 Brett Myers's body came crashing into the top of the small food truck...The force of his body hitting and going through the roof of the truck ,killing him and Jasper on impact!!!

"OH MY GODDDDDDD!" Yvette screamed as people rushed to the scene...

Brett Myers legs stuck from the top of the food truck, he was dead!!!.....Jasper lie inside,also dead, killed from the impact!!





III-

The Crime Scene Investigation guys were snapping photos ,some were upstairs in the office where it occurred..

Dr. Hazel Baylor was examining both bodies...

"Oh My God...Blood everywhere..." she said..

Lt. Tragg and three uniformed officers walked up...

Hazel sighed...

Working with Lt. Sissy Van Buren and her detectives had spoiled her...She hated it when Lt. Tragg came to a crime scene...

"Geez, what happened here?" he asked..

"This guy here either jumped or was thrown out of that window on the 24th floor...We don't know yet,some uniforms are up there.."said Hazel...

''Any witnesses?" he asked..

Hazel hated to do it...but she pointed to a sobbing Yvette Jones...who was being comforted by a uniformed officer..

''She witnessed impact....She had just paid for a bagel and a coffee right before it happened.."said Hazel.

"Geez, what a way to start your morning...."said Lt. Tragg as he walked toward Yvette.. she was still sobbing and shaking... He knelt down and spoke to her softly....

"Yvette.....Yvette ! Hi honey, look....I uh need you to tell me what you saw darlin.." he said..

"I was,...I was just talking to Jasper.....I had just paid for my bagel and my coffee and I heard a scream from afar and the body hit....I never saw anything like it...Oh My god!" said Yvette, who was still shaking..

Lt. Tragg put his arm around her...Odd for him...She and her attorneys had made him look like a fool on the stand how many times and had won cases in which he had made arrests....Today..was different, they weren't sparring in a courtroom...They were human beings..He hugged her....A side of him rarely seen..

"It's gonna be alright Yvette....It's gonna be alright....I'm going to need you to identify these bodies...I hope this doesn't traumatize you...Just come with me..He said softly and slowly walked her to the street..

"Just take your time!" he said softly....

Yvette looked at the first body...

"That's Brett Myers...He's an associate Attorney with my firm....His office is a floor below mine..I've known him a few years...Just in passing...We weren't friends...We never worked together.."said Yvette.

Brett's face had been beaten so badly , he was barely recognizable!

She looked at the next body and burst into tears....

"That's Jasper!!!....Jasper Edison...My friend....I've known him as long as I've worked here...I bought hot  Doughnuts and Bagels fresh from the oven on this cart and hot coffee since my first day of work..He was my friend...He didn't deserve this..He didn't desrve this..!"she said and began to cry profusely...

Hazel took Yvette into her arms and hugged her...

"It's alright Vettie...It's okay! His death was quick...he didn't suffer...He never knew what hit him!" she said soothingly...

"This poor guy on this truck was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...Poor guy...never saw it comin...Damnnnnn!  Thanks Yvette....No more questions....Come on guys...Let's go upstairs...Look at that office..."said Lt. Tragg and he and his men headed inside..

IV-

"Whoa, what happened here?" I said...

The four of us was coming down the street when we saw the body of Jasper Edison being carted away...

"Whoa...Look at that hole in the food cart...Something happened to Ole Jasper...Damnnnnn I liked him...He made the best doughnuts and Bagels." I said..

"Nooooooooooooo..He always made me Churros....Only White man I knew who knew how to make them right. Krispy Crème and Dunkin Donuts had nothing on ole Jasper...Awwwww mannn" said Sofia...

"Oh My God Look...It's Brett Myers..."said Bee Bee..

As the second body was being carted off..

"He worked on the 24th floor...right under us...I never liked him."said Kahlil..

"I never liked that guy either...He and his smart ass remarks about Affirmative Action.Like that's the only way I got to this firm..." I said.

"Yeah and he asked me was I an Immigrant.." said Kahlil..

"He tried to flirt with me at the company Christmas Party just passed...Got drunk and got a little too touchy feely...He creeped me out...I got away from him..."said Bee Bee..

"And his Pig Latin jokes didn't go over too well with me either......"said Sofia..

"Still , he's dead...Guess we shouldn't speak ill of the dead..." I said..

Even though I don't think the four of us was sad that he was dead... Mr. Edison on the other hand was another story...His fresh Bagels and Doughnuts and his good coffee would be missed greatly...plus he was a hell of a nice guy.

Ms. Yvette had composed herself by now...

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked..

"Ms. Yvette, you've been crying....Did you see it?" asked Bee Bee.

"I had just paid for my bagel and coffee and stepped away when the body hit...."said Ms. Yvette.

 ''Aye Mios Dios."said Sofia.
 "WOWWWW!"said Kahlil..
"Damn!" I said..

"So you guys didn't answer my question...What are you doing here?" asked Ms. Yvette..

"Me and Calvin got an acquittal..We had rested our case Friday..." I said..

