Saturday, January 6, 2018

Nobody Loses

On the day our trial started....The sun rose over the city......I stood in her bedroom and watched as Bee Bee put the final touches on herself..

''You know ,if you keep staring at me like that Keith, your eyeballs are gonna fall outta your head."said Bee Bee, who giggled....I know she liked the fact that I was staring at her..
"Am I staring that hard?" I asked..

"Yeah you are...but it's okay....I kinda like it....It means you approve..." she said softly...

"Oh Most definitely....You ready?" I asked..

"Yeah..."she said and stared at me with those soulful eyes of hers...

before we knew it, we were kissing each other passionately.....

I had spent the night in her apartment......Sofia had spent the night with Khalil..

I heard the key in the door....They were coming in.....

 "Okay...back up off my roomie...We gotta be in court..." joked Sofia..
Khalil just laughed....
"What's so funny Khalil?" asked Bee Bee..

"My homeboy here...He always had a crush on you...From day one..... He told me you'd never be down for a guy like him...I used to tell him, he should at least try....Talk to you about it...You know what he said? He said it would ruin yall friendship....And he didn't want to do that...Sheeeeesh!" he laughed..

"I used to say the same thing to Sofia...It's a wonder Keith and I got together....but I'm so glad we did." she said smiling..

"Yeah , me too!" I said...
''We taking my car?" asked Sofia.
''Yeah, why not?" I said.
''Let's get it! Showtime guys!" said Khalil.
II-
Court was packed for this trial.....


Khalil and I hustled our client, Hot Rod Harry past the reporters and media people... We told him... "No comment!"

Lt. Arthur Tragg, the arresting officer however had a lot to say at the press conference, much to the consternation of ADA Rockland Cambridge,
who I got the feeling, didn't care for Lt. Tragg too much..  He was the arresting officer in all three cases he lost to Olivia Bennett-Alexander and Beverly West..

Sitting in the very back row of the spectator section was Attorney Yvette Jones..
Our Supervisor and handler....She was like a protective Mother to us...  Also sitting across from her was
Alfreda Johnson, Rockland's current girlfriend...She was strikingly beautiful...An older woman, who unknown to us at the time..was the mother of attorney, Beverly West.... She had no idea that Yvette was Rockland's former lover, but Yvette knew who she was...

Today was going to be very interesting...to say the least....The tension in this courtroom was thick!

III-
Rockland Cambridge was very articulate and very dramatic....He connected with jurors...I could see why he rarely lost  a trial...He was very skilled..

He made a brilliant sumnation that impressed even me....Then he called several witnesses..Forensic Witnesses...This is usallly boring and unchallenged....He didn't know Bee Bee or Sofia.


Green as they were...They comported themselves as though they had been practicing law for years...They were unafraid and unintimidated by everything...

They challenged every single witness and got them to all but admit...That none of the limited evidence they pulled clearly led to our client...

Our Client Hot Rod Harry smiled and whispered to me..

"You know...I thought you guys might be a tad inexperienced to deal with that guy....but you guys are alright..."he said...

His first choice had been our partner, Mr. McClusky...But he was tied up in a big case....He could have passed this case on to one of the other partners or Associate Attorneys...He passed it to us..


Khalil and I continued to give Rockland problems....Problems he couldn't object to...That's how tight our rebuttals were....

The Judge, a female looked as if she was quite impressed with us...
Rockland looked rattled for the first time...

Three days into the trial and he began to look as if he might just lose this case.. All of this and he hadn't made his closing arguments yet...

We hadn't even begun our defense yet and I could tell that the jury was swaying our way....


Five days later.....Yvette was sitting in Josies's enjoying a drink, when Gary Lockwood walked in...

"Guess you've been busy huh?" she said.. She hadn't heard from him in four days....

"Before you get mad at me...Look what I found " he said and passed her a file...She leafed through it..

''What is this?" she asked..
''The Ex-Wife of Hot Rod Harry....His first wife....She apparently hired a P.I. from Camden to follow his every move and photograph him and his wife...Here are phone records of calls she made to the wife right up until the day of the wife's murder....And look at this....A Credit card receipt...She bought a bike from this Bike shop and charged it to her credit card....Same Bike in this photo...of a man ,leaving the scene of the murder of Hot Rod Harry's wife...and further more..look...She took a considerable amount of money out of her account on these two dates up until the murder....I suspect to pay a man to kill Harry's wife.."  said Gary...

"Oh My God!!!!"said Yvette....
"The Camden P.D. has a warrant out for her....I think she might be able to fill in the blanks to a lot of questions...

Pass this on to your guys....By the way...They've been doing a fantastic job....You might want to get them a good investigator for next time..."he said.

"Gary...What about Rockland?" she asked...

"I passed this information on to him.....I don't know if he'll use it or supresss it...But just in case he chooses to press this further....Your guys have it too!.....You're Welcome!" he said and went to get up...
"Gary wait...Wait....Let me pay my tab!....Let's go back to my place..."said Yvette...
Gary smiled sheepishly.....

IV-

We were in the fifth day of our defense, We had been scoring a lot of points, Much to ADA Rockland Cambridge's consternation......The thought of losing to four first year Attorneys had given him a mild case of agita.

ADA Rockland Cambridge called us all to a sidebar..

He showed us and the judge new evidence he had.....He had no idea that we also had and were using some of the same evidence.


