Friday, May 8, 2009

Come Heavy


"Chess, did you get the money I sent in the envelope?" said Cherry.

"Yeah, I got it..thank you." I said rather dryly...

"I want you to know that I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to just leave you like that. I got scared."
she said.

"Scared of what?" I asked almost incredulous.

" You were talking about me getting divorced and us getting together and getting a lawyer and I
didn't really know if that meant me having to face my husband and all and I just panicked." she said.

"Well Cherry, your husband is in jail and from what I see, you're doing pretty good yourself."
I said.

"Yeah...I've only been with Fathead a few months...I needed somebody to take care of me..but I'm not really feeling him, you know...I mean, he's aliiigt, but he just doesn't do it for me." she said.

"Oh he don't? Did I do it for you?" I asked.

"You did Chess...you really did...hurting you was the biggest mistake of my life. (pause) I suppose you're back with babymama huh?" she said.

"Yup...I am." I said.


"Chess...come on, get off that phone..we gotta get out of here." said Donald Smooth. He had driven me by my business office. I had went in the safe and taken out about one hundred thousand in cash and had put it in a small breif case. Per Chris's advice, Smooth and I were to leave Philly for a little while until things were cool with Diamond Jack.

"Okay Smooth...Hey Cherry look...I really do have some things I want to talk to you about, but I
have to go now...I'm sure Fathead is planning to go now too." I said.

"Yeah, he's already packed...we are in the supermarket picking up a few things. I want to talk to
you too Chess...I guess I'll see you in a few."she said.

"Yeah ,I guess so." I said as I put my Blackberry in it's holder.

Something about this afternoon didn't set right with me...It just seemed too quiet...like something was about to jump off..We hadn't heard a peep out of Diamond Jack since his threat two weeks before. Chris and Fathead had guys in Atlantic City looking for him, but he was nowhere to be found. We called Allejandro, our former contact in New York City. He hadn't been seen there either and he certaainly wasn't in Philly...or was he?

We were taking Smooth's Car...Both of my cars were in a garage , where they couldn't be found or tampered with. Just as we were leaving my office..the peace and quiet of the past few weeks came to an abrupt end...The plate glass window of my office exploded!! Two guys in white t-shirts, jeans and sneakers were blasting away with uzis..Smooth and I hit the ground..He motioned for me to be silent....He dropped and rolled like the ex-military man he was and came up on one knee, blasting away with his .45.... The first guy fell to the ground...deader than a door
knob. The other guy continued to fire...but by now, I had my peice out and I returned his fire...

He ran behind a moving car, ducking and shooting...While the driver,drove with one hand and was shooting at us with another....Smooth's gun blasted again...this time the second shooter slumped up against a parked car and fell dead also...Smooth and I fired at the car...We heard a sound like -"Uggggh" and the car spun wildly out of control and crashed into a stop sign....it's driver very,very dead..

We didn't hang around to find out..We got in Smooth's car. I could see why they called him "Smooth"...He didn't break a sweat..He put the car in reverse and backed down the driveway into the adjoining street,then gunned it and took off into the West Philly night...

I would find out later (From Cherry) That Fathead had uninvited dinner guests of his own. While in the supermarket, Five young guys in White wife beaters, jeans and sneakers carrying
pistols opened fire at the big man...He pushed her out of harms way and ran for all he was worth.
Fathead was nearly 300 pounds...but he was as light on his feet as Allen Iverson. The Five Guys
took chase as Fathead ran and knocked over everything and everyone in sight...People in the supermarket began screaming and running for cover as the five guys gave chase...Fathead was tossing cartons of milk and orange juice at them and running.

Outside, one of Fathead's bodyguards had already killed the driver of the SUV that these guys came in...He walked into the supermarket, undetected, amongst all of the screaming and running
customers and took straight aim....calmly and cooly and picked off all five of the gunmen, like it
was nothing. He put his pistol back in his waistband and quietly walked back outside..got in his car and pulled off... Fathead had escaped out of the back of the supermarket and hauled ass...leaving Cherry behind with the other screaming customers and five dead men inside and one dead man outside...In the space of one hour, nine men had lost their lives and for what? A card game??? It just didn't make sense.

Later that night, Fathead, Chris, Smooth and myself met in the upstairs office of one of my gyms
after closing...Fathead was incensed....

"He's so dead Chris...yall aint gotta worry about nothing...He's done..I'm sending all the muscle I
can pay to AC to blow his ass into the ocean..tonight ...awwwww....awww, it's on baby..it's on and
crackin." said Fathead...

"Fathead....Fathead...Calm down baby....that aint the way to get to him....That's what he expects,
that's why he's hiding...We don't do nothin." said Chris.

Smooth,Fathead and I looked at Chris-

"What? Nothin...Hey man, he tried to kill us tonight, what you mean we don't do nothin?" asked
Smooth.

Chris looked at Fathead and Smooth in a way in which they knew not only not to challenge him ,but not to say anymore.