"Jessica and I got an Acquittal too...Keith and I literally ran into each other after court.."said Sofia..

"Kayla and I got a nice settlement for our client...I couldn't believe how easy that was.."said Bee Bee..

"Yeah, Ray and I settled up too.."said Kahlil...

"Outstanding..."said a smiling Yvette...

By now a huge crowd was outside the building...and on the street...

Founding partner Sam Cozen was the first Partner on the street...

"Ohhh my God...What the hell happened here?" he asked..

"Looks like Brett Myers took a header from his suite and landed in that Food truck, killing poor Mr. Edison too..." I said..

"Ohhh hell...what a mess...The man made great Churros..."said Sam Cozen..
"Ohhhhh Didn't he? I loved them."said Sofia...

Mr. McClusky, another founding Partner put his arms around Ms. Yvette..

"You alright Vettie?" he asked..

''Yes...I suppose so...It was a just a shock to see that.."said Yvette..
"Go home Yvette, take the day off...All of you..."said Mike Pratt, another partner...
 "Thank You sir.."said Kahlil..
"Thank you."said Bee Bee...

"I'm closing the whole office....What a mess..."said McCluskey...

"I'll have grief counselors here tomorrow for those who need them."said Sam Cozen...

Mike Pratt whispered to me..

"Those counselors will be for Mr. Edison there...No one will be grieving Brett Myers...He was a class A prick!" he said..


Kahlil and I smiled...It was after all true....Not many if anybody liked Brett Meyers.

 Lt. Tragg and three officers walked out...They Had Myra Edelman in handcuffs..
"Let me go...Let me go you cornball, keystone cop,....I'm telling you I didn't kill that little shit..I'm not sorry he's dead, but I didn't do it...Let me go.." she protested..

"Tell it to the Judge babe...."said Lt. Tragg..

"Myra?" said Bee Bee, who obviously knew her..

"Bee Bee....I didn't do this!!!!...I swear.!!!!...Help me Bee Bee.." Myra protested, tears welling up in her eyes..


"Ms. Yvette, I know her!!!...She's in law school..She's a Para Legal....We've been friendly since I started here...She's no killer.."said Bee Bee..

"I know her too....Do you want to look into this?" asked Ms. Yvette..

Bee Bee sighed..

"I just finished a big case...I'm tired...but I just don't think Myra is capable of this.."said Bee Bee..

 "Then girlfriend....I am with you...."said Sofia..
 "You know I'm with you babes.."I said..
"I'm all in Bee.."said Kahlil...

"Well...that's the spirit guys...We'll collect ourselves...Get a good nights sleep and tomorrow we go down and arrange her bail.."said Yvette.

"Where is Ms. Jade?" I asked..

None of us had seen Ms. Jade for a few days...

"She's around."said Yvette..

"Jade was out of town on some personal business...She'll be in tomorrow." said Yvette.

 "I don't think she did this...Old Tragg rushing to Justice again...Yvette if you and your guys need anything..I'm a phone call away."said McCluskey..
"We'll take care of bail if you can get it.."said Sam Cozen....

"But go home, get some rest first...then come in fresh in the morning." said Mike Pratt....

We all went home...




The partners gave everybody the day off and closed the office...

Gary stopped by...

"I heard what happened today....Are you alright?" he asked..

"Yes...I suppose I will be...Oh My God...I had stepped away ,no more than a split second and his body hit..."said Yvette..

"Life is soo random...A split second and just like that...Everything changes..."said Gary...

"I don't want me and you to change.....You still love me?" she asked..

"You know I do."said Gary...

He took her in his arms and kissed her passionately....

"Mmmmmmmmmm, I love you too...Mnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" Yvette moaned..

"Ohhhhh girl..." moaned Gary...

They tried to devour each others lips...

The lunch cart remained there in front of the building...with a huge hole in the top, dried blood stains all over it...

and in our building on the the 24th floor, the shattered glass remained ,along with police tape...a grim  reminder of what just happened today!


(TO BE CONTINUED)





10 comments:

Toni said...

OH MY GOD! You started today with a bang!

Angie B. said...

He always does!

Sunflower said...

Incredible beginning..

Brenda said...

I was surprised at how gentle Lt. Tragg was with Yvette...I like how you show different sides of your charactors...He's not all bad..All of your charactors appear to be multi-dimensional..Like real people..Love how you show that.

Rita said...

Awesome Writing!

Halo said...

Gotta say...Your murder victim isn't all that sympathetic..At least one of them!

Lisa said...

What a beginning...Loved the interaction between Yvette and Lt. Tragg...but he has once again grabbed the wrong suspect..

Vanessa said...

It's obvious to anyone except Lt. Tragg..That it would probably take a man to throw that guy out of a window and into the street like that!

Cheryl said...

I agree with you Vanessa...but here in is our story...Their client!

Grover Tha Playboy said...

Your murder victim , not the vendor, is not sympathetic at all...In fact...I was laughing when he came flying out of the window...He got what he deserved...Giving her an axe as a parting gift and making a joke about it was beyond cruel!