Yvette and I had had another secret meeting at some out of way bar a few days before


 and she  had passed this information on to me..




Bee Bee, Khalil, Sofia and I  stood and listened as Rockland spoke..

"In Lieu of the new information my office has obtained... The people rule to dismiss all charges against Mr. Henderson....." he said.

The Judge agreed....

"SO BE IT....All CHARGES ARE DROPPED AGAINST MR. HENDERSON....HE IS FREE TO GO!" said the Judge....


I pulled Bee Bee to me and kissed her..
"We did it baby, we won!" I said softly..
"Wow, we didn't have to go to the jury." said Sofia...

"WOW!" said Khalil.....

Yvette walked over to us...She was ecstatic...

"Come here...Group hug!"she said and hugged all four of  us....

"I'm so proud of you guys...You just don't know how proud I am!" she said..

Hot Rod Harry Henderson was ecstatic..

"McCluskey was right on the money about you guys....You're the best....Wait til I call him." he said.. And then he addressed the press...
For Rockland...It wasn't a loss.....He had dropped charges because of new evidence...He hadn't had to go to a jury and risk losing a case...

He patted his investigator, Gary Lockwood on the back...

"Good Work man...I'm glad you're on my team...If it wasn't for you...I might have suffered the most embarrassing loss of my career. " he said.

Gary smiled ruefully......

"Just doin my job boss man." he said..
He turned towards Lt. Tragg....

"Tragg, this makes four times you have done shoddy police work.....My Investigator saved us all from a major embarrassment.....Those four so called Green Attorneys might have embarrassed me greatly had it not been for Mr.Lockwood, your former colleauge..... I think you're in the wrong line of work and I'm going to impress that on your superiors.."said Rockland..

"Well Laaaaaaaa Deee Dahhh!" Lt. Tragg retorted and stormed out of the courthouse...

Alfreda was waiting for Rockland as he left the courtroom...

"Come here baby....It's alright.."she said... and kissed him passionately...

"That Lt. Tragg is such a butt head...he makes me sooo mad.."said Rockland, almost in tears....

''Don't think about him baby....It's over now....Let's go buy a nice bottle and get a room and work it all out."she said..
"That sounds so good....I'm so angry at that butthead Tragg right now!" he said.

"You'll be fine..Forget about him...The trial is over..."she said..
She kissed him passionately again....His body shook and tears ran down the side of his face....

I saw Yvette standing behind them, I knew how fragile she got when she saw Rockland...Believe it or not , even though I was through crushing on her...I still cared about her in a way that surprised even me...


Yvette watched the entire thing and watched  as they left...She shook her head.....She couldn't believe he was such a baby over the trial, but then again she could....She dated him for two years...She put up with his temper tantrums...She didn't miss that part of him at all..

"You alright Ms. Yvette?" I asked..

She turned and smiled at me..

"You don't know how alright I am...She can have him!!....I can't deal with all of that....I'm just fine...Thanks for asking and for not telling the others that I gave you that information...I'm still proud of all of you.....Go out and celebrate tonight...You've all got the next two days off!" she said...

I walked over to Bee Bee,Sofia and Khalil..

''We have the next two days off...Boss Lady said so..Said she's proud of all of us.."I said.

"Ummmmmmmmmmmm  good!"  said Bee Bee..

''Let's go out and have a nice meal...Just the four of us.."said Sofia..

"I know a place with Sirloin Steaks this thick...and they have a nice wine collection too...It's not far from here...I know the head chef!"said Khalil..
"I'm sold...Lead the way buddy.." I said, as we all exited..
Yvette stood by herself on the courthouse steps and watched the four of us leave together.....

She was proud of us and as happy as a proud mother of her children....The Partners would be ecstatic...She was going to get us an investigator...She thought to herself..



EPILOUGE-

The Camden Police arrested Hot Rod Harry's first wife and she confessed to hiring a hitman to kill his present wife....

The Hitman, John Jurgens was arrested in Cleveland ,Ohio and extradited to Philadelphia to stand trial for First Degree Murder...

Rockland tried both of them and won his 80th and 81st straight cases  , They were convicted and both sentenced to Life ,no parole....

He complained bitterly about Lt. Tragg....but as of this date...Nothing has been done about him..

And at Yvette's apartment....The sounds of sweet love making could be heard from the open window...

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.."moaned Gary....
He was over Yvette's apartment....making sweet love to her....

"Now this is what I call a reward....Lawddddddddddddddddddd!"he moaned...

"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gary, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh work me, work me....work me like a damn job baby!"she cooed..

 "Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lawddddddddd!" he moaned...


"Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Gary...Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my goodness...ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.." she squealed...


Her bed was rocking from side to side, the headboard was slamming against the wall....

And meanwhile...

Bee Bee and I were in my apartment...She was sitting on my lap..We were looking out the window....

"I'm so glad that trial is over and we have some down time." she said...

''Yeah me too!"I said, as I hugged her....She leaned her head into my shoulders.....I slyly ran my hands up her night shirt and slowly slipped her panties down and off..

She smiled..

"You're uh getting a little too good at that mister.." she said..

I hugged her...and laughed....

"I'm good at a lot of things.." I said..

She turned towards me and kissed me slowly...

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmm show meee.." she said.




1 comment:

SLC said...

Yep. Classic. Scintillating. First time I've ever used that word lol.