"Do Nothin....The quiet is gonna kill him...The quiet is gonna drive him out of whatever hole he's
hiding in....and when he come out...Well, then we'll deal with him....Now, I know how you guys feel..but you got to play this smart...The Feds and Homicide are gonna be all over this..We don't
want to expose ourselves and have our names in the paper...Let's all just lay low , keep it quiet.
I got a feeling we'll hear something about Diamond Jack soon.

"My cell phone is buzzin...who could be callin me now?" thought Fathead.

Chris sat back and smiled...He tapped my arm...I looked at him and I whispered-

"That might be Diamond Jack."

Chris laughed-

"I'm bettin it aint....That there is your girl..."

"My girl?" I whispered.

Chris made a shush sound, then said to me-

"Chess, listen and learn baby."

"Hello?" said Fathead

"Hello?..Hello? is that all you got to say to me ,you fat punk...You ran like a bitch and left
me in that supermarket..and didn't even come back to see if I was alright..."

"Baby, they had guns, they was tryin to kill me...I knew that they wasn't gonna do nothin
to you...are you alright?" said Fathead.

"No thanks to you...Your damn bodyguard polished them off and then got in his car and left,
he didn't even look for me...you call yourself a gangster...huh?? I never want to see you again
in my life...you fat punk."

"Aww now baby, baby..please baby please...now let me explain.. Now see it wasn't even like that,
what had happened was..."

Click!

Chris looked at me...I looked at him...Neither one of us wanted to laugh, so we held it in until later. Smooth smiled a bit..then looked at the floor.

"Fathead....did you bring any food?" asked Chris, trying to ease the man's embarrasment and change the subject.

"Yeah ,uh yeah man....I brought us some Cheese Steaks and a couple of Italian Hoagies..they over there on the table." said Fathead, obviously and rarely in no mood to eat. I actually felt sorry for him.

'What you bring to drink?" asked Chris.

"Huh?"said Fathead...

"To drink...to drink!! brother..." said Chris ..

"Oh I got some Cokes and I know you drink Pepsi right? in Chess's fridge...

"Good..Let's get up on this food man, I'm hungry...We'll worry about the Diamond man tomorrow." said Chris...

"Mann, that's the best idea I heard tonight" said Donald Smooth.

We all tore into the Cheese Steaks and the Hoagies and the sodas and sat in my office til well after midnight, laughing and eating...We didn't mention Diamond Jack anymore that night.


(Conclusion next.....)

19 comments:

James Perkins said...

Well worth the wait Keith...This was action packed..just the way I like a good story.

Toni said...

Aww,I'm not first over here!! Great Story Keith..I loved it..Can't wait to see how this plays out!

Angie B. said...

This was the business Keith..Now,they got to get this guy and make him pay...I know they are,just want to see how they do it.

Sean said...

Man Keith,I'm speechless!

Solomon said...

Diamond Jack is gonna be hatin life, that nigga is gonna pay, I can't wait to find out how they draw him out.

Simon Bastion said...

Great Story Keith...I was hopin they got Diamond jack in this episode.

Grover Tha Playboy said...

This was the business Keith...I loved it...Now, it's time for the boys to come back on Diamond Jack.

Jazzy said...

Fantastic!! Loved all of the action..Loved the interplay between Cherry and Fathead.
Can't wait for the conclusion.

Swaggie said...

Man....This was incredible..Can't wait to see Chris and Fathead strike back.

Tate2 said...

That Diamond Jack really did "Come Heavy"....Wow..he sent a team of hitters to get our guys and not one of em made it out of Philly alive. He's got to be feeling some kind of way right about now, where-ever he is..He might back down..if he's smart. lolol.

Cheryl said...

This had everything I could have wanted in the story...Thing is though..I wanted to see more of Chess and Cherry..I just know something is going to pop off between them..They left some unfinished business.

Sunflower said...

Wow ,this was action packed...I must admit..I did want to know more about Chess and Cherry's relationship. Waiting breathlessly for the conclusion.

Brenda said...

This had me on the edge of my seat... Laughing my ass off at Fathead in the supermarket ,running and throwing milk cartons and orange juice at the hitmen.

Lisa said...

Loved it Keith...That Fathead has nine lives....He has gotten in the wind before and escaped would be killers.

Halo said...

This was so good...I read it twice
Keith. I hate that this is coming to a close.. I hope they get Diamond Jack, can't stand him.

Vanessa said...

Keith,Keith,Keith...You have outdone yourself over here...You are doin the dayum thing with this.. Hope to see more Cherry..
and sure hope Diamond Jack gets his.

Captain Jack said...

Wooooo Lawd...this was hella great
Keith!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhh, panties off and soaked!
:)

SLC said...

For some reason I hear Luther's song about creepin' into my dreams. Something about the ever regretful Cherry, who paid Chess back with Fatheads money, trying to creep back into Chess' bead. Like Halo said, hate to see it